Searching for Sonny - part 2 - World Premiere

Locked Jason threads are here.
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Re: Searching for Sonny - part 2 - World Premiere

Post by Lilly »

Not that I'm partial or anything, but the cinematography on Sonny kind of blows the others away. :gasp: :hearts: :woohoo:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

There hasn't been an official announcement from the Searching for Sonny gang, but it looks like the film will be showing in LA in April. :teeth: :woohoo:

The First Glance Hollywood 12 Film Festival has Searching for Sonny listed on it's official selections page: http://www.firstglancefilms.com/hollywo ... selections

The festival is scheduled to run April 20-22.

(Sadly, that's the week after I'll be out there on vacation. :sigh: )
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Woot! :hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2:
(But rats that you'll miss it.) :Mickangel:
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

And --yay!! :yahoo: -- even before Hollywood, Searching for Sonny will be screening at the Phoenix Film Festival which runs March 29 - April 5! :hyper2:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

I'm really tickled for them, that SfS has made it into so many festivals. :hearts: They are building buzz and getting a bigger and bigger audience. (And I'm thrilled for the lucky festival-goers, who get to watch it!!) :yahoo:
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Searching for Sonny will be playing at the The Omaha Film Festival on March 9th at 6pm.

http://omaha.festivalgenius.com/2012/fi ... _omaha2012

Right now, their festival schedule is:

2/24 - Boomtown Film & Music Festival - Beaumont, TX

3/9 - Omaha Film Festival - Omaha, NE

3/30 - 4/1 Phoenix Film Festival - Phoeniz, AZ -- showing 3 times

4/20-22 - First Glance Hollywood 12
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
HotMicks
Ancient

Post by HotMicks »

Um, just mentioning for the benefit of any person(s) who might have some sorta contact with these folks that, well, we have a lot of film festivals in San Francisco too, and since they'll be in our neck of the woods anyway... :whistle:

:devil:

:fingerscrossed:
~ Hot Mick's Mistress of Chill
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

I'm hoping it shows up at the Tribeca Film Festival one day
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Hey, just got in from seeing Searching for Sonny at the Boomtown Film Festival. The crowd was small--perhaps 50 people, in an auditorium that could have held twice as many. But everyone laughed a lot, and seemed to appreciate the film.

Andrew was there, and answered a few questions after the screening. He was his usual self--very friendly and willing to chat. He did say, when the inevitable question came up, that they had lined up something like six festival screenings in the next 9 weeks, and that a distribution deal would be announced soon. (No details, but it does sound promising!)

I enjoyed seeing the movie again, and my husband actually laughed a lot. He's not really a big movie person, so I was very glad he thought it was a decent film. I'll probably go back tomorrow afternoon for the second screening...
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

A little more info from Boomtown...

BTW, I totally neglected to mention that last night, Mr. Lucky and I met up before the screening with Rhonda, and had a nice convo while waiting for the movie. We also watched a little of the narrative short films screened right before SfS.

Andrew did comment (when asked) that he is working on new scripts and projects.

We were a little disappointed when they cut the video feed before the end of the credits, specifically before the names of the Kickstarter donors appeared on the screen....but they were in a hurry to let Andrew stand up and answer questions.

Today, I went back for the second screening. Andrew was there briefly before the screening, to introduce the film, then he took off for a panel. There were only about 15-25 people present, in a medium-sized lecture hall. (It could easily have held 100...) I'm thinking this festival is probably more geared to the music part, and not so much with the film.

Another problem today, was that the auditorium had large windows on one side, and the blinds covering them were inadequate--the amount of ambient light was enough to obscure the darker scenes of the film, and there are a lot of them in SfS! Had I not seen it the night before, I would have been very disappointed. Although, since so much of the humor in the film is verbal, the audience did seem to enjoy it, regardless.
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Lucky -- I'm completely envious that you got to see the film TWO more times! :woohoo:

Here's another film festival we can add to the list: The Greenville International Film Festival, April 25-28 in Greenville, SC.

http://www.gviff.com/festival/films

:teeth:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

I really like the movie. It's not Citizen Kane, by any means. (It's a whole lot funnier than Kane, for one thing....) But I like it. And I wanted to note a couple of things, which are related to the movie, but not spoilers.

I love the way Jason actually uses a different voice for parts of the film...higher and lighter. He manages to sound less mature, more uncertain.

And I decided I love the names of some of the main characters. The three guys who are doing the searching are surnamed Knight and Noble. Aptly for a quest! And the girl Elliott lost in 9th grade has a first name, appropriately, of Eden.

