Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 9: Fleur de Lis

news
Fledgling

Re: Fleur de Lis (Episode Nine)

Post by news »

wpgrace wrote:She may have spoken softly, but she DID carry a big stick.... :giggle:

Sorry... historian-humor... :biggrin:
That she did. ;)
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

news wrote:
wpgrace wrote:She may have spoken softly, but she DID carry a big stick.... :giggle:

Sorry... historian-humor... :biggrin:
That she did. ;)
:giggle: Gotta love Teddy Roosevelt, huh???
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
mwj01
Courtesan

Post by mwj01 »

GA, I meant to thank you again for the effort you put in to the ep discussions. Love the lively commentary! :rose:

"Damn this man and his eternal hotness!" -SirenSong
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

mwj01 wrote:GA, I meant to thank you again for the effort you put in to the ep discussions. Love the lively commentary! :rose:
Awwww, you are so welcome, mwj! The epi discussion thread was grace's idea and I'm delighted to host it.
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

allegrita wrote:Awesome recap, GA! I love this scene... Morgan seems so honest and so completely human. She's wonderful at mimicking a modern woman, except that she orders carpaccio (which is raw steak) and french fries...? :wtf: But I agree...exactly who's caught who? Um... I'd give the laurel to the lady here. Definitely.
Sorry to drop in so late ... again. :blushing:

I loved the whole restaurant scene, except I didn't know that carpaccio is raw meat. :puke: Then again, when you're used to drinking blood...

And I echo mwj01's thanks, GA. You do a wonderful job hosting these discussions. :flowers:
Beautiful tag courtesy of SirenSong.
Image My fanfic index. My banner art.

Each player must accept the cards life deals him. But once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game. Voltaire.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Phoenix wrote:
allegrita wrote:Awesome recap, GA! I love this scene... Morgan seems so honest and so completely human. She's wonderful at mimicking a modern woman, except that she orders carpaccio (which is raw steak) and french fries...? :wtf: But I agree...exactly who's caught who? Um... I'd give the laurel to the lady here. Definitely.
Sorry to drop in so late ... again. :blushing:

I loved the whole restaurant scene, except I didn't know that carpaccio is raw meat. :puke: Then again, when you're used to drinking blood...

And I echo mwj01's thanks, GA. You do a wonderful job hosting these discussions. :flowers:

Oh we alll gotta be grateful to GA... her pics and captions are utterly AWESOME!

And Phee... :coffee: :rolling: :snicker: ... I didn't think of that... but yeah... the carpaccio musta been reassuringly comforting!

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Thank you, Phee and grace. I love hosting this thread.

I too, love this scene. The chemistry is wonderful as is the dialogue and acting. And now I'm totally convinced that Morgan's whole meal was a hint. Raw meat. FRENCH fries. And Coraline's favorite wine. Mick's look over his glasses makes even more sense now, doesn't it (not just to please us with the gorgeous look).
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

GuardianAngel wrote:Thank you, Phee and grace. I love hosting this thread.

I too, love this scene. The chemistry is wonderful as is the dialogue and acting. And now I'm totally convinced that Morgan's whole meal was a hint. Raw meat. FRENCH fries. And Coraline's favorite wine. Mick's look over his glasses makes even more sense now, doesn't it (not just to please us with the gorgeous look).

*pouts* Mick doesn't try to look adorable JUST FOR US?????????? :rolling:

But I'm agreeing with you... so interesting and NEVER thought of all this before... such clever women on this board... :yes:

mwj01
Courtesan

Post by mwj01 »

Add me to the list...never thought so much about the lunch order, but I agree that it must have been by design. :snicker: Perhaps she wanted to watch him squirm a bit as she enjoyed her carpaccio. :puke:

"Damn this man and his eternal hotness!" -SirenSong
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

mwj01 wrote:Add me to the list...never thought so much about the lunch order, but I agree that it must have been by design. :snicker: Perhaps she wanted to watch him squirm a bit as she enjoyed her carpaccio. :puke:
:giggle: Well I enjoyed watching him squirm...

...tho I wouldn't touch carpaccio with a ten-foot fork... I am assuming one eats it with a fork, rather than sucks it up with a straw :biggrin: ...

coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

You know I never paid any attention to what Morgan ordered for lunch before but now it all makes sense. She was so dropping hints to Mick and he was picking up on them. I too thought the look over the sunglasses was totally for us :rolling: but it all becomes clear.

I love these discussions. Adding my thanks to GA too. :rose:
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

:smooch:, coco!

The next scene takes us to Buzzwire where Beth's VO tells us that it's pretty simple to dig into someone's background nowadays - a google search here, a credit check there....

While doing some research on the computer, she gets a message from Mick on her iPhone.

He's got keeping Morgan busy covered. Beth returns to her research. Her VO continues, asking, but when a background goes back almost 300 years....? Journalism 101, begin at the beginning. Go back to where it all started. She's searching for information on courtesans back in french history. There are pictures of the branding that they supposedly get - a fleur de lis.

We see an accounting of Coraline being dragged, bound and being branded. She's defiant and uncooperative but they burn the mark into her. It's bloodcurdling. Beth's imagining?

Beth sits back and covers her mouth in horror.

Maureen comes up behind her asking what that is on Beth's computer and she explains that it's a fleur de lis and asks if her boss knew that french courtesan's were branded with them back in the 18th century - like a permanent scarlet letter.

In typical Mo fashion she asks if it has anything to do with Paris Hilton. If not, she doesn't care.

Maureen wants to know if Beth is working on story. Beth says yes, that she's doing some research on it. She tells Maureen that the story has sex, betrayel and murder - it's got it all.

Maureen looked happy.

The writers definitely took liberties with french history. There doesn't seem to be any mention that courtesan's went through any such thing. What do you think of them doing that?
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Well, considering the complete re-write of French history in TMC...branding "courtesans" is pretty minor. I have more questions about Mick's definition of "courtesan" as "a friend of the court." He's either naive (which I doubt) or trying to spin the story.

Lucky
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

hmmm..... I know in the Dumas classic "The Three Musketeers" the villainess, Milady de Winter, had a fleur de lys branded onto her shoulder. It was written in the 1840's so not sure if it was artistic license or historical fact.

I also agree that the meal was a huuuuge hint. In fact when Coraline finally reveals herself (*ahem*) to Mick she tells him that she's been dropping him hints all over the place. e.g. my favourite wine, favorite novel by the bedside, Proust of course ('Remembrance of things Past'). I think she thinks he's been pretty slow on the uptake.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Luxe de Luxe wrote:hmmm..... I know in the Dumas classic "The Three Musketeers" the villainess, Milady de Winter, had a fleur de lys branded onto her shoulder. It was written in the 1840's so not sure if it was artistic license or historical fact.
Ah, but, if memory serves, that was for infidelity.

Lucky

Return to “Episode Discussion”