Picking Up the Pieces (Challenge Fic) --PG13

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Picking Up the Pieces (Challenge Fic) --PG13

Post by librarian_7 »

A/N: This short piece was done for a challenge on another board.

Title: "Picking Up the Pieces" by Bank1115
Starting Paragraph: by francis

Los Angeles, 1988

She ran out of reasons to stay inside. It was way too early but she couldn’t contain her excitement anymore. Putting a stray strand of hair back into the clasp she pushed the sliding doors to the garden open and carefully stepped barefoot over the rough tiles of the patio.

Not carefully enough, though. A loose stone shifted underfoot, and she paid for it with a gash to her sole. She cursed softly, explosively puffing out her breath, and moved to sit on the low retaining wall. He hadn’t arrived yet, and she frowned in disappointment. Another damned unreliable vamp. The hair clasp was bothering her as well, and she took it out, shaking her hair with impatient fingers, pulling through it to feel it falling free around her shoulders.

A quick search of her pockets yielded cigarettes and lighter, and she lit one, inhaling deeply. The flare of the lighter briefly illuminated the skin of her wrist, the scars there. She supposed it was one benefit of being dumped; she was free to abuse her body the way she preferred. The cut had gone deep, though. Being told your blood was no longer required was rejection on a cellular level.

Hidden in the shadows, Mick watched the woman curiously, her head wreathed in blue smoke, the scent of blood from her cut foot rising tantalizingly through the evening air, touching a chord in the primitive part of his brain, the smoke reminding him of the early days of his turning, smoky jazz clubs and hot blood pulsing into his mouth. He forced the thoughts from his mind. He was off that, these days.

“Those things are bad for you,” he said, just loud enough to be heard.

Her head snapped up to look for him, but she took another long drag before answering. “I don’t suppose it’s really any of your business.” She held her hand up and tapped a thumb sharply against the filter, sending the ashes scattering. “Mick St. John?”

“I understand we have a mutual friend.”

“I hope we have a mutual enemy.”

“I’d say that remains to be seen.” Mick liked the looks of this one, long, lean, blonde hair silky as a child’s. As that child he’d been watching, these last three years. He pushed that thought away, too. Tonight was business, and he needed to keep his head in the game. He walked across the terrace to stand beside her. “So. Our mutual friend said you might need my help. Want to give me details?”

She stood slowly, turning to face him, and blew out a cloud of smoke into the night. “Sure. It’s straightforward. I had a—friend, you understand. He threw me out, two nights ago.” Her expression hardened, the lush lips thinning. If not for the kindness of another woman, one who had been smart enough to hold onto the lease of her apartment, she’d have been on the street. “I don’t mind that so much,” she said, “but the check—the severance bonus—bounced. And I’m broke without it.”

Mick nodded. “I’ll take care of it. Give me the information you have.” He held out a hand, and felt the warmth of her skin as she placed a folded paper in his palm. He’d avoided contact with humans, lately, and it was unsettling, to be so close.

She came closer, and he became intensely aware of her body, moving with a practiced seductiveness. He’d missed this, since he’d sworn to stick to bottled blood. Missed the feel of life under his hands, of a woman in his arms. And her bleeding foot still perfumed the air.

“So don’t you want payment up front?” she asked, voice husky, intimate.

“I thought you didn’t have any money.”

“Maybe it’s not money I’m offering.” She licked her lips, slowly, and gazed at him in the darkness with glistening eyes. The invitation was unmistakable.

Mick drew her closer. Why not? he thought. There was nothing to hold him back from it. She was offering, and he did deserve payment for his services. No one else was going to help her. He plucked the cigarette from her hand, crushed it under his boot against the flagstones. Then he pulled her close, brushing the hair back from her neck. He put his mouth against her skin, his fangs pushing out, hungering for the feel of flesh.

She was waiting, feeling the pounding of her own blood rushing through her veins. The money was important, sure, and giving up a little blood to get it was fine. Especially when the blood donation would give her that one last chance to feel desirable, to feel special. She waited, knowing what was coming, ready to give this vampire what he wanted, so she’d get what she needed.

Drawing in a breath, savoring the scent of human skin, the coppery tang of the blood beating so close beneath, the temptation was almost unbearable. He could bite, he could feed, and where would be the harm. She was willing, after all.

