redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

7a. Vespers, story 1 (dusk) - G

Post by redwinter101 »

Title: Vespers (1)
Author: redwinter101
Rating: G
Disclaimer: I don't own Moonlight or any of its characters
Note: this is the first of two stories for Vespers, the seventh story in the Divine Office series, and it takes place at dusk. I've wanted to write this for ages, so I hope you like it. But it's so very, very brief that there is another, longer story coming up a little later. Don't say you don't get value for money. This is post-Sonata.

*************************************************************************************************************

--- Vespers ---

"Cheers!"

"Is that for me, or the sunset?"

"Even after four hundred years, it never gets old, buddy. Never." Josef took a deep draft, emptying his glass with an almost imperceptible smack of his lips. They stood side by side on the balcony, their occasional, cherished ritual at the ending of another day in the human world and the beginning of another night in theirs.

"I'll have to take your word for it."

Josef spun on his heel, fixing Mick with a grin, "Yes, you will. Because the likelihood of you ever reaching my venerable age is slim to remote. At least as long as you keep insisting on 'helping' ungrateful humans with their missing children and errant spouses." Mick kept his eyes fixed on the embers of the sinking sun but he could feel Josef's indulgent eye-roll.

"But how else would I fill my long nights otherwise? The devil makes work for idle hands, Josef, as you know better than most."

"He does if you'll give him half a chance." Josef glanced at his watch, gliding back through the loft, reaching for his jacket, "And anyway, I thought you'd found far more interesting ways of filling your cold, lonely evenings these days?"

Beth chose precisely that moment to announce her arrival with a click of the door. Josef halted mid-pace, turning to Mick with a smirk, "The prosecution rests."

But his parry was lost, his audience gone, "Hey," Mick moved forward, drawn, the warmth of smile meeting smile.

"Third wheel again," Josef snorted. "Beth, lovely to see you. Mick, idle hands, my friend," waggling his fingers for emphasis, he slipped on his jacket and headed out the door, "Millions to make, careers to ruin, so spare a thought for a working stiff, won't you?"

Mick's soft laugh subsided and silence fell as the door closed, Josef's vibrant hum lingering. Beth pulled him into her arms as the soft lights glowed to life; another day over, another night beginning, each player in their allotted role.

In this brief, precious moment, all was right with the world.

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Vespers, story 1 (dusk) - G

Post by francis »

You're bringing gifts to your birthday, and who except for Laokoon would oppose that?

Lovely little scene where they all three fill their role and are content in them. Your Josef snark is absolutely spot on.

Thank you! :hearts:
eris
Sire

Post by eris »

Sweet story, though I wonder if that last line doesn't hold something ominous for the future.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Man... reading this at dusk, or near dusk--still early but a cloudy day here. How peaceful and perfect is this??? :cloud9: :cloud9:
Sadly, I got miles to go before I sleep, or party, or even relax, but for just a brief little moment, this brought peace to my end of the day... :happysigh:

A little gem, this one. :hearts:
Another happy birthday present to yourself??? You give the BEST gifts. :biggrin: :smooch:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Lovely, Red

There is nothing vastly significant in their day, to look back on in a century, or four and remember that at this point, the earth shifted beneath their feet. It was one of those brief, shining moments when they enjoy each others company and bask in the simple joy of being with one another.

Those brief shining moments are priceless. To me, Moonlight itself was one of those moments.

Thank you!

Jenna
Last edited by jen on Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

What a wonderful, friendship-filled, love-filled little sunset scene. So different from that dawn on the terrace in 12:04AM, when Mick pushed away the warmth Beth was trying to offer him. This is a much more content Mick. Not blissful, because let's face it: he's not ever going to be blissful for more than a few minutes at a stretch--it's not in his nature. But content, yes. Accepting of love.

Josef is great here. I love their friendship, their easy banter. I can see him waggling his fingers at Mick, and shooting a sharp glance at him through those deep-set eyes. And Mick, perfectly in sync with his friend until Beth shows up... and then switching focus completely. A man completely in love. Sigh... :hearts:

Thank you for this happy story. What a gift you've given us on your birthday! :rose:
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

:giggle: francis, nothing Greek here, I promise. :biggrin:

Oh, eris, there's always something ominous in the future for this bunch.

Grace, a little peace at the end of your day is a lovely thing. :smooch:

jen, thank you so much - and that's very much what this series is all about. Those small moments that make up a long, long life and carry the true measure in their importance. :rose:

Thanks, alle, it's nice to have just a little bit of uncomplicated happiness every now and then. :D

Red

GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Your birthday and WE get the gifts. How cool is that?! LOL

I started out here feeling good for Josef and sorry for Mick adn ended with the opposite.

But what really struck me is that even though Josef is alone and feeling like a third wheel, he is still meeting each sundown with hope. He knows that is the key to his longevity.

I too thought that last line sounded ominous.

On to read the rest.
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Indeed, you are a sweet and generous soul to share your visions of love and friendship on your birthday....thank you, sweetie :hug:

With a lovely image of the setting sun, one vampire happily embraces the encroaching dark, while the other turns toward the fading light and all are content.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Thanks, GA - I agree about Josef and hope. He may tire, he may get bored, but he's always looking for the next diversion.

dsr, thank you. :) A little bit of happy makes the world go round...

Red

Moonlightsonata
Rogue vampire

Post by Moonlightsonata »

Very very nice.
Thank you Coco for the lovely banner.
mitzie
Courtesan

Post by mitzie »

What a beautiful gift to give to us on your birthday Red! Thank you!! Everything is right with their world in this storm-free moment!!!! :hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2: :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: :angel: :jester: :rainbow: :highfive: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :thud: :thud: :notworthy: :hearts: :rose:

mitzie :mooncat:
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Moonlightsonata and mitzie, thank you both for the lovely comments. :ghug:

Red

fairytoes
Rogue vampire

Post by fairytoes »

:happysigh: Exactly what I needed after today. What a beautiful and peaceful story. :happysigh: :cloud9:

Thank you, Red. :flowers:
Wonderful Banner by Redwinter
Gorgeous Avi by Lilly
Thank you!
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

fairytoes wrote::happysigh: Exactly what I needed after today. What a beautiful and peaceful story. :happysigh: :cloud9:

Thank you, Red. :flowers:
:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: Thanks, fairytoes (and I'm sorry for your sucky day. :comfort2: ).

Red

Return to “The Divine Office”