Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 10: Sleeping Beauty

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Re: Sleeping Beauty (Episode Ten)

Post by librarian_7 »

I think others have suggested in the past...that Josef had been at Mick's place so often, it might have been mistaken for residual scent from a prior visit.

As for the glass of blood...well, we do know from 12:04 that even neat-freak Mick occasionally leaves out a dirty glass!

Lucky
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Sounds like what Coraline says is open for interpretation then. I've watched it over and over on iTunes and to me it very much sounds like "You think you love her." The "You" is not very clear (but I definitely do not hear an "I"). There seems to be just a hearbeat of a breath before "think" that could be an exhaled "you".

I guess Mick should have smelled Josef's presence but maybe he thought it was a lingering scent on himself and Beth from being at his place. Also, he was pretty distracted. How many times do we not notice something we should have because we were distracted?

As for him walking into his office for that drink.....I've wondered about it myself. Hmm....maybe he left a mess in the apartment and didn't want Beth to see? LOL
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Well, this is one of the neat things about analyzing film, as opposed to print, texts....different people hear different things, and there really is no right or wrong answer. Even if the script says one thing, and the subtitles say something different...who knows? Shannyn might be able to elucidate what she said, if she even remembers at this point. I'm not sure anyone else could say for absolute sure.

Lucky
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

librarian_7 wrote:Well, this is one of the neat things about analyzing film, as opposed to print, texts....different people hear different things, and there really is no right or wrong answer. Even if the script says one thing, and the subtitles say something different...who knows?

Lucky
Since all tvs in my house have the closed-captioned activated this made me think of something. Sometimes a show is captioned saying one thing and if it has subtitles on a dvd later it says something else.

Then sometimes different channels i.e. CBS or Syfy caption things differently.

Sometimes a tv show is captioned from the final script and if a word was changed and the script not updated the captioning is wrong. Other times shows are "live" captioned while it is on there is someone captioning it so it's what they hear not necessarily what was in the script or said.

So truthfully as Lucky said there is no right or wrong.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

And I think the close caption does say something different from what was spoken, if I remember another discussion about this ep correctly. He said, in the commercial for this ep, that Coraline had been a vamp for 500 years... which of course doesn't square with what he told Beth in the car in FdL...

In the ep, as it aired, they edited out the 500, and he just says she's been a vampire for years... but I recall someone writing that the 500 years line still shows up on the captions...

Is this indeed true?
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Mick, Josef and Beth gather in Mick's living room to watch the surveillence video. Mick wants to know if Josef recognizes the human who attacked him.

He doesn't. He wants to know if the guy's a vamp. Mick says the guy is human - showed up on the infrared. Beth asks if the guy knew Josef was a vampire (come on, Beth - you already figured he did at the office). Mick responds that the guy DID use fire.

Then Beth asks if the other guys that were killed, were they vampires too? Josef nods then tells Mick to remind him to donate a little something to charity in their names. Oh, but he can't. Josef stands and delivers his point - he has no money.

He has no office, no anything. Because some janitor decided to whack him in a very public, very 'hard to explain why I'm still alive' kind of way.

Everyone thinks he's dead. Mick says it has to stay that way. This assassin has access to military grade weaponry. Somone hired the guy and as long as Josef stays 'dead' the person will think they succeeded.

Josef's anwer? Find him and whack him. Then he can carry on with business.

Mick gets up and takes the video, puts it in his jacket pocket. Josef wants to know where he's going.

The assasin is military so Mick's going to take it to Ryder England - to hack into the files.

Josef says he can't. Can't hack the military?

Yes he can. And did. Which is why he's on sabatical in South America.

Beth chimes in that she has a hacker friend named Sam. Mick says 'let's go'. Before they leave Mick give Josef a command to stay. He is not to leave the apartment. Beth's smirk always makes me laugh. You just know she's thinking that she knows just how he feels and is glad it's him and not her.

