No nookie (kidding... don't panic, but please read)!

Come in, relax, and read.
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Re: No nookie (kidding... don't panic, but please read)!

Post by PNWgal »

Now I have a question, and this may not be the thread to ask it - but when have I ever wanted to abide by the rules?

I think we're all clear now on that the rating of the story must be included in the fic title, as well as a short warning. Now, there's only so much room in that title bar - believe me, I know. I had to mess with a title of a posted story, so I could include everything that I was told should be in there.

I'm NOT trying to cause trouble here, truly. But I still don't get why a warning needs to go in the title. Again, I'd like to reiterate that we are all adults here and if authors are required to put appropriate warnings at the beginning of the fic, that should be enough. I like Phoenix's example; she put in a clearly visible warning at the beginning of the fic, but I feel strongly that a rating in the title should be sufficient. But - if it's going to be a requirement to post fic here, then I shall do it. I just want point out that we're limited in space in the title bar.

Another question I'd like to ask is about pairings. When I began moving fic into my offices last night, Lucky PM'ed me immediately after I put up "The Proposal". She asked me to put the rating in (a "DUH" moment for me - I completely forgot to add that), and she also mentioned I should consider putting in a pairing in the fic title. Is this going to be required? The only reason I ask is that GuardianAngel also was posting fic around the same time and she received no such request.

Again, if this is going to be a requirement, no worries. I just thing we shouldn't remove ALL the mystery of a fic!

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Rating in title - yes please

Other warning in title - not required (I've only done that once myself with a story I was particularly concerned about)

Pairing in title - I'll leave Lucky to come back to you as she raised it. (I've started doing that recently but it isn't in the guidelines anywhere so I would have gone with optional....)

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

My thought is, pairing is completely optional. I'd say, especially if you're trying to pull a surprise.

And I'm totally on board with Phoenix's suggestion of warning being more in the author's note at the beginning of the story...if needed.

I think the only requirement for the title line is the rating. And if we've missed anyone, we're working on getting it taken care of. At the rate fic is going up, here, there's bound to be a few that escape notice at first.

Valid questions, PNW, and I hope we've addressed them.

Lucky
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

Got it.

Just making sure the rules are clear in my head and I'm not crossing any lines.

And let me just add that it is SO REFRESHING to be able to ask questions and get straight answers, even when I think I'm being difficult.

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

You're not being difficult, PNWgal.

Rating in title line ~ mandatory.

Warning in title line ~ preferred if there is room AND the the warning is a strong one. However, a clear and concise warning below the disclaimer is sufficient.

Pairing in title line ~ purely at the discretion of the author. However, any slash story must be clearly marked as such, regardless of rating.

And I'm well aware that Red & Lucky already answered all the questions ... but people have been saying they've forgotten what I look like :lol: so I thought I'd add my two cents worth. :D
Beautiful tag courtesy of SirenSong.
Image My fanfic index. My banner art.

Each player must accept the cards life deals him. But once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game. Voltaire.
wollstonecraft61
Rogue vampire

Post by wollstonecraft61 »

Catmoon wrote:I always assumed a lot of writers used the "nookie" alerts to signify that the piece was actually a PWP (no plot at all, just sex). Those seemed to get the most comments and views. :? I actually liked it for a warning -- when I saw that I immediately... didn't even open the story! :lol: No offense to those who like to read PWP's, I just prefer a plot in my reading. Most of my stories are NC-17 as well, but sex is just a small part of what goes on. Recent discussions about ratings have also led to the discovery that some people think NC17 automatically means PWP. Just an FYI, it doesn't.
Amen, sister! I thought I was the only one who felt that way! If I see "Nookie Alert," most of the time, it's deleted. I'm with you, Cat. Give me plot and mystery any time and every time!
Banner by the beautiful Alyssa Banner by the EXTREMELY talented eris
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

wollstonecraft61 wrote:
Catmoon wrote:I always assumed a lot of writers used the "nookie" alerts to signify that the piece was actually a PWP (no plot at all, just sex). Those seemed to get the most comments and views. :? I actually liked it for a warning -- when I saw that I immediately... didn't even open the story! :lol: No offense to those who like to read PWP's, I just prefer a plot in my reading. Most of my stories are NC-17 as well, but sex is just a small part of what goes on. Recent discussions about ratings have also led to the discovery that some people think NC17 automatically means PWP. Just an FYI, it doesn't.
Amen, sister! I thought I was the only one who felt that way! If I see "Nookie Alert," most of the time, it's deleted. I'm with you, Cat. Give me plot and mystery any time and every time!
Ah, yes. I've never actually read a story with the words "nookie alert" in the title. :? Personally, I find it off-putting.
Beautiful tag courtesy of SirenSong.
Image My fanfic index. My banner art.

Each player must accept the cards life deals him. But once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game. Voltaire.
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

I was guilty of thinking NC17 was PWP until the Moonlight fandom. I guess because most other stories I read were rated R even though same level as most NC17 I've seen here. I can read PWP but only if I'm really in the mood for it and it's a pairing I adore not just like. I didn't read many nookie alert stories, for the most part I like my stories with a side of sex.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Well, there's nothing inherently wrong with PWP...as long as one can manage to keep it in character.

Lucky
moonlight_vixen
Courtesan

Post by moonlight_vixen »

This is refreshing, as well as interesting, to know! My current multi-chapter story is heavy on plot and minor on sex. If I've spoken to people about it I get a half/half response. They're either all excited for the plot of the story, or all excited for the smut. For a while I was confused, like "Oh, boy, what do the readers want more of, sex or plot? Hmmm." :lol: Finally I just thought to heck with it because I'm following the muse!

Not that I'm not currently writing some heavy smut, but.... :roll: ;)
Banner And Avatar By Me
______________________________________________________________________________________
Proud Josef Exclusive+
Proud Co-Founder Of Maroon-A-Holics
THINK KOSTAN!
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

librarian_7 wrote:Well, there's nothing inherently wrong with PWP...as long as one can manage to keep it in character.

Lucky

Agreed, Lucky. I just went through one where Mick was so off-character it was laughable and appalling. Wanna write PWP, fine...hell, I've written some myself - but let's keep our boys and girls within the realm of reality, please.

redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

PNWgal wrote:
librarian_7 wrote:Well, there's nothing inherently wrong with PWP...as long as one can manage to keep it in character.

Lucky

Agreed, Lucky. I just went through one where Mick was so off-character it was laughable and appalling. Wanna write PWP, fine...hell, I've written some myself - but let's keep our boys and girls within the realm of reality, please.
God, I agree. With bells on. I like good smut (and try to write it from time to time too) but once the characterisation goes out the window, I give up completely.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

Hear, hear, PNW.
You know how much I agree with you on this.
Last edited by redwinter101 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to fix quotes
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

Fleur de Lisa wrote: Hear, hear, PNW.
You know how much I agree with you on this.

Oh yes, Lisa - I know! ;-)

GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

I'm going to jump in here and agree as well. I think that there is some room to play in reference to how relationships would work. For example, once Mick and Beth become intimate I think they would act a little differently towards each other. There would be less hesitancy, hopefull more aggression. At least I like to think so. But they would not become different people. There are still some basic personality traits that wouldn't change. The ones that make them who they are. If they go out the window, the characters only have a name in common. Instead of being sexy, the fic becomes a flop for me.

Return to “The Library”