Alex on CM: "The Big Wheel" - links, reviews, discussion

willing freshie

Re: Alex on CM: "The Big Wheel" - links, reviews, discussion

Post by willing freshie »

I finally read through the thread and I also want to thank you Susie for getting your obviously extremely knowledgeable friend to give us his view.

And you are a sweetie to ask him! :rose:

Of course, this is TV and Alex wanted a character that could have redeeming qualities. As Susie's friend said, this kind of killer can not feel remorse or compassion in RL. But I know we all loved that emotional ending; fake or not! :hearts:
fairytoes
Rogue vampire

Re: A few YouTube vids of Vincent...

Post by fairytoes »

Thank you Grace! I loved the second one!
Wonderful Banner by Redwinter
Gorgeous Avi by Lilly
Thank you!
wondergirl9847
Rogue vampire

Post by wondergirl9847 »

Okay, I've seen the entire show, beginning to end. Yes, I teared up. What? LOL

Alex was amazing and that line, "You helped me to see." REALLY got me. Seeing his routine was excruciating because it has to be like living in chains when you have OCD. I mean, I have routines and like things a certain way, but that is like living in a prison. Not being able to function unless you do things a certain way and all...ugh!

When he stabbed people, you could see the release on his face. He'd close his eyes and take it in. I'll need to watch it a hundred more times, but I'm sorry, the exposition is BORING. LOL I couldn't watch Criminal Minds on a weekly basis. :confused2: I kept waiting for them to shut up to get back to Vincent. LOL
*Christy*

willing freshie

wondergirl9847 wrote:Okay, I've seen the entire show, beginning to end. Yes, I teared up. What? LOL

Alex was amazing and that line, "You helped me to see." REALLY got me. Seeing his routine was excruciating because it has to be like living in chains when you have OCD. I mean, I have routines and like things a certain way, but that is like living in a prison. Not being able to function unless you do things a certain way and all...ugh!

When he stabbed people, you could see the release on his face. He'd close his eyes and take it in. I'll need to watch it a hundred more times, but I'm sorry, the exposition is BORING. LOL I couldn't watch Criminal Minds on a weekly basis. :confused2: I kept waiting for them to shut up to get back to Vincent. LOL

Also agreed here. Not really to blame those actors but they do nothing interesting or that would require any talent at all. I am not saying they aren't talented; just that they have nothing to their roles. They meet, talk about the unsub; talk with the family; capture the unsub. I have watched three episodes of CM now; it is always the same. BBBOOOOORRRRIIINNNGGG---except when Alex came on.

Really, it is the guest roles that have substance; not the regulars. Alex had to dig deep into his character to play it well; what work is there in the other roles? None, IMHO.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

I'm an occasional CM watcher and I do think there is a real gift to keeping characters going in a long-running series. William Petersen did it in CSI, for example.

I have had a soft spot for Thomas Gibson for years (since he was so sublimely wonderful in Tales of the City) and in the episodes where his character actually gets something meaty, he is wonderful - definitely the emotional core of the show. But that just doesn't happen often enough for me. I like Garcia, but the rest are just a bit *shrug* for me. And the constant exposition is, as WF said, tiresome.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
starbucksjunkie
Logan's WoW nemesis
Location: Home drinking my own Starbucks and watching my DVDs. There's a recession on!

Post by starbucksjunkie »

redwinter101 wrote:I'm an occasional CM watcher and I do think there is a real gift to keeping characters going in a long-running series. William Petersen did it in CSI, for example.

I have had a soft spot for Thomas Gibson for years (since he was so sublimely wonderful in Tales of the City) and in the episodes where his character actually gets something meaty, he is wonderful - definitely the emotional core of the show. But that just doesn't happen often enough for me. I like Garcia, but the rest are just a bit *shrug* for me. And the constant exposition is, as WF said, tiresome.

