All About Mick #13

Locked Mick St. John threads can be found here
SirenSong
Logan's WoW nemesis

Re: All About Mick #13

Post by SirenSong »

Thanks ladies! And a couple more before I drift off to bed here in a bit. Some classics.

mwj01
Courtesan

Post by mwj01 »

Saved me a trip to PB too SS! Awesome pics as always! I'm feeling nostalgic for 'interview' Mick now so I may go fetch one.

I really can't add more to what's been said already here. I never would have become taken with Mick were it not for Alex's portrayal. I hardly watch any TV but Moonlight was different and for me that was because of Alex and everything he put into Mick. Of course, he's so much more than the pretty but he surely is that too, and one of the many things I appreciate and admire about him. I never would have joined a forum to discuss just some hot guy, much less be hanging around if the entire package weren’t captivating. I love his beautiful heart and soul more than anything else really. But loving the way he fills out his henleys ranks high on the list too!

ETA: Interview Mick. :happysigh:

"Damn this man and his eternal hotness!" -SirenSong
MoonMarg
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by MoonMarg »

This is such an interesting topic and I've really enjoyed everyone's views. When I channell surfed and came across OOTP (midway through) I was immediately drawn to Mick - the character. I had no idea he was a vampire until the end of the ep and while I thought he was cute, I didn't find him drop-dead gorgeous. I can't really explain it but within 30 min I felt like Mick was the most amazing character I had seen - and it wasn't for his looks. Now I find him totally gorgeous - I could look at pictures of him all day and listen to his dreamy voice - Mick that is. I find Alex very, very different. When I look at Alex - I don't see Mick at all. I find him cute but not gorgeous like Mick. (Sorry - don't throw tomatoes). However because Mick ceased to exist I had no choice but to let him go and concentrate on Alex. Because of how he portrayed Mick, I have now been drawn to Alex and will forever be a fan. i couldn't imagine any other actor playing Mick and I don't think I would have been drawn to him if it wasn't Alex. So on this thread when I'm drooling over pictures of Mick's anatomy - I'm definately looking at Mick (a fictional character), not Alex's body (that sounds quite creepy, doesn't it??)
Moonlighter
Rogue vampire
Location: Found my nice soft place, snuggled up next to Mick in th-this fr-fr-frigid fr-fr-freezer...

Post by Moonlighter »

Oh my goodness! What a discussion! Well, I'm not gonna lie -- I saw the commercials for Moonlight in late summer '07 and all I could think was "Who is this hot guy? And he's a what? A vampire?" I was never into vampire stuff before ML, but I tuned in and I'm glad I did because I was treated to the discovery of one of the most talented actors I've ever had the privilege to watch. So my initial attraction was instrumental to me finding Mick, Jack, Michael, Will, Marshall, Kevin, and Marcus, and soon Vincent and hopefully Andy for the long term, and most importantly finding an actor like Alex that I can follow for looks AND talent at an unmatched level. I will continue to drool over his looks and marvel at his talent proudly for years to come.
:heart:
Banner courtesy of the wonderfully talented, Moderator Most Awesome, soon-to-be-missed Phoenix!
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

As a matter of interest, in Oz, there were no promo shots of Mick to lure viewers in. There were a few references to a new vampire show - and like PNWgal, it was the word vampire that caught my attention.

Please pardon me for mixing apples and oranges, (since this is the Mick thread, not the Alex thread), but this is where the conversation is going on. Alex was on TV here in commercials and in the Mary Bryant mini-series. He was never considered particularly hot. *shrugs* Alex is an Aussie guy - a very different species to American guys - and I'd bet good money that he's not overly conscious of his looks. He probably wasn't considered to be particularly special in the looks department when he was growing up. Men as physically attractive as Alex aren't all that rare here; it is his personality / soul that sets him apart from the average guy here.
Beautiful tag courtesy of SirenSong.
Image My fanfic index. My banner art.