Lucky
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Wow, I had never made that connection with the names, Lucky. Nice. :blinksmile: :twothumbs:

And here's the updated Film Festival list, with links:

3/9 - Omaha Film Festival - Omaha, NE - http://omaha.festivalgenius.com/2012/fi ... _omaha2012

3/30 - 4/1 Phoenix Film Festival - Phoeniz, AZ -- showing 3 times - http://phoenix.festivalgenius.com/2012/ ... hoenix2012

4/20 - First Glance Hollywood 12 - 7:30pm @ Raleigh Studios, LA - Schedule

4/25-28 - The Greenville International Film Festival in Greenville, SC. - Greenville International Film Festival | 2012 Films
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

And although it hasn't been officially announced yet, Andrew did indicate to me that they would be at the Hill Country Film Festival in Fredricksburg, TX.

http://www.hillcountryff.com/index.php

I swear he said 6 festivals in 9 weeks. That sounds very exhausting...but he's young.
HotMicks
Ancient

Post by HotMicks »

Okay, since they're hitting every "one-horse" town known to man, can someone please forward this on to them? I'm sure there's at least one of these Bay Area festivals that they might be interested in (tho some, clearly not :snicker: ). Please tell them we have A LOT of film freaks in SF so they'd probably do well here... and well, I really wanna see this flick. :pray:

(in spoiler tags due to length... we have a film festival for everything... even bicycles - are there any bikes in the film? :laugh: )
Spoiler:
Annual Film Festivals in SF Bay Area

Spring
Sebastapol Documentary Film Festival
Sebastapol - March
The mission is to showcase strong, independent documentary films and to develop a strong Latino film program to showcase work representative of the large Latino population in Sonoma County.

Contra Costa International Jewish Film Festival
Pleasant Hill, Walnut Creek, Livermore - March
Using the power of film to reflect the vitality of Jewish culture, as well as a cultural meeting ground to build community.

Asian American Film Festival
San Francisco, Berkeley, and San Jose - March
Noncompetitive festival features Asian and Asian American cinema and cinema from the Asian diaspora. Features, shorts, narrative, documentaries, experimental, animation, music video is dedicated to showing independent Asian-American shorts, feature films and videos.

Cinequest Film Festival
San Jose - March
Films, filmmakers and technologies that embody the maverick spirit

Tiburon International Film Festival
Tiburon - March
Since 2001 the hometown of Robert Redford has been hosting a way for "the most well-traveled and educated citizens in the world, ... to satisfy their desire to go beyond themselves."

San Francisco Irish Film Festival
San Francisco, - March
Bringing the best in new Irish film and television to the Bay Area, much of which will not be released theatrically in the USA.

Women of Color Film Festival
San Francisco, - March
Progressive showcase of films created by an underrepresented sector of the film industry.

Hi/Lo Film Festival
San Francisco -April
Showcasing short films with high concepts and low budgets. Presented by S.F. comedy troupe Killing My Lobster, the festival features over 40 films with a wide range of wacky themes.

San Francisco Women's Film Festival
San Francisco -April
Created in response to the lack of women filmmaker's in SFSU's curriculum. New films, and older films that have contributed to cinema history.

Alice's Three Minute Film Festival
San Francisco -April
Approximately 20 short films are screened, with $10,000 in prizes. Prizes are awarded for Drama/Documentary, Comedy, Animation, Music Video and more.

EarthDance: The Short-Attention Span Environmental Film Festival
Oakland - April
The largest festival of environmental film shorts in the country. Features mockumentary, documentary, animated, and dramatic short films (30 seconds to 30 minutes) by a host of domestic and international filmmakers.

San Francisco International Film Festival
San Francisco & Berkeley - April & May
Narrative features, documentaries, shorts, animation, experimental, TV categories. Selection usually by invitation for features, by jury competition for documentaries and shorts.

Sonoma Valley Film Festival
Sonoma - April
Presenting independent, short, and student films and documentaries.

City Shorts Film Festival
San Francisco - May
City College of San Francisco presents City Shorts, the Cinema Department’s Film Festival run by students for students.

Summer
San Francisco Greek Film Festival
San Francisco - June
Offering a gateway to the rich, complex culture of contemporary Greece through its lively and
passionate cinema.

Zeitgeist International Film Festival
San Francisco - June/July/August
Celebrating the short independent film since 1999.

Film Night
Marin County - summer/fall
Nonprofit organization that produces film events outside in Marin county parks. San Rafael Albert Park Mill Valley Mill Valley Community Center San Anselmo Creek Park San Geronimo San Geronimo Cultural Center

Another Hole in the Head
San Francisco - June
Two weeks of sci fi, horror and fantasy presented by sfindie fest.

Black Film Festival
San Francisco - June
Annual festival celebrating the cinema of African-America and the African cultural diaspora.

San Francisco International Lesbian & Gay Film Festival
San Francisco - June
The world's oldest and largest celebration of LGBT cinema.

Queer Women of Color Film Festival
San Francisco - June
Dedicated to increasing the visibility of women of color, and to authentically reflecting their life stories.

San Francisco Sex Worker Film and Arts Festival

San Francisco - July
Celebrates the contributions that sex workers make to arts communities, and focuses on their rights, identities, artistry and stories.

Brainwash Movies Drive-In/Bike-In/Walk-In Movie Festival
Oakland - July
Shows approximately 25 shorts and the occasional feature. Bring an FM radio so you can tune in to the film!

