Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 8: 12:04AM

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: 12:04 (Episode Eight)

Post by wpgrace »

GuardianAngel wrote:LOL. I'm sure Mick has figured out ways to get into Beth's apartment. What if she slipped on the soap? You never know. ;)

Well... a little later in the show he's gonna break into a maximum-security prison morgue... so I'm guessing Beth's condo is small change...
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

wpgrace wrote:
GuardianAngel wrote:LOL. I'm sure Mick has figured out ways to get into Beth's apartment. What if she slipped on the soap? You never know. ;)

Well... a little later in the show he's gonna break into a maximum-security prison morgue... so I'm guessing Beth's condo is small change...
Indeed. Let's face it, breaking through security measures (especially at the FoS) never presented many problems for anyone in ML.

And let me add my squee for badass Mick. Oh my. :melts:

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

redwinter101 wrote:
wpgrace wrote:

Indeed. Let's face it, breaking through security measures (especially at the FoS) never presented many problems for anyone in ML.

And let me add my squee for badass Mick. Oh my. :melts:

Red

:snicker: :snicker:
...and STILL :melts: at bad-ass Mick...

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Using the info Mick received from the Shepherd wannabe idiot, he goes to visit Donovan's producer friend, Jerry Drake. We watch as the green Mercedes pulls into the driveway of a large house overlooking the Hollywood, cool song playing in the background and Mick's VO telling us that he thought about being an actor back in the 70s. But really he had just wanted to be Steve McQueen.

He walks up to the door and it's opened by a pretty woman (Drake's assistant) who asks if he has an appointment. Mick tells her he's coming from 1050 Ventana to see him. THIS takes the smirk off her face. Mick enters, the girl shows some Mickappreciation and he comments on the view. She offers to get him a drink, Mick refuses, and she takes him to Drake's office.

The P.I. wanders around the office looking at the photos on the walls and the memorabilia. Drake makes his entrance.

He tells Mick it was horrible what happened on Ventana Drive. How is took a normal word (ventana = window) and gave it an evil connotation. Mick compares it to Columbine. Drake is an arrogant jerk, telling Mick time is money and the time he's already taken would be worth $10,000. Mick's not the least bit intimidated. He's there to talk about the Shepherd biopic. Mick tells him that he'd heard they were friends. Drake tells him they were. Donny was fun back in the 80s but then Jerry got a movie deal and Donovan got crazy. Mick wants to know if they were still friends. Jerry says enough that he was able to speak with Donovan in jail after he'd heard that the murderer was penning his memoirs. While talking, Mick is looking around and playing with a sword from a movie.

Mick says that he'd heard that killers couldn't profit from selling their stories. They can't. The $800,000 for the story was going into a 'survivors fund' and buying the story was just good business. Mick asks him if inciting people to murder is part of that good business. He then takes out a printout fromt he website and throws it on the desk.

Mick traced the IP address back to Drake and accuses him of getting the 'family' riled up enough to attack Audrey Pell. Jerry looks uncomfortable and asks if she's okay. Mick asks what does he care - her death would make a better ending to the biopic. Jerry collects himself, says he did nothing illegal and gives Mick the eye before offering him a part in the film. The vampire isn't biting and threatens Drake - offering a beheading if anything should happen to Audrey.

The assistant walks Mick out. He asks if that drink is still on offer. Flirty, she tells him it's always on until it's off and goes off to get it. (I thought she sounded like an idiot. But can you really blame the girl?)

Mick uses the time alone to go through Drake's mail sitting on a table. At the bottom is a large envelope from Donovan Shepherd!

Mick takes it and leaves.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Excellent as always, GA... perfect blend of exposition and snark... :biggrin:

And I have always felt so, so sorry for that girl... here she thinks she's making some time with this gorgeous guy who had just dropped into her clutches... he asks for a drink, hands on hips and everything... and then... disappears. I felt her little "d@mn" right down to my toes... :giggle:

And I totally appreciate the lovely shot of his hands there... :happysigh:

redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

:giggle: I SO agree, Grace. The poor girl thought she'd hit the jackpot... disappointment must have been crushing.

Even though this was daytime, flirty Mick (the light-hearted brother of my preferred nighttime, broody Mick), I liked the scene with Drake. Mick was totally unimpressed - and you could tell that irked Drake. I mean really irked him. The whole scene had that "Don't you know who I am?" vibe.

Oh and Mick with the big knife. Nuff said.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

redwinter101 wrote:
Oh and Mick with the big knife. Nuff said.

Red
Yeah... :melts:

francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

I totally liked the foreshadowing of Míck beheading Shepard when he played with that knife with Drake and later on with Shepard (when the knife dissolved - funny scene despite being very tense). Third time's the charm, I guess.
helloeeze
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by helloeeze »

Never thought about that knife much, you are right, later he got to use the real one. But that whole "fake knife" thing was a clever writing and allowed Mick once again to get his a@@ whipped by a new vamp, who is presumably less powerful. The knife broke off in Mick's hand, thus giving Shepherd an advantage in the fight.

