Something new! Moonlight could have a future on audio

Shadow
Courtesan

Something new! Moonlight could have a future on audio

Post by Shadow »

There’s an audio production company called Big Finish that may be interested in doing audio dramas of Moonlight, with the original cast. We’d get the voices of Alex, Sophia, et al recreating their characters for new Moonlight stories. These audio dramas are full-immersion experiences, with great supporting actors, effects, and music – the next best thing to the TV show itself.

Big Finish has a lot of experience in this medium. They’re best known for their Doctor Who stories, but have also done audio dramas for other TV shows such as Stargate and Highlander. They’re very good at re-assembling cast members, and they know Sophia personally because of her Doctor Who performance a couple of years ago. Since recording for audio does not take much of an actor’s time, it is certainly possible that they might be able to get the entire cast on board. Audio dramas can continue indefinitely, if the cast is interested in doing it and the audience keeps buying copies.

I wrote to Big Finish asking if they would consider doing Moonlight, and received this reply from producer Paul Spragg:

“I’ve passed on your comments and suggestion to the team, so we’ll see what happens. I’m not sure how big Moonlight is as regards turning it into audiobooks. I did interview Sophia Myles before the last four episodes went out and she was lovely, so who knows? Perhaps we could convince her.”

The reply is encouraging, but they’re definitely unsure if the potential audience is big enough for them to take on the project. They’re open to fan input, so if anyone is interested in this, please send a request to enquiries@bigfinish.com.

To visit their website, go to http://www.bigfinish.com.
Last edited by Shadow on Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Re: Something new! Moonlight could have a future on audio.

Post by Phoenix »

Thanks, Shadow. It would be lovely to hear Mick's voice again. :melts: So :fingerscrossed:
Beautiful tag courtesy of SirenSong.
Image My fanfic index. My banner art.

Each player must accept the cards life deals him. But once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game. Voltaire.
wollstonecraft61
Rogue vampire

Re: Something new! Moonlight could have a future on audio

Post by wollstonecraft61 »

For what it's worth, I contacted them via e-mail to express my avid interest in doing the show via audio. It would be fantastic if this were possible.
Banner by the beautiful Alyssa Banner by the EXTREMELY talented eris
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

Email sent. :pray:
Beautiful tag courtesy of SirenSong.
Image My fanfic index. My banner art.

Each player must accept the cards life deals him. But once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game. Voltaire.
bluedahlia3
Rogue vampire
Location: Strolling down a foggy street, collar popped up, emoting cigarette smoke

Post by bluedahlia3 »

Good grief...what's another email or two. I'm happy to express my desire for more Moonlight. I sent one today and I'll send another tomorrow. Thanks shadow for the idea. :dracula:
"I'm only wearing black until they come up with something darker." LaCroix
Forever grateful to Trevor Munson for his gift.
greenleaf9
Rogue vampire

Post by greenleaf9 »

Cool! I'd definitely be interested in having any form of Moonlight back. :heart: Off to go email now... Thanks for the info shadow! :hearts:
Banner created by the lovely RedNightBird.

"...The moon's an arrant thief, and her pale fire fire she snatches from the sun..." ~William Shakespeare

Better Safe Than Staked.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Sent an email, and mentioned not only the cast, but the talented Trevor as well.

And that I was aware of many, many devoted fans who would support such a project.

Lucky
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Shadow, thank you very much for looking into this. I love audio plays, and think that audio would be a wonderful way to keep the Moonlight story going without having to worry about pesky things like our vampires looking older, special effects budgets, etc. I'll definitely e-mail Big Finish and will ask my friends and family to do so as well.

I don't think it's necessary to send them multiple e-mails from the same person. That would probably just annoy them. They are interested in finding out how many people are interested--not that a few people are REALLY interested. It's simply a matter of determining if there would be enough of an audience before going to much trouble or expense on a project like that.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

I would say, too, that we do want to sound enthusiastic, but not *ahem* nuts...as an example, I'm copying what I wrote. If you want to adapt it, please feel free, but I'm thinking exact copies would not have much impact.
Dear Sir or Madam,

I have heard you are open to assessing the level of interest in audio continuation of the tv series, Moonlight. I wanted to let you know that I personally am interested, and also that I have been a member of several very active web boards, populated by many, many fans who would love to see this come together.

I would be particularly interested in seeing this if the originator of the Mick St. John character, writer Trevor Munson, could be involved with the project. And the original cast, without question, especially Alex O'Loughlin, Jason Dohring, Sophia Myles, and Shannyn Sossamon.

This is a series that has generated intense devotion from fans, who continue to discuss the original 16 episodes (endlessly!), and to write stories about these wonderful characters and their lives. We would be so grateful and supportive of anything that brought this magic back into our lives!

Thank you,
Lucky
MoonShadow
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by MoonShadow »

email has been sent!
Banner by Lilly

Be bloody, bold, and resolute; laugh to scorn
The power of man, for none of woman born
Shall harm Macbeth.

Macbeth, 4. 1
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

Shadow, this is so interesting. Thanks for letting me know about it.

I've just sent an email.

C xx
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
wondergirl9847
Rogue vampire

Post by wondergirl9847 »

What a wonderful idea!! I have sent in my email. Thank you for posting about this! :biggrin:
*Christy*

cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

Email sent.
laurapesada
Fledgling

Post by laurapesada »

Just sent it. :type:

Thanks for posting that !
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

I have just a bit of an update, some mail that I got from Big Finish today regarding Moonlight --

"I don't deny it's an interesting possibility, we'll just have to make some enquiries into licensing and see what we learn. The owners might price us out of the market, I simply don't know. We are only a small company sadly, so we have to pick and choose carefully."

Seems a good sign that they're seriously looking into what the costs would be to obtain the licensing. I think they're noticing all the requests .....
They've been able to buy audio rights to other shows, but there's no telling how Moonlight's costs would compare to those. Let's hope it turns out to be affordable!

Return to “100% Moonlight”