OC Character Profile Hope Scanlon

A place for cassysj's G to PG-13 stories
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

OC Character Profile Hope Scanlon

Post by cassysj »

Someone asked me what was Hope's story and I realize she is too big a character for me to describe in a couple of sentences so I'm putting her whole background here for anyone who is interested. Hope appears in the Freshie Doll series and my Plum and Tangie Blossom New Life Series,

Hope Scanlon was a widowed nurse in the 1930's with a young daughter named Faith. She first came into contact with vampires when Charles Riley's daughter Charlotte was dying in the hospital. Charles would sneak in at night to see her never wanting to come into contact with Charlotte's husband who might recognize him. Hope was kind to him and looked the other way. In return Charles made sure some money was tossed her way by making her known to vampires. Hope would tend to minor and serious freshie injuries and not ask any questions. Josef Kostan was going to the hospital one evening to hire her when he came upon an assault. Hope was attacked and dying. Josef killed those responsible and turned her. He did not want the responsibility of being a sire and the Cleaners were always looking for modern medical personnel to learn how to cover up accidents. Lydia was head of the New York Cleaners and she took on Hope as her charge.

Hope became an excellent Cleaner and enjoyed the job until 1949. Charles Riley's human fiancee was accidentally killed by another vampire. Because he called the Cleaners and Charles had never marked her as an exclusive he was entitled to complete anonymity. The Cleaners hid her body for days until the scent of the other vampire had disappeared. Charles was devastated and felt betrayed. Even his impressive lineage couldn't get him the answer he wanted so he and Hope cut all ties with each other short of declaring war.

In 1955 they came into contact with each other because Josef married Sarah Whitley and had Charles and Hope as witnesses. This was not a reconciliation attempt on Josef's part they were just the two vampires he trusted most at the time. He called them both the next day, when the turning went so badly. Hope wished to terminate Sarah immediately while Charles came on Josef's side saying that Hope just enjoyed killing "Love". Josef fell into a suicidal depression that Hope and Charles both blamed themselves for. Hope slowly brought Josef back from the brink, resigned as a Cleaner and left town with Josef. Charles took care of Sarah Whitley personally in the early years.

Hope and Josef lived a nomad type of existence for several years. Their money ran out and both of them worked odd jobs. Josef was a card dealer in Vegas, a bartender, in the early years he worked construction so the sun would weaken his body so he could fall asleep at night.

In the early 1960's Josef was tired of working for other people and built the first variation of what we know as Kostan Industries. Hope was at his side as a secretary but she was much more than that.

By the 1970's Hope wanted to go back to New York. She turned a young woman named Laura as a present for Josef. She trained her as a Cleaner and she was in service for a year or two with them before she resigned to work for Josef. Hope went back to New York as Executive V.P., Laura was Josef's secretary and Charles Riley moved to Los Angeles because he did not want to live in the same city as Hope.

Hope and Charles reconciled after sixty years when Hope's freshie was instrumental in saving Plum's life. Hope also assured Charles that the vampire that killed his fiancee was now dead. She never revealed his name to Charles or anyone but it is believed she made sure certain information was leaked to Charles's sire who sits on the Vampire Council. It is rumored that Jonathan handled the execution personally.

Hope's own daughter Faith died a couple of years ago and Josef insisted she be at the hospital to say goodbye. It was a while after that Josef spoke to her about her "turning" and they re-enacted her turning and she accepted each other as sire and "heir"

That ends Hope with the doll series. The following will discuss her in the future series Tangie's New Life.

Hope will agree to become Tangie's sire and while Vampire Solita will be the one to "kill" Tangie, Hope will turn her. Tangie's turning is difficult and there is a lot of fear that it is going to be a "Sarah Whitley". She is extremely slow to wake up which almost never happens in "Cleaner" turnings. Hope woke up in a few minutes, Laura less than an hour. When Tangie did wake up she was not a candidate for Cleaner training so Hope had to learn how to sire in an entirely different manner. Hope and Tangie develop a very close Mother/Daughter relationship
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Re: OC Character Profile Hope Scanlon

Post by allegrita »

This is awesome, Carol. I'm glad you've given Hope's bio here. I've read most of the stories, but her tale is so complicated and is covered by so many stories, this is a great way for new readers to catch up. :twothumbs:
Marigold
Courtesan

Re: OC Character Profile Hope Scanlon

Post by Marigold »

Thanks so much, Carol! :rose: I've picked up bits-and-pieces in your Doll stories, so it is wonderful to be able to hear Hope's whole story. :hearts:
Fantastic banner by Kath40! Thank you!

Return to “cassysj's Office”