I thought that assistant was great in that scene. Especially the look she gives Mick as he enters the house and she trails behind him. Then that little "dam" when she discovered he left.
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

I think everyone of us joined her in her "damn" moment. :giggle:

:melts: :melts: :melts: :melts:
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Beth and Audrey go to see the D.A. They want to speak with him as well as look through some mug shots to see if they find the guy who broke into Beth's apartment.

The D.A.'s assistant greets them (with an armful of things they need for the visit) and goes to check and see if D.A. Quinlan is ready for them. She opens the door and a horrific sight greets her.

Audrey is positive it was Donovan - that he's back. Beth tries to reason with her. They watched Donovan die. But this is exactly what he would have done. He likes to set a scene.

Meanwhile, Mick is in his office listening to the tapes Shepherd made and mailed to Drake. He goes on about finishing the work he started.

Back at the courthouse, the room is ransacked and bloody but there's no body. The police arrive and look over the scene. Nobody saw or heard anything and it looks like the murder weapon (which is back in its display case) is the knife used at the Vantana murders. Quinlan kept it as a souvenir (Is that creepy or what?). According to Lt. Davis, they think it was the work of Shepherd's 'family' who are more loyal than they thought.

Mick calls Beth telling her they have a problem. She tells him she knows - the D.A. is missing and probably dead. That IS a problem but not the one he meant. Mick meets Beth at Buzzwire and plays part of the tape for her. It sounds like Shepherd might have become a vampire. It wouldn't have been possible for him to live in jail as one but it would be possible if he were Turned just before the execution. So how do you start a manhunt for a dead man? Mick says 'first you verify the dead part' and he leaves on a mission.

helloeeze
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by helloeeze »

When I see the scene where Mick is playing the tape I think what a great team Mick and Beth are making. Mick comes to Beth with his information and shares it with her. I also think I'm liking Mick's hair in this epi. It's shorter but I like it. I'm shallow, I know. Beth's hair is glorious in this episode. Gotta give the girl credit when it's due her.
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Mick goes to the prison to look for Donovan's body.

It should be there. An executed body is held at the prison morgue for 10 days. He slips in and finds the draw marked with Shepherd's name.

His VO tells us that if Shepherd has turned vamp there should be an empty draw. He opens it. Okay, there's a body. He pulls it out and unzips it. Lo and behold, we've found the DAs body.

The VO says that Shepherd has risen all right. And he's pissed.

We jumpt to a little later. Mick must have informed Beth of what he's found and thinks that it would be safer if Audrey stays at HIS place (yeah, cuz we all know how safe his place is).

He runs through all the features that his place has which should make it safe. Out of the corner of his eye he notices that he's left a dity glass at the sink. Not good. he goes over and rinses it. Beth follows and tells Mick how nice this is of him.

He tells her "Mi casa es su casa", which is spanish for keep her out of my stuff.

He then pulls out a box as he and Beth discuss how the police think that the DA was murdered by Shepherd's followers. Mick thinks that is good because then they will stay out of his way and let him hunt Shepherd in peace. Mick opens the box and it contains vampire hunting weapons. It makes Beth nervous. Mick reaches in and takes some things. He hesitates over the machete, decides not to take it and closes the box.

He tells Audrey that Beth will be staying with her. Poor girl looks nervous.

Mick is trying to be a good host. He starts to say something about if they're hungry but beth rescues him by saying they'll order in. Mick gives her a head nudge sign that she should walk him out. He tells her that he would recommend they not go into the office..

He turns to leave but stops to add a warning about going upstairs.

Or through the gray door.

Beth is amused. She tells him this all sounds so Alice in Wonderland.

He tells her to beware the bottles that say 'drink me'.

Beth laughs as he leaves.

This last scene is one of my favorite Mick/Beth scenes. It's so relaxed and playful.

Okay...question: What is your take of Mick hesitating over the machete. Was he trying to not scare Audrey? Beth? Did he not think he could conceal it? Or was he not looking to murder Shepherd? Would he have staked him and called the Cleaner?

And what's up with those stakes? Are they silver? Is silver only dangerous to them if it penetrates the body?
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Not sure why he didn't take the machete, but it might have been a bit difficult to conceal. The metallic looking stakes might be silver. If I understood correctly, silver in contact with the vampire body would act as a poison. so, if a vamp is staked with silver, it could be considered a very slow painful way to kill a vamp.

ITA about the exchange between Mick and Beth. That last shot of Beth is one of my favorites....she seems so genuinely happy and relaxed. I've wondered if there wasn't a bit of Sophia emerging....I think she and Alex enjoyed working together and had fun with it.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

As always, LOVE your synopsis and screen caps, GA... but my FAVORITE line from that scene, when he lets em in his house is, "Excuse the mess."

WHAT MESS? That ONE little bloody glass?????????

He would DIE at my house!!!!!!!!!

And he is following that ages-old advice... Leave the machete; take the stakes. :giggle:

Return to “Episode Discussion”