A Game of Chess, Ch. 1 (PG-13)

darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: A Game of Chess, Ch. 1 (PG-13)

Post by darkstarrising »

Wonderful! Another glimpse into one of Josef's past lives. Loved how you set the tone of the time. The Civil War is raging, but for those with the means, they're unaffected. This sequence captures the feeling of their own self-importance.
Smith glanced around the other boxes, never letting his gaze stray down to the orchestra seats. After all, anyone worth knowing would be in a box. “Summer,” he said negligently. “No one in town if they can be elsewhere.”

“I don’t suppose they’d let a little thing like a civil war stand in the way of their seasonal migration.”

That bought him a laugh from Smith. “Not a chance, Fitz. New York society would refuse to acknowledge the Apocalypse, if it fell on an unacceptable date.”

Josef smirked. There was a reason he enjoyed Smith’s company, beyond the fellow feeling he had for another with a secret to hide. “How about the Second Coming?” he asked as innocently as he could.

Schuyler Smith snorted. “My dear Mr. Fitzgerald. His name is not found on the Social Register.”
Can't wait to see where you take us with this!
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Thank you for all the kind and perspicacious comments! I think we are off on an interesting journey with this one...quite different from the last, but I am looking forward to writing this as much as you are in reading it.

Feels good to have another historical going!

Lucky
MoonShadow
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by MoonShadow »

mmmm..... dessert is served!

I have been waiting almost a week for this and Lucky, you didn't disappoint me. Thank you for creaing yet another delightful work about Josef. I am particularly delighted to read Josef in New York.
Banner by Lilly

Be bloody, bold, and resolute; laugh to scorn
The power of man, for none of woman born
Shall harm Macbeth.

Macbeth, 4. 1
halfcent
Kostan Industries intern

Post by halfcent »

Finally, I have found the time to spend more than three minutes here at once! Time to read!!! This is the first one I have chosen to read because I am very fond of 'historical Josef' fics. There are so many here to read I didn't know where to start, so I headed for the recommendations thread, and I must say, this one deserves to be there. The first chapter really sets the stage and you have a very lyrical and poetic way of weaving words that is makes it wonderful to read.
On to the next chapter!
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Oh, halfcent, if you enjoy historical Josef...umm, I'm your girl, all right!

I'm so glad you've found my office, and hope you enjoy any and all my historical fics. I do want to warn you, this one is still very much in the "unfinished" category, and while I have most definitely not abandoned it, updates are coming pretty slowly these days.

Lucky
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Lucky

You have such a wonderful talent for vivid description and you know how to use it. You capture the sensory input and attitudes of another time and place very, very well transitioning characters we love into that era and locale.

Fabulous!
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix

Return to “A Game of Chess”