An Unexpected Gift (Rated G)

A place for GuardianAngel's G to PG-13 stories
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

An Unexpected Gift (Rated G)

Post by GuardianAngel »

I was unaware of the challenge until I'd read Pgal's. Her's sparked the idea for this. Mine will make more sense if you've read hers first. PNWgal's An Unexpected Gift

I think the idea of these short challenges is wonderful.

This was written quickly so I hope it's not totally awful.

An Unexpected Gift

Mick entered the office with a swagger, immediately grabbing the attention of the busy tycoon sitting behind the desk.

Josef cut his phone conversation short as his eyes wandered from the hazel eyes that sparkled with good humor to the smile that was loose and lively. The word that came to the vampire's mind was joyful. Mick was positively.....joyful!

The PI was sprawled in the leather chair, arms splayed, fingers tapping. Josef couldn't help but smile in return; he could practically feel the nerves humming across his desk. It was like being in a room with a swarm of bees.

"You look happy". It was the understatement of the year.

"I am." Mick let go of the words that had been burning in his head, his heart all morning. "She loves me." If possible, his face glowed.

"And this surprises you?" Josef raised his brows and sat back in his chair.

"Well, yeah." He bounced a hand, palm up, on the arm of the chair. "I never expected this to happen to me, Josef. Not after what Coraline did."

Josef smirked. "Turning you, you mean?"

"Yes. I couldn't see how she considered it a gift." Mick gave a snort and swiped at his nose with his thumb. "But you know what? It was. Being a vampire brought me to Beth." He shook his head. "It's amazing. She loves me. A vampire."

Josef got up and walked around to sit at the front of his desk, just in front of his friend. "She does. I know exactly how you feel, my friend."

The smile sobered for a moment as the image of a beautiful, supine redhead in a white lace gown merged with that of the naked, smiling blond he'd left just an hour before.

Mick stood and laid his hand on Josef's shoulder. "I guess the best gifts are the ones we don't expect."

Years of friendship made it unnecessary to speak as silent understanding flowed between them.
Last edited by GuardianAngel on Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jenstc2003
Rogue vampire

Re: An Unexpected Gift (Rated G)

Post by jenstc2003 »

Beautiful GA! Just perfect- and I can SO see it happening.
Jen

Mick's Synful One
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Lovely, GA. I confess it took me a moment to register that Mick was thinking of Sarah (my first thought where Mick and redheads are concerned was Lila) - but it's late, so forgive my stupidity.

I love that Mick and Josef have shared that feeling of acceptance for who and what they are - and that in Mick's case, that is the route for him to accept himself.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

Since I've been on tenterhooks waiting for you to finish this... ;-)

This was so GOOD, GA - I love Mick wanting to share this with his friend and his brother. And Josef shares in that joy.

I think what I love most about your writing is the little details you throw in - Mick's fingers tapping, bouncing his hand on the chair...just tiny little things that people probably do without thinking, but it rounds out your stuff so well - as I WELL know. :snicker:

This line grabbed me:
The smile sobered for a moment as the image of a beautiful, still redhead in a white lace gown merged with that of the naked, smiling blond he'd left just an hour before.
Shared joy and shared sorrow.

Wonderful, my friend...just wonderful. :hug:

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Oh my gosh, GA, now you've got me crying again! :hankie: Is it just me, or are most of these really poignant?

This story just makes me smile and cry. It's so wonderful--such a great parallel of all those other meetings in Josef's office, when Mick was fretting and miserable, or unsure, or freaked out. And finally he's just filled with joy. And as happy as Josef is for him, it can't help but fill him with sadness at what he's lost. What a sad parallel it is.

Beautiful!
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

That was so beautiful!!! Mick understanding he's lovable as the thing he hated most. Like Red it took me a minute to register Sarah. Just wonderful.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

*snort* Yeah... this was totally awful! :roll: Like anything you ever write is awful....

This was so lovely, so sparse, so right to the bone... These guys don't play games with one another--unless Josef is just in the mood to play with Mick.... and they speak to each other in their own little shorthand...

Sigh... this whole challenge thing is one big conspiracy to make me miss ML more!!!! Wouldn't this be a fun scene to see the guys act out????? I mean, I can soooo see them, see the looks on their faces, hear them speaking the words, see Josef moving towards Mick... :cloud9:

Tho DO let me know when you DO write something totally awful... a little shock does a system good... :giggle:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
janicevictoria
Fledgling

Post by janicevictoria »

Aah, just lovely, GA. It's so nice to see Mick so joyful and at peace with the vampire inside. I can so see this conversation taking place between him and Josef. :hug:

Thanks to Pinkiepie for my lovely banner
wollstonecraft61
Rogue vampire

Post by wollstonecraft61 »

Simply wonderful, GA. My favorite part was how you have Mick's mannerisms down pat:
Mick gave a snort and swiped at his nose with his thumb.
The PI was sprawled in the leather chair, arms splayed, fingers tapping.
Banner by the beautiful Alyssa Banner by the EXTREMELY talented eris
RangerCM
Rogue vampire

Post by RangerCM »

I do believe I'm getting to where my all time favorite ML moments, are the Mick/Josef buddy moments. This was wonderful.
banner by Cprav
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

jenstc: Thank you. I can't tell you how it excites me when a reader tells me they can picture what I've written.

Red: Sorry. I think it was in how I worded that part. It's not very clear. Sometimes I assume that people are following what I'm imagining and it's not necessarily so. Mick and Josef have more in common than even they realize.

Pgal: Come on, I didn't make you wait that long. LOL I believe Mick would most certainly want to share his happiness with Josef as soon as he could. *blush* Thanks for the comment about the little details. Many times it's what makes characters easier to imagine. And thanks for saying it was 'GOOD'. LOL *hugs*

Alle: You're right, most answers to this challenge are poignant. Only fair that I'd make you cry since you made me cry. LOL With all that Josef has seen and experienced there is bound to be a measure of sadness and loss - but he would definitely be pleased that Mick has finally found some happiness.

cassy: It's my belief that Beth fell for Mick partly because he IS a vampire. Irony at it's finest.

grace: "Like anything you ever write is awful...." You shouldn't say such things. LOL Even though it's very kind. I can see this scene happening too, especially after the scene in Josef's office when Mick finally admits to loving Beth. This seems an obvious continuation.

janice: Thank you. I love to imagine Mick this happy. I guess because he can't imagine it.

woll: I LOVE Mick's mannerisms. I think most of us do. When I envision scenes before I write Mick is always doing those little things.

Ranger: I'm with you. Mick and Josef's relationship was such an integral part of the show. There is so muched shared between them. They can be funny as hell or really touching.
eris
Sire

Post by eris »

Awee, short and sweet. :yahoo:
AggieVamp
Rogue vampire

Post by AggieVamp »

I'm with everyone else. This was beautiful. And as a reader I'll happily read more of these challenge pieces...because we have the BEST authors on MLA!!

:grouphug:
Karen
Banner by HotMicks

Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional - and I Opt NOT to Grow Up!
:petcat: :petcat:
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

GA, great piece to go with PNW's. I am a huge lover of the relationship between Mick and Josef....great friends that they are.

Lucky
MoonlitRose
Fledgling

Post by MoonlitRose »

I too could picture Mick and his mannerisms! Great Job. :thumbs:

Mick and Josef's friendship certainly was part of what made this show so endearing. They kidded, joked, and annoyed each other, but they always had each other's back, and were like brothers.

Mick would absolutely confide in Josef about Beth! :ghug: Very nice. :notworthy:
-MoonlitRose
To view additional Graphic Art by MoonlitRose.

Return to “GuardianAngel's Office”