SB 09 - Hunting (Mick's POV) (PG-13)

francis
100% Moonlightaholic

SB 09 - Hunting (Mick's POV) (PG-13)

Post by francis »

When I entered my freezer room hidden behind the panel on the upper floor I immediately shed my clothes and laid down in the comforting coolness of my freezer. Despite the hard surface it was calming and intimate to lay here where noone else ever disturbed me. Except for when Josef barged in because of Lola.

I tried to stay angry at him, but it didn’t work. Actually, I could understand that Josef was uncomfortable. He was totally out of his normal lifestyle, with no explanation yet to the who and why. He had no way to resolve this except for trusting me, which he did, but it didn’t mean he had to like it. And he didn’t have a freezer here. He would be too hot by now, and he was used to the luxury of a whole freezer room at home. But he couldn’t go home, and I had no spare freezer. Besides, he had survived about 250 years without electricity, and 350 years without a freezer, so he should be fine.

I could hear him through the walls, taking a long shower. That might help. I still didn’t understand what made him tick, why he wanted to go to his office, why he neglected the proof that his life still was in danger. He wasn’t open with me, and that bugged me. I wasn’t really angry any more, I was hurt that he didn’t trust me with the truth. And I started to lose trust in him, and that worried me.

But with the soothing rhythm of the water gurgling into the drain, and the cold oozing into my skin and refrigerating my decaying flesh, I actually fell asleep.

I couldn’t have been sleeping for more than an hour. Waking up, I immediately realized that something was wrong. I opened the lid and climbed out, pulled the robe on that Josef left in the bathroom and went downstairs. He wasn’t there, I couldn’t smell him. He must have gone at least an hour ago. Damn. Of course, I knew where he would have gone.

In a hurry to go after him I threw some clothes on and searched for my keys, but they weren’t there. So he had taken the car. I would kill him. It wasn’t that far to his office, and I wouldn’t wait until a cab arrived. I would have to run. Crap.

It took me about 20 minutes to get to Josef’s office building. No trace of my car at the entrance, at least he was careful about making his presence known. I keyed myself in, glad he gave me the security code weeks ago. I went up to the burnt floor, but took the last two stories by stairs as the private escalator doors were contorted and didn’t open.
When I entered the room I had been perusing for clues just hours before, I could instantly smell the human who was silently walking up from the emergency exit. He stopped suddenly, with his weapon cocked. I just now realized that Josef was kneeling in the midst of the rubble, and totally oblivious. I easily approached the attacker from the side and knocked him out.

„You already died once this week, isn’t that enough?“ I asked. Josef actually jumped a bit. Where was his vamp sense? Okay, the smells from the fire were still very bad, but to not be aware of two persons, well, a human and a vampire, in your space, was really not Mr. Paranoid’s style. What was wrong?

Out of the corner of my eyes I could see the killer get up. He tried to hit me, and we had a little fight. I tried very hard to control my movements. I was pumped with adrenaline from the run and my anger towards Josef, but I needed answers out of this guy. Breaking his neck wouldn’t get me anywhere. So, he got a few punches in, occupational hazard. Just made me angrier. I threw him to the ground and asked him, who he was working for. He didn’t answer, of course, just pulled a knife out of his boots and attacked again. Persistent, I had to give him that. He managed to stab my leg. If I wasn’t a vampire, the damage to the femoral artery would have brought me down, but the wound started to close immediately when I pulled the knife out, and the blood just went elsewhere until the damage to the vessel healed. No silver, then. He probably didn’t know about vampires, or he wouldn’t try a gun and a steel knife.

I had enough and decided to take Martan the hard way. I threw him down, then grabbed him and hung him out of the shattered window. I repeated my question, trying to collect myself enough to not vamp out. I didn’t know how much he had already seen when he wounded me. Though I was careful to turn away when I felt the change in my eyes, I couldn’t help but roar in pain. I hoped it was dark enough that maybe he didn’t see much.

