The Moon and the Stars (One-shot) New 1/31/09 PG

A place for Darkstarrising's G to PG-13 stories
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: The Moon and the Stars (One-shot) New 1/31/09 PG

Post by darkstarrising »

jen wrote:Karen

This was lovely (of course). Really didn't have any doubt about that ahead of time.

It was so hopeful and life affirming at this time of grief and sadness. Mick is coming out of the shadows into the sunshine, and not just because of the temporary cure.

In FTP, which comes right after the events here, he will take another step out of his self imposed shadows. He will willingly give up his humanity in order to save 'his Beth' and something will change forever in his hatred of the inner vampire.

Or that's the way I choose to see it.

Beautiful, beautiful fic.

Thank you.

:hearts: :flowers:
Jen,

thanks and you're welcome. :rose: I love this piece, because it's almost all Mick's thoughts. One long voice over, if you will. Here, we see him work through his inner conflicts and troubles; everything from the physical pain (recovering from a beating) to the emotional pain (he doesn't want to intrude on Beth's grieving, feeling some guilt for coming between them). One of Mick's last lines is:
Maybe there’s more to life than just anticipating death. Maybe it’s time for me to find out.

As we 'listen' to his thoughts the day of Josh's funeral, we see a man who is starting to do just that.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Wow. This is a perfect companion piece, standing across from Beth's story just as Mick stood across from Beth at the funeral. Such different days, such different thoughts, leading Mick to the same place as Beth.

I love your Mick voice here. The rhythm of your prose, the sentence structure, the word choices - all completely different from "The Sun and the Moon." Mick just pours out of the setory. His wry, self-deferential humor is perfect, as is his focus on the physical hurts he's dealing with... because he can't quite face the emotional ones. But he skates around 'em a lot... and, like Beth, he makes a decision on this day. To grab this time he's been given and to make the very most of it. Every day he wakes up, he's gonna go to that mirror and whisper, "Still human." And he's going to work hard at overcoming his natural reticence and his fear of being hurt... and eventually, he'll end up at the beach picnic with Beth.

You have so many wonderful touches here: Mick dreading the painful trip up the stairs; looking at his bruises; going over his conversation with Beth the day before (loved his amused annoyance at Coraline's perfect timing); his acknowledgment that, although Beth hurt him deeply right after Josh's death, she was hurt in turn when Coraline interrupted their conversation; his understanding that two people had been sacrificed in order that he and Beth could have a chance to be together.

I absolutely love Mick's acknowledgment of what he did to Tejada, too--that creepy-wonderful scene where he showed his bloody face to Tejada before killing him. Your take on it is brilliant, and I can see Mick offering it up, in a way, to Josh's spirit. Not just vengeance, but also a reassurance to Josh that Mick had rid the world of the evil that Josh had died trying to stop.

As a final note, this story creeped me out just a little, because Mick's musings on Josh's death sound a lot like part of a story of mine (Drifting), which I wrote a lot later. So... I just want you to know that I've never read this before today, and my imagining of Mick's thoughts was not based on yours.
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

allegrita wrote:Wow. This is a perfect companion piece, standing across from Beth's story just as Mick stood across from Beth at the funeral. Such different days, such different thoughts, leading Mick to the same place as Beth.

I love your Mick voice here. The rhythm of your prose, the sentence structure, the word choices - all completely different from "The Sun and the Moon." Mick just pours out of the setory. His wry, self-deferential humor is perfect, as is his focus on the physical hurts he's dealing with... because he can't quite face the emotional ones. But he skates around 'em a lot... and, like Beth, he makes a decision on this day. To grab this time he's been given and to make the very most of it. Every day he wakes up, he's gonna go to that mirror and whisper, "Still human." And he's going to work hard at overcoming his natural reticence and his fear of being hurt... and eventually, he'll end up at the beach picnic with Beth.

You have so many wonderful touches here: Mick dreading the painful trip up the stairs; looking at his bruises; going over his conversation with Beth the day before (loved his amused annoyance at Coraline's perfect timing); his acknowledgment that, although Beth hurt him deeply right after Josh's death, she was hurt in turn when Coraline interrupted their conversation; his understanding that two people had been sacrificed in order that he and Beth could have a chance to be together.

I absolutely love Mick's acknowledgment of what he did to Tejada, too--that creepy-wonderful scene where he showed his bloody face to Tejada before killing him. Your take on it is brilliant, and I can see Mick offering it up, in a way, to Josh's spirit. Not just vengeance, but also a reassurance to Josh that Mick had rid the world of the evil that Josh had died trying to stop.

As a final note, this story creeped me out just a little, because Mick's musings on Josh's death sound a lot like part of a story of mine (Drifting), which I wrote a lot later. So... I just want you to know that I've never read this before today, and my imagining of Mick's thoughts was not based on yours.
alle, thanks so much for giving this a read....and not to worry, with the limited material we have to work with, there's bound to be overlap :hug: P'Gal and I trip over each other regularly :snicker:

I love writing from Mick's POV - with all the voice overs in the series, it was if you were hearing his thoughts....I find it easier to write from his POV than I do dialogue for Mick. Because he's plain spoken, it's easy to fall into the trap of making him sound less intelligent than he is. To compensate, it's also easy to have him use phrases and words that aren't in keeping with his character as subtly pointed out by Josef when Mick pokes at him in Sonata

'How very egalitarian of you.'

'That's a big word.'

Yes, Mick focuses on the physical pain, because he's a guy and that's something he can understand and wrap his brain around. Aches, pains, cuts, bruises, they give him something to think about until he's ready to face what he has to - dealing with the aftermath of Josh's death. He's avoiding the emotional pain initially, but eventually, he gets around to it - Beth's, his own, even acknowledging the pain he caused Josh.

I loved the scene near the end of LLF where Mick dispatches Tejada and enjoys every minute of it....for once the vamp is turned loose to rid the world of the real monster. I love how you see that as his way of not only offering amends to Josh, but trying to finish the work Josh started.
darkstarrising
View My Fanfic Index

Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

so much like it should have been in the show.......thanks for the "fill-in"
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Lucy wrote:so much like it should have been in the show.......thanks for the "fill-in"

Lucy, thanks!! Glad you enjoyed it!
darkstarrising
View My Fanfic Index

Albra
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by Albra »

As other said – this is perfect companion to “The Sun and the Moon”
Thank you, DSR
:rose:
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Albra wrote:As other said – this is perfect companion to “The Sun and the Moon”
Thank you, DSR
:rose:
Thanks, Albra :hug: I'm glad you enjoyed it!!
darkstarrising
View My Fanfic Index

jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Karen

Just came by for a reread and the first thing that struck me here was, Wow Another Mick Whisperer!!! Love the exposition into Mick's thoughts.

I see that I am not the only one to be bothered by Mick's casual dismissal of Coraline's sacrifice and initially interpreted as his decision to relegate the entire incident to the realm of another of Coraline's 'games' but I believe I like your explanation better. This moment wasn't about Coraline or him. It was about Beth and his words to her were narrow and focused on what she needed to hear. He gave her permission to be selfish when she needed it.

Quite stunning. Thank you!

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix

Return to “Darkstarrising's Office”