Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 7: The Ringer

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Re: The Ringer (Episode Seven)

Post by librarian_7 »

I have never understood Mick's "Oh she did, did she?" in this scene. I half expected Beth to respond..."yeah, you're welcome for the referral, jerk."

Lucky
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

Yes, it is intense between Mick and Morgan. :yes: What always gets to me is how completely cool / innocent Morgan appears...

And Mick's attitude towards Beth is a mystery. :confusing:
Beautiful tag courtesy of SirenSong.
Image My fanfic index. My banner art.

Each player must accept the cards life deals him. But once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game. Voltaire.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

The only thing I can think is that he's surprised Beth would try to get Morgan closer to him...which may be evidence of how flustered he is by the whole situation. Perhaps he's not thinking that Beth has no reason not to think of Morgan as anything except what she's represented herself as. If that makes sense.

Lucky
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

librarian_7 wrote:The only thing I can think is that he's surprised Beth would try to get Morgan closer to him...which may be evidence of how flustered he is by the whole situation. Perhaps he's not thinking that Beth has no reason not to think of Morgan as anything except what she's represented herself as. If that makes sense.

Lucky
Thats exactly where I was going to go with this Lucky. I also think that Mick was ruffled by Morgan's appearance and was put out that this unsettled him. I think the grouchiness was leakage from that.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

librarian_7 wrote:I have never understood Mick's "Oh she did, did she?" in this scene. I half expected Beth to respond..."yeah, you're welcome for the referral, jerk."

Lucky

OK... my interpretation of that line is different from y'all's... I thought when he said it... he was doubting MORGAN's veracity. He's still thinking she's Cora, come back to play mind-games with him... so when she seems to explain their interruption of his evening as BETH's suggestion... he doesn't believe her. And he's right... remember MORGAN suggested to BETH that Mick look into the break in....

Now in the course of their girl talk, Beth probably DID say Mick is the best (because of course he is... tho she was probably talking about his PI cred... but I digress again...) so that then lends some veracity to Morgan's "innocence" in hiring MIck, particularly since Beth then backs up Morgan's claim... but Mick senses that BETH did not instigate this hook up. He (correctly I might add) suspects that MORGAN, ie Coraline, manipulated this entire interview.

Mick is always right... peeps don't give his paranoia enough credit... but he is always right...
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

grace, I can go with your take on that line. That makes sense. He was questioning Morgan with it. But I think Beth took it like I did, as pointed at her.

I LOVE how we can get a different viewpoint from discussing!
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

True... you guys bring understanding to me that I never would've had on my own...

In this line, since he stares at Morgan the whole time, that's in part why I think he isn't talking to Beth... but is instead looking over Morgan carefully, sniffing, but also trying to discern if she is telling the truth and getting the feeling she isn't. He doesn't trust her...after all, the first thing you ask someone when you "meet" them is their name... and she got that one wrong.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Liana
Freelance freshie

Post by Liana »

Grace, I totally agree with your interpretation of Mick's "Oh, she did, huh?" He still thinks Morgan is Coraline and at some point will try to get closer to him, which she did eventually, by coming with Beth to hire him... Actually, she played them both here, as if it was Beth's initiative to ask the best PI to help her photographer friend...

I too think, that the real Morgan Vincent is dead, thanks to Coraline... She knew Mick would investigate her, she needed solid background, not made up ID.

And as Mick said, she showed up at that time, because she couldn't see Mick happy... (with someone other than her, that is). My guess is, she was working on the cure with Cynthia for a while, but made a move because Mick and Beth were getting closer. She still wasn't sure they were THAT close (she asked both, what's the deal between them, remember), but the closer they got the harder it would have been for her to break them apart.
My guess is initially she wanted to show up at Mick's door with the permanent cure and win him back... (She kidnapped a child to give him a piece of humanity back, in her own twisted way. Now she would make him human and he would forgive and love her again. Remember the line from MC "Maybe love can't exist without mortality?" It's ironic, at that moment she was thinking about them being together again. And Mick obviously was thinking about Beth and him...)