Josef looks just so thrilled.

librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

This is one of those "why I love Josef" scenes. He's sharp, snarky, and manages to get his general state of pissed-off-ness clear, without expressing it as just unattractive anger. It's all SO Josef.

Lucky
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

love this little scene - it's just so Josef-y.

have to thank Jason for being botox-free here - the sixth panel up from the bottom - that expression is so cute I just want to pinch his cheeks and cuddle him at the same time. :snicker:
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

So how hard could it have been to rehire the actor who played Ryder? I liked Sam, but was always bummed we didn't get more Ryder.

And this sucker is just Josef's episode... it just is.
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

wpgrace wrote:So how hard could it have been to rehire the actor who played Ryder? I liked Sam, but was always bummed we didn't get more Ryder.

And this sucker is just Josef's episode... it just is.
Yeah, but the delivery on the "He can. He did. And that's why he's on sabbatical in South America." like is so perfect...I can't think that it could get better than that!

(Heck, I'd love to see a Sam/Logan/Ryder love triangle...oh, wait, that's what we have fic for!)

Lucky
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

We definitely get to see Josef shine in this episode. His frustration comes through loud and clear. Don't know whether to laugh at him or hug him. Hmmm. Hell, I want to do both.

As for Ryder, I found him to be a little creepy but I did like him and was disappointed that they never used him again. And of COURSE Ryder would have been able to hack the military. Josef would only hire the BEST!
Kade1301
Kostan Industries intern

Post by Kade1301 »

librarian_7 wrote:
Yeah, but the delivery on the "He can. He did. And that's why he's on sabbatical in South America." like is so perfect...I can't think that it could get better than that!

(Heck, I'd love to see a Sam/Logan/Ryder love triangle...oh, wait, that's what we have fic for!)

Lucky
Couldn't agree more with the first paragraph. And the second is a great idea - IS there such a story? Where?
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

Loved the Josef rant. Loved the Rider challenge followed by the slam dunk. (But hey, y'all knew that already.)
NM911
LIVE WIDE
It ain't canon until they've shot it (and aired it) - I said that.
Trust the Muse. - Catmoon
The system isn't broken, it's fixed. - Billo
helloeeze
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by helloeeze »

I loved Mick in this scene! I think Mick was somewhat perturbed that he was led to believe Josef was dead and got all whinny and then teary with Beth. :witsend: :blushing: Mick has just the right amount of indignation at Josef. :grumble: The way Mick's chin is a tiny bit elevated as he's sitting in the chair gives Mick an aura of righteous. :noway: Great acting on Alex's part I think. Or maybe it's the way he's not looking at Josef, eyes downcast, lips slightly pursed.
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Mick and Beth head to Buzzwire and have Sam look at the footage of the assassin. As they're watching, she asks if that is the only time they get a clear look at his face. Mick is staring at Sam the whole time.

He says yes. But she must have felt his stare because she turns to him and asks if there's a problem.

He says no but when Beth said she had a hacker friend named Sam.....

Sam finishes the sentence for him. He thought she was a guy. Overweight. Living in his parent's basement. Wearing a t-shirt with Yoda on it.

Beth smiles. Mick admits to the thoughts. Beth says that he's kinda 'old school'.

MmHmm. They all get past it and move on. Sam says if this guy IS special ops, he went through basic training which means that he had his picture taken for military I.D. She uses facial recognition software to cross reference their image with the pentagon's military data base.

Beth wants to know how she has access to that. Sam answers "don't ask, don't tell." Beth seems okay with that.

The get a match. The guy's name is Ralf Martan.

Mick moves behind the ladies so he can read along with Sam. He's ex-military, green beret. Special Ops. Was in Iraq. Discharged and went back as part of Dark Watch Associates. A mercenary.

Beth gives Mick a look. (Not sure if she's thinking "how do you know this? Or "are you kidding me?!")

Martan got in trouble over there, went solo and disappeared off the radar. Talk about born to kill. Sam asks if they are sure they want to find this guy. Mick looks pretty sure. But Beth doesn't.

Return to “Episode Discussion”