He told me he was hired by a John Whitley from New York. What would a New Yorker want from Josef? I gave him a carefully measured knock-out on a steel beam and went over to Josef. Maybe now I would get answers.

Josef stood rooted on the spot, looking at the attacker with a stony expression. He must have heard his answer, and he was clearly shocked. I asked him if he knew that name. He said: „I don’t think so.“ But he didn’t look me in the eyes.
„Don’t lie to me, Josef.“ I begged. Josef looked away.
The killer came to, and I turned to keep an eye on him, as he clearly was a dangerous person. I looked at Josef with a frustrated huff. He still wouldn’t talk. Okay. I asked him to lend me a hand, but when I turned back at him, he was gone.
Darn it! His vampire skills were still firmly in place. Why would he run? What did he intend to do? Why didn’t he let me in?

I knocked the guy out again, took him into a fireman’s grip and carried him one story down to Tom’s office to call the police and borrow some handcuffs. I couldn’t knock the guy out every time he moved, but he was skilled and therefor dangerous.
Suddenly I staggered. I could smell the blood from outside the door. The sight was gruesome. Tom was slumped in his desk chair, Martan had shot him into the head.

Well, I couldn’t tell the police that Josef was still alive so I had to fabricate some story why the killer came back anyway. This suited me just fine, but I was sorry for Tom. Wait. Why DID Martan come back? Seems like Tom was feeding him the information on Josef’s return. So that was how the killer got that far in the first place. Should have known.

I called the police and told Ltn. Kim that I went there for further investigation and found the attacker had shot the security guard. He bought it. I advised them to be careful, but he snipped at that. Well, diplomacy was not my strong point.

Beth came over, I had called her and asked her to find information about John Whitley. She was really good, she already had everything. This Whitley person was 93, old enemy obviously. Josef had been in New York in the fifties, we met after he relocated to L.A. and introduced himself to me on one of Coraline’s parties. Those were the days.

I went to my car that I had found just outside the other entrance around the corner. The keys were in the ignition.
I already decided to follow Josef to New York, which is clearly where he was headed. He wasn’t himself today. I had phoned the airport to ask if Josef had bought a ticket, but they couldn’t find anything. So he probably did use another name.

Beth wanted to come with me. Her persistence was endearing. We decided to split, each one packing some things, and meet in an hour at her appartment to drive to the airport.

When I found Josef he would have definitely some explaining to do. Maybe I should take some handcuffs with me, just in case.
mitzie
Courtesan

Re: SB 09 - Hunting (Mick's POV) (PG-13)

Post by mitzie »

Terrific chapter!

Off to read more!

mitzie
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

I loved the fight scene in this episode. Mick handled that dude so well, and with such cockiness.
moonshine
Freelance freshie

Post by moonshine »

he he I liked it very much! Espeacially the last line :snicker:
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Thank you moonshine. Mick would probably shackle Josef to himself to keep him from running off again...

Thank you Fleur, yes, Mick was a fight machine here, efficient and calculated.

Mitzie, thank you. I'm glad you enjoy this.
bluedahlia3
Rogue vampire
Location: Strolling down a foggy street, collar popped up, emoting cigarette smoke

Post by bluedahlia3 »

More powerful lines, I especially liked "Where was his vamp sense? Okay, the smells from the fire were still very bad, but to not be aware of two persons, well, a human and a vampire, in your space, was really not Mr. Paranoid’s style. What was wrong?" Nice. A good reflection of Mick's processing the whole incident. :rose:
"I'm only wearing black until they come up with something darker." LaCroix
Forever grateful to Trevor Munson for his gift.
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Thank you for reading, Bluedahlia. I'm an introspective person and just have fun to imagine what the characters would have thought if they had the time.
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Wonderful, Francis.

You have added depth to what we saw. Very nicely done

Off to read more!

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

Great to read Mick's point of view of this scene, so many things happening in just a few minutes! :hearts:
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .

Return to “Sleeping Beauty Revisited”