Sleeping Beauty -- "missing" scene: Josef and John Whitley

PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Re: Sleeping Beauty -- "missing" scene: Josef and John Whitley

Post by PNWgal »

NocturneInCMoll wrote:It's a real shame this scene got lost. I think it would have added so much to the episode and to the show overall, especially in terms of Josef's character (he was underused and underexplored). I think it almost fitting that he was talking to a dead man and knew it.

It makes me sad for what the show could have been if it had gotten its act together.

Agreed, Julie - this would have been a wonderful way to cement that Josef was a complex and multi-faceted character.

I would have LOVED to see this scene - Jason would have rocked it.

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by NocturneInCMoll »

Lilly's fleshed-out version (with Whitley still alive) is fantastic, too.
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

If anybody going to the London convention could ask Jason Dohring whether this scene was ever shot, that would be greatly appreciated. If it wasn't, was there a reason why?

ITA with all above. The scene would have been a great addition to the episode.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

DSR - I was thinking the same think about asking Jason. It's been driving me nuts that I had him sign the script and I didn't even know the scene was there to ask him about it. :slaphead:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Lilly,

It will be interesting to hear what the story is behind the deleted scene and what Jason's own feeling about it were....
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
greenleaf9
Rogue vampire

Post by greenleaf9 »

What a powerful scene...would have loved to see this in the episode...(or your scene Lilly! Both are excellent. :rose: )

I also like that Whitley is already dead...it's another layer for Josef...he broke my heart so many times in "Sleeping Beauty." Such a rich, complex, fascinating character. I so wish he had been explored more on the show. :yes:
Banner created by the lovely RedNightBird.

"...The moon's an arrant thief, and her pale fire fire she snatches from the sun..." ~William Shakespeare

Better Safe Than Staked.
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

What a d#@n shame this didn't make it to the screen. I think that his speech, knowing that Whitley is dead, speaks to Josef's need for absolution. He's carried the guilt for so long, felt himself to be a monster for 'killing' the one he loved, for so long - he needed her father to know that he loved her, to change his mind about Josef even a little bit, may have gone somewhere to lessening the suffering Josef himself feels at her situation. The fact that Whitley is dead is incredibly poignant, because now, I believe this leaves Josef with an eternal stain on his conscience, one there is no release from for him.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Luxe, I agree... the poignancy of the scene lies, for me, in the fact that Josef never has a chance to erase his guilt over having failed Sarah. He'd have to know that Whitley was dead...so his words are to himself. He's trying to convince himself. I can almost see Jason doing this scene...and I'd have loved to see it. I agree that it should have been the final scene, a perfect way to draw the episode closed.

But I have to agree with grace that Lilly's story is even better. :rose:
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

Lilly, is your version of the scene still kicking around somewhere? (I can't find it...) :sigh:

I would have loved to see that scene in the ep. Jason would have been brilliant.
Beautiful tag courtesy of SirenSong.
Image My fanfic index. My banner art.

Each player must accept the cards life deals him. But once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game. Voltaire.
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Phoenix wrote:Lilly, is your version of the scene still kicking around somewhere? (I can't find it...) :sigh:

I would have loved to see that scene in the ep. Jason would have been brilliant.
It's here, Phee -- Closure

:blushing:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

Thanks, Lilly. :smooch: I read it, and left a comment - of sorts. :?
Beautiful tag courtesy of SirenSong.
Image My fanfic index. My banner art.

Each player must accept the cards life deals him. But once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game. Voltaire.
Kade1301
Kostan Industries intern

Post by Kade1301 »

When I watched the episode recently it occurred to me that the end was missing - Whitley would still be wanting revenge and just hire another hit man. So they really should have included the Josef/Whitley scene - it would have tied up the loose ends!

And now I'm wondering how many other plot holes are not the writer's fault at all but were created during filming/editing... And how many goodies there are around to be included on a future collector's DVD set with bonus material... A girl can dream, can't she?

Return to “Episode Discussion”