Why set up the scene and the fire?! Really, what's elaborate?! :snicker: Well, she wanted to distract Mick from Beth, she knew him well and played mind-games with him before (Mick's words). While he's figuring out this whole thing, he's getting closer to her, until eventually he comes in the shower for the last piece of the puzzle... and she almost got him where she wanted him! But after he was confirmed it's Coraline, it was about the cure, how she became human, not the naked woman before him. :snicker: But that's another epi...
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Great analysis, Liana :).

I agree on pretty much all of it (I'll wait till we get to FdL to drone on about the shower scene :giggle: ) especially Coraline's motivations. She wanted him back - he knew it, Josef knew it, Beth got it eventually.

And I think the precipitating factor had to have been his growing closeness to Beth - even if, as you say, she wasn't quite sure how far things had progressed between them, she knew enough ("She's been watching us, stalking us...").

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

About the, "Oh, she did, huh?" line. I think the thing that confuses me is the look he throws Beth. I can see it playing as him doubting Morgan except for that look. It was enough to make Beth feel defensive.

I hate to jump ahead and talk about a future episode. But I have my doubts that things would have stopped in that shower scene in FdL if Beth had not come a-knockin. I'm glad that it was enough to pull him away. But if she didn't interrupt?
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

GuardianAngel wrote:About the, "Oh, she did, huh?" line. I think the thing that confuses me is the look he throws Beth. I can see it playing as him doubting Morgan except for that look. It was enough to make Beth feel defensive.

I hate to jump ahead and talk about a future episode. But I have my doubts that things would have stopped in that shower scene in FdL if Beth had not come a-knockin. I'm glad that it was enough to pull him away. But if she didn't interrupt?

Oh honey! When we get to FdL... we'll talk!

mwj01
Courtesan

Post by mwj01 »

wpgrace wrote:
GuardianAngel wrote: I hate to jump ahead and talk about a future episode. But I have my doubts that things would have stopped in that shower scene in FdL if Beth had not come a-knockin. I'm glad that it was enough to pull him away. But if she didn't interrupt?

Oh honey! When we get to FdL... we'll talk!
Uh, yeah! :snicker:

"Damn this man and his eternal hotness!" -SirenSong
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

GuardianAngel wrote:About the, "Oh, she did, huh?" line. I think the thing that confuses me is the look he throws Beth. I can see it playing as him doubting Morgan except for that look. It was enough to make Beth feel defensive.

ITA GA, ITA.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
mitzie
Courtesan

Post by mitzie »

wpgrace wrote:
librarian_7 wrote:I have never understood Mick's "Oh she did, did she?" in this scene. I half expected Beth to respond..."yeah, you're welcome for the referral, jerk."

Lucky

OK... my interpretation of that line is different from y'all's... I thought when he said it... he was doubting MORGAN's veracity. He's still thinking she's Cora, come back to play mind-games with him... so when she seems to explain their interruption of his evening as BETH's suggestion... he doesn't believe her. And he's right... remember MORGAN suggested to BETH that Mick look into the break in....

Now in the course of their girl talk, Beth probably DID say Mick is the best (because of course he is... tho she was probably talking about his PI cred... but I digress again...) so that then lends some veracity to Morgan's "innocence" in hiring MIck, particularly since Beth then backs up Morgan's claim... but Mick senses that BETH did not instigate this hook up. He (correctly I might add) suspects that MORGAN, ie Coraline, manipulated this entire interview.

Mick is always right... peeps don't give his paranoia enough credit... but he is always right...

I totally agree with what Grace said!!!! :gasp: :thud: Hi Grace!! :wave: :hug:
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

:wave: Hi Mitzie!

Great ep, isn't it???

I LOVE rattled Mick!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hyper:

Return to “Episode Discussion”