San Francisco Silent Film Festival
San Francisco - July
Annual celebration of silent movies.

LaborFest
San Francisco & Oakland - July
LaborFest was established in 1994 to institutionalize the history and culture of working people in an annual labor cultural, film and arts festival.

Wine Country Film Festival
Glen Ellen - July/August
Showcase of indie and international films in the Napa and Sonoma Valley.

Jewish Film Festival
San Francisco/Berkeley/Menlo Park/Marin - July/August
The first and oldest Jewish film festival in the world, with screenings of more than 40 films by Jewish filmmakers from around the world.

San Francisco International Short Film Festival
San Francisco - August
Strives to screen a range of films so wide viewers will have trouble getting their arms, and heads, around it.

Fall
Arab Film Festival
San Francisco, San Jose,and Berkeley - September and October
Bringing the best of Arab cinema to the Bay Area.

SF Underground Short Film Festival
San Francisco - September
Enjoy midnight movies, b-films, cult cinema, drive-in trash, and the ultra outrageous in fifteen minutes or less.

Bicycle Film Festival
Three days of film shorts, features, artists, and musicians all in celebration of the bicycle in allits various forms and styles.

Lunafest
Fundraising film festival dedicated to promoting awareness
about women's issues, highlighting women filmmakers, and bringing women together in their communities.

Madcat Women's International Film Festival
San Francisco & Berkeley - September/October
MadCat is a highly acclaimed festival that exhibits independent and experimental films and videos directed by women from around the globe.

San Francisco Documentary Film Festival
San Francisco -September/October
About the overlooked yet astonishing subcultures of the world.

Mill Valley Film Festival
San Rafael - October
Presenting the best in American Independent and International cinema. The festival is presented by The California Film Institute

ATA Film and Video Festival
San Francisco - October
An assembly of films 20 minutes and under that you won't see anywhere else.

Berkeley Film and Video Festival
Berkeley - October
Created to provide an avenue for independent film and videomakers creating works that challenge and confront our notion of "Electronic Cinema."

CounterCorp Anti-Corporate Film Festival
San Francisco - October
Examining the true nature of corporations, the role they play, and their effects on society.

United Nations Association Film Festival
Stanford - October
Films and videos dealing with local and global issues: human rights, environmental survival, women's issues, protection of refugees, homelessness, racism, famine, disease control, universal education, war and peace. Sponsored by the Stanford Film Society.

Resfest Digital Film Festival
San Francisco - October
A huge range of digital works shown at the Palace of Fine Arts.

Good Vibrations Amateur Erotic Film Competition
San Francisco - October
We ask for sexy, safe, HOT submissions for our Amateur Erotic Film Competition and boy-o-boy do we get some doosies! Join our celebrity judges as they screen the top picks and sign yourself up to win some fabulous prizes!

Italian Film Festival
San Rafael - October & November
The centerpiece is always top-quality Italian cinema.

San Jose Jewish Film Festival
San Jose - October & November
Presenting films from around the world representing the diversity of the Jewish experience. At Camera 12 Theatres in downtown San Jose.

International Latino Film Festival
San Rafael - November
Promotes filmmaking of significant artistic merit that has been created by Latinos - or which depicts the Latino experience - for the benefit of the Bay Area community.

American Indian Film Festival
San Francisco - November
Films and videos from American Indian and Canada First Nation communities.

Tranny Fest
San Francisco - November
Yearly event at SF's Victoria Theatre, a mix of transgender and transgenre films and videos.

Poppy Jasper Film Festival
Morgan Hill - November
The mission of the Poppy Jasper Festival is to promote emerging voices of independent filmmakers, foster an environment of interaction and exposure in the filmmaking craft and bring the passion of filmmaking to the community.

SF 3rd I International South Asian Film Festival
San Francisco - Second Weekend of November
Showcasing diverse images of South Asians through independent film. At the Castro and Roxie Theatres.

Winter
Berlin and Beyond
San Francisco - January
Annual film festival features new independent films from Germany, Austria, and Switzerland.

San Francisco Ocean Film Festival
San Francisco - January
Started in 2004, the SFOFF celebrates the joy, power, and mystery of the sea.

Noir City Film Festival
San Francisco - January & February
Mainly screens vintage films, but also considers short noir-based films for presentation.

Independent Film Festival
San Francisco - February
American independent films and short animation. Screening at the Lumiere, Victoria, and Fine Arts Cinema; SF IndieFest helps support and preserve the work of local independent filmmakers.

Armenian Film Festival
San Francisco - February
Increases awareness and appreciation of Armenian culture with films from the Republic of Armenia and the Armenian diaspora.
The big ones - ie, most attendance - are the SF International and the SF independent film fests. I'd say Cinequest is probably the next biggest... some of these I never even heard of in all my years here (I'm talkin' 'bout you, Bike Fest :shrug: ).
~ Hot Mick's Mistress of Chill

Return to “The Jason Archives”