Afterglow, part twelve, conclusion (M/B/J, PG-13)

wollstonecraft61
Rogue vampire

Re: Afterglow, part twelve, conclusion (M/B/J, PG-13)

Post by wollstonecraft61 »

Oh, Red, this is the best of the best you have done. You amaze me with not only the skill of your writing, but the intensity of emotion, love, tragedy, well, they are almost overwhelming. That is what makes you a fantastic writer. Now I have to go explain to my husband why I am sobbing so he doesn't think someone in the family died. Somehow, I can't explain to him someone did. :comfort: :hankie:
Banner by the beautiful Alyssa Banner by the EXTREMELY talented eris
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

lorig, that is SUCH a wonderful comment - and compliment. Thank you. :rose:

coco, if you didn't guess, then I did my job. Josef's letters were the very first thing I wrote when I started this story - they were what I was writing towards - and I made myself cry ( :roll: ) when I wrote them. I'm so glad the ending worked for you. :heart:

Woll, oh Woll, that's so amazing. Someone in the family. Josef would approve. :comfort:

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

OMG... what a read, Red!

First of all, you are a hell of a writer. This story had a love story, including amazing love scenes, it had intrigue and danger and mystery, it had our heroes threatened and going into hiding, it had deal-making and crime-solving, it had star-crossed romance and reunion, it had stalking and the supernatural, it had the frikkin devil, and it had an utterly emotional finale, with self sacrifice, the price of friendship... but not just. Josef had a larger goal in mind... he was the captain who went down INSTEAD of his ship. D@mn.

Second of all... this was an amazing finale. It was a thrill ride... of the dark sort, but again, not just. The good guys DID win. They suffered casualties... but they won. They have a future... more so than even at the beginning. What a twist. Only you woulda thought of that.

Third... whew! You didn't kill Mick. Petty, I know. But I don't care. Yay! Mick is still ok... tho pretty bummed. But alive and bummed beats the alternative.

Fouth... Don Giovanni?? There's a fire in a garden and the devil.... is it Don Giovanni???

Fifth... brava honey. I've printed out all the other chapters; I'm gonna print this one and take it to read all together in the carpool line tomorrow. :devil:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

*loves Grace to pieces*

Thank you, honey. :heart:

The captain going down instead of his ship - that's wonderful. I love it. And as for Mick, I promised you I'd never kill him again. So, alive but bummed it is.

And I'm afraid it's not Don Giovanni either.

Red :hearts:

P. S. While reading in the carpool lane, just don't forget the kids, k?

Lupine
Kostan Industries intern

Post by Lupine »

This is too good for me to be able to adequately tell you how much it touched me. I had thought that maybe Josef's plan was to sacrifice himself to spare Mick and Beth but just to save their lives didn't seem an adequate enough reason for one such as Josef. You gave a reason bigger than just the two of them and everything made sense and even though Josef is not my favorite character I have tears in my eyes.

This is a wonderful story. Thank you so much for sharing it.
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

Perfection.
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

Don Carlos?
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Lupine, thank you. :rose: It's always the challenge with a final chapter to bring everything together so it makes sense - I'm delighted to hear that it did so for you.

Lisa, :curtesy: Perfection is a big word... (and it's still not Don Carlos :giggle: ).

Red

Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

Well, I could have gone on and on, but realized that one big word encapsulates all that I felt while reading this piece of genius. The emotional weight of this is hefty, and all encompassing. It is operatic.

See, you tricked me into using more words!!

:hearts:

And the only other opera I know of, is La Traviata--and I know that's not it.

Next time, pick a Disney movie theme or something---give us less cultured ones (me and grace) a chance!!
Last edited by Fleur de Lisa on Sun May 03, 2009 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

I'm sneaky that way.

*loves Lisa*

Red

redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Lisa, I shall start handing out clues if necessary.

Red

Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

oh no... I was really hoping that you'd find a solution that would allow them all to live. :sigh:
Within the context of this story, this is the only solution. You write beautifully Red, and have constructed a beautiful, melancholic and ultimately uplifting piece of fiction. Bouquets to you.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
jenstc2003
Rogue vampire

Post by jenstc2003 »

That was just.... WOW! I have no more words. What a beautiful, sad ending- and Josef, as usual, gets exactly what he wants. Wonderful Red.
Jen

Mick's Synful One
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Luxe, thank you for the bouquets and the kind words. :curtesy: There was always going to be a price to be paid - sorry :( - there was just no way this was going to end without someone dead.

Jen, *hugs* thank you, sweetie. :heart:

Red

allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

:hankie: :hankie: :hankie: :hankie: :hankie: :hankie: :hankie: :hankie: :hankie: :hankie:

OK... taking a breath or nine here... :sigh:

This was a beautifully crafted story from beginning to end, Red, and I raise a glass to your artistry. It was a difficult and sad journey...and worth every step. I suffered with these people, cried for them, held my breath as each of them went through danger and pain. I grew to love each of them even more than I had done before, and to lose Josef is really, really devastating to me. But it's absolutely the perfect ending.

I was pretty sure it was going to be Josef all along, but you made me doubt myself toward the end (you rascal, you). The fact that Beth was ready to sacrifice herself for Mick is absolutely in character to me. She knew that as long as Mick had Josef, he'd be OK. Of course, with Josef gone, now she is taking on the role of anchor in Mick's life. And this trial has prepared her for that role...she's strong enough to be that strong for him. But her life is so short compared to his... that's something they will both have to face, not too far in the future. Does Mick need Beth forever? Will one lifetime be enough? Josef thought of that, but he left it for them to figure out on their own. But he put that line in his letter to Beth for a very good reason--and it wasn't really aimed at Beth...

The letters... oh, man. :notworthy: Josef's letters, like Mick's letters to Beth, do so much to illuminate him as a person. They are masterfully done, and you should be extremely proud of them. They are spot-on Josef, from the sly sarcasm to the grudging admission of tender feelings, to the staunch, unswerving friendship and love. And the much larger worldview than Mick and Beth can yet comprehend. But he prepares them for that... because I can see him passing the torch to Mick in this way. Mick has the power now, and it's up to him to step up and assume it.

Once again, I want to thank you for this story. From beginning to end, it was a work of art, and I'm in awe of your skill as an author and your vision as a storyteller.
:heart:

Return to “Afterglow”