Red
I agree. I had not watched CM before it was announced that Alex would be on the show. I "primed" myself by watching several weeks in a row to become familiar with the characters, procedure, etc. (Yeah, I know. Obsessed? Who me? :whistle: )

I was BORED. And I love Joe Mantegna. Or used to, anyway. That show just doesn't have any spark.

"There is a degree to which . . . all literature, highbrow or low, from the Aeneid onward, is fan fiction . . . retelling and reimagining the stories that were told before us and that we have come of age loving--amateurs--we proceed, seeking out the blank places in the map that our favorite writers . . . have left for us . . ." -- Michael Chabon, Maps and Legends
willing freshie

redwinter101 wrote:I'm an occasional CM watcher and I do think there is a real gift to keeping characters going in a long-running series. William Petersen did it in CSI, for example.

Red

Exactly, Red. I don't really blame the actors, as I said, there is just nothing of substance for them to work with. I now remember why I don't watch procedurals. Too much sitting around talking! :yawn: :sleeping:
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Here are a couple of things I thought people might be interested in that I gleaned from the "Big Wheel" script.

This is what the script says when Vincent is sticking his tongue out, looking in the mirror:
INT. VINCENT'S APARTMENT/KITCHEN - DAY

Water runs down a white enameled sink, escaping through the metallic sink strainer. Vincent obsessively cleans his hands. Washes his face.

VINCENT
(On the roof of his mouth)
Cluck! Cluck!

Glasses off. He rises up. Dries his face. Looks at the black plastic covered mirror. He pulls down the plastic. Cautiously. Gazes back at his face. Opens his mouth wide. Sticks out his tongue. Why? He's crazy.
So the script doesn't really give much illumination as to why he does it... just 'cause he's crazy.

At the amusement park, near the end of the episode:
Stanley reaches for Vincent's hand. Vincent offers his arm instead, avoiding human contact.
And then, at the very end:
Stan reaches out for Vincent's hand. In the final moment's [sic] of Vincent's life, he takes Stanley's hand in his. The wheel turns slowly round. The world beneath rising to greet them.

STANLEY
I wish you could be my dad.

VINCENT
(whispers)
Forgive me.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

alle, I can't believe I forgot you had the script!!!! Oh I bet you've had a marvellous time finally reading it (and yay you on the willpower).

Thanks for sharing!

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

alle~~~Thanks for the peek!! Cracked up on the "he's crazy" part!! Here we are, parsing and dissecting and looking for hidden meaning behind every tiny detail, and it's just that simple: HE"S CRAZY!!!
willing freshie

Wow! I forgot, too! That explains a lot! He was still OCD about hand to hand contact walking through the amusement park----but when he knew he was dying, he held the boy's hand tight and asks him to forgive him. :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

And, yeah. Here we all are analyzing why he did the mirror thing; and really, he was just plain CRAZY!!! :snicker: :snicker: :snicker:

ETA: Fleur, we think alike, girl! :thumbs:
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

If anybody has specific questions about a particular scene, I'd be happy to look at the script and tell you what it says...
willing freshie

Just post it all! JK!! :hug: :hug:

Were they hankies on the table wrapped in plastic by his bed?

And did he come across the real estate agent by accident, or was he walking there because he set the appointment up so she would be alone? I mean, he walked there without his car.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

The plastic-wrapped items are not mentioned in this version of the script. (It's the pink version, which I believe is the second rewrite). It's dated February 16th. Vincent doesn't use a handkerchief to open the door of his SUV, either.

ETA: Sorry, I didn't see your second question. He seems to have had an appointment. But in this version of the script, he picks up a guy's wallet that falls as the guy is helping an old man in a wheelchair out of a car. The couple he meets (the ones who give the cops the sketch) are coming out of the open house as he stands watching the house from across the street. I guess they combined those two into the one couple in the car.
willing freshie

allegrita wrote: Vincent doesn't use a handkerchief to open the door of his SUV, either.

Does it say what it is? A baby wipe? LOL

I am being such a pest! Sorry! :rose:

I watched the episode around 6 times now---you know, it's my OCD for Alex! :snicker: :snicker:

Return to “Past Projects”