Almost three years, almost a thousand nights, since he’d sworn not to prey on humans any more. He could throw it all away, go back to what he’d been. He could feel his resolve shattering. Then he opened his eyes, and a wisp of blonde hair brushed softly across his face.

He released her abruptly, turning away. He never saw the rage in her eyes. Dragging a hand across his mouth, he mumbled, “I’ll get your money first. We can talk about payment…later.”

When he’d gone, she lit another cigarette and stared out into the blackness. It was going to be a cold night, tonight.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Re: Picking Up the Pieces (Challenge Fic) --PG13

Post by allegrita »

Ooooh... I'm not sure I've ever read this! The dark side of the freshie-vamp relationship... anger, despair, and an unhealthy dose of desperation.

And Mick--not yet used to his monklike existence; missing the closeness, still soooo tempted... but resisting the urge to backslide. Remembering those little arms around his neck, that blonde hair against his cheek.

This is a wonderful, dark, angry, sad, and yet somehow hopeful story.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Alle, thanks so much! I love seeing older pieces bumped...and this was a fun one. One of my first ventures into "noir" Mick. His life from this period always interests me.

Lucky
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

It is logical that Mick would have experienced situations like this, after he had sworn off 'feeding fresh' The world he inhabited as a private investigator was not a glamorous one, and in it he made the choices that resulted in the man he became--not a willing participant in Josef's chosen lifestyle, and not altogether the hero he longs to be but suspended somewhere in between, still feeling the pull of both.

Very, very well done!

Thank you for sharing this piece.

:flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Thanks so much, jen! I was just thinking the other day that no one had looked at this one in, well, quite some time.

I do like writing "noir" Mick....he has so many stories to explore.

Lucky
tucutecats
Fledgling

Post by tucutecats »

+
what joy to wake up on Sunday morning and have a bunch of your stories to read.You are the absolute best :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

I just enjoyed this wonderful piece again and I certainly hope others will reread it, too, or discover it for the first time.

This is nearly hypnotic, as Mick is drawn into a real need for closeness he had turned his back on when he rescued Beth, but he is not the only one being denied here.

Very nice!

Thanks!

Jenna
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
Kara
Fledgling

Post by Kara »

His resolve just amped my respect for him. By all accounts, it wasn't that long ago he quit the freshie business and yet, he's able to resist the fresh blood he had under his fangs, literally. Good for him.

Beautiful. Thank you. :rose:
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Oh, my, how lovely to see some taking a nice browse through my office! Thank you!

Lucky
maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

librarian_7 wrote:Almost three years, almost a thousand nights, since he’d sworn not to prey on humans any more. He could throw it all away, go back to what he’d been. He could feel his resolve shattering. Then he opened his eyes, and a wisp of blonde hair brushed softly across his face.

He released her abruptly, turning away. He never saw the rage in her eyes.
Beautiful noir story, dark Mick is always fascinating. Thanks, Lucky!! :flowers:
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .
Marigold
Courtesan

Post by Marigold »

This story reminds me of an addict struggling to stay clean:

- Unexpectedly encountering a temptation
- Trying to rationalize the relapse
- Thoughts of what the forbidden substance turns the person into
- A reminder of why to stay clean

Very nicely done! :rose:

Marigold
Fantastic banner by Kath40! Thank you!
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Thanks, maggatha!

And that's precisely right, Marigold. I had the whole "addict" thing in mind from the beginning, having read how Trevor originally envisioned Mick. (This piece was written LONG before Angel of Vengeance came out...)

Lucky
maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

librarian_7 wrote:Thanks, maggatha!

And that's precisely right, Marigold. I had the whole "addict" thing in mind from the beginning, having read how Trevor originally envisioned Mick. (This piece was written LONG before Angel of Vengeance came out...)

Lucky
Lucky, do you mean that Angel of Vengeance came out after the airing of Moonlight?
I had absolutely no idea!
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .
Marigold
Courtesan

Post by Marigold »

Moonlight first aired Sept. 2007 - May 2008.

Angel of Vengeance was released Feb. 1, 2011. If you haven't read it yet, I highly recommend it.

Marigold
Fantastic banner by Kath40! Thank you!
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

AoV was written before Moonlight, but due to all sorts of complicated contractual stuff, didn't appear in print until much later.

Crazy, isn't it?

Return to “Mick and Beth”