Each player must accept the cards life deals him. But once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game. Voltaire.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Oy! SS! That Fever pic in b/w is amazing!!!! That truly could win a photo contest... the lines, the everything... really nice!
mwj01 wrote:I hardly watch any TV but Moonlight was different and for me that was because of Alex and everything he put into Mick. Of course, he's so much more than the pretty but he surely is that too
Sister M! I so totally agree with you! As i said... he's a whole package, including the voice... or else we'd all be out working the spring garden rather than hanging out here! Cause I also don't watch a whole lot else on tv... tho I will be checking out that silly Regis and Kelly Lee this morning...
MoonMarg wrote:Because of how he portrayed Mick, I have now been drawn to Alex and will forever be a fan.
I channel surfed into the show too... tho much later than you...so I'm jealous you found it sooner! Tho I think I've made up for lost time :biggrin: ... and no tomatoes if you think Mick's cuter... I think they're both gorgeous but we all got opinions on that... no worries!!
Moonlighter wrote:So my initial attraction was instrumental to me finding Mick, Jack, Michael, Will, Marshall, Kevin, and Marcus, and soon Vincent and hopefully Andy for the long term, and most importantly finding an actor like Alex that I can follow for looks AND talent at an unmatched level.
Yeah... no one went off to find Feed just to stare at the pretty... and SO hoping Andy's long term... :fingerscrossed:
Phoenix wrote:He was never considered particularly hot. *shrugs* Alex is an Aussie guy - a very different species to American guys - and I'd bet good money that he's not overly conscious of his looks. He probably wasn't considered to be particularly special in the looks department when he was growing up. Men as physically attractive as Alex aren't all that rare here; it is his personality / soul that sets him apart from the average guy here.
:snicker: You DO know we're all gonna show up on your doorstep one day... with binoculars and magnifying glasses and telefoto lens cameras and LOTS of sunscreen... tho that last line scares me a little... are many Aussie guys jerks??? Tho I would certainly say when you look at Alex's interviews, he does seem like a nice guy and that's not always the case with actors... who often DO seem a little too impressed with themselves... But if Alex didn't know he was good looking... trust me, he does now. H'wood made sure he knew his "casting type."
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
lunalux
Fledgling

Post by lunalux »

Phoenix wrote:As a matter of interest, in Oz, there were no promo shots of Mick to lure viewers in. There were a few references to a new vampire show - and like PNWgal, it was the word vampire that caught my attention.

Please pardon me for mixing apples and oranges, (since this is the Mick thread, not the Alex thread), but this is where the conversation is going on. Alex was on TV here in commercials and in the Mary Bryant mini-series. He was never considered particularly hot. *shrugs* Alex is an Aussie guy - a very different species to American guys - and I'd bet good money that he's not overly conscious of his looks. He probably wasn't considered to be particularly special in the looks department when he was growing up. Men as physically attractive as Alex aren't all that rare here; it is his personality / soul that sets him apart from the average guy here.
Okay, Phee. I'm looking up Qantas' number right now and I'll let you know what flight I'll be on. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, I remember an interview where when asked about the role of Mick, he said something to the effect of, "I know this guy, I knew I could play him." so to a large extent I think that a large part of Mick's allure came from within Alex and it makes sense if you think, as I do, that he is a method actor. As a result, I do think the line between Mick and Alex is blurred, because he drew on something within him that isn't typically shown to the world. Could he have played Mick without "knowing him" within the context of the method? Sure, but I can't help but think it would have been a different performance.

As for finding Moonlight, I remember my boyfriend pointing out a promo before it premiered and I dismissed it with, "Great, another vampire show." and I remember seeing Alex as Mick and not being really struck by him at all. Then on a Friday night in February, I was home alone, engrossed in something, probably an online tournament of Texas Hold'em, when Ghost Whisperer finished and I just didn't change the channel. It was Dr. Feelgood, and the 30 second interchange between Beth and Mick at his door was enough to get me hooked. I watched the episode and went to Amazon Unbox and downloaded all 12 episodes and watched them in one sitting. And here I am, a year later. And I have to say that for me, it's always been about Mick rather than Alex.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Wow! Luna!! You didn't find it until February?????
You continue to amaze!

But isn't it interesting how many of us channel surfed into it... often in the middle of an ep... and never changed the channel again and never missed another ep and downloaded all those we missed from Unbox? I wonder how many shows have this kind of affect... :cloud9:

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

It certainly says a lot about Alex's ability to inhabit the character of Mick, that we all fell in love with him more and more as time went on. He became more attractive and appealing to me, the more I watched the episodes. Now I am just a goner.
darlingcat
Courtesan

Post by darlingcat »

Do you remember the excitement the day this clip was released?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_3jGFW1qqc
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Oh Squee, DC! That was a fun promo... the LOOKS on his face...

And the best part is that little, Did you miss me? at the beginning!

Thanks for the happy-trip, honey!

Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

Yeah, I remember that "Did you Miss me"

I think my neighbors still remember the response I gave.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Fleur de Lisa wrote:Yeah, I remember that "Did you Miss me"

I think my neighbors still remember the response I gave.

I can juuuuust imagine... :giggle:

Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

wpgrace wrote:
Phoenix wrote:He was never considered particularly hot. *shrugs* Alex is an Aussie guy - a very different species to American guys - and I'd bet good money that he's not overly conscious of his looks. He probably wasn't considered to be particularly special in the looks department when he was growing up. Men as physically attractive as Alex aren't all that rare here; it is his personality / soul that sets him apart from the average guy here.
:snicker: You DO know we're all gonna show up on your doorstep one day... with binoculars and magnifying glasses and telefoto lens cameras and LOTS of sunscreen... tho that last line scares me a little... are many Aussie guys jerks??? Tho I would certainly say when you look at Alex's interviews, he does seem like a nice guy and that's not always the case with actors... who often DO seem a little too impressed with themselves... But if Alex didn't know he was good looking... trust me, he does now. H'wood made sure he knew his "casting type."
Just give me 24 hrs notice, so I can leave- *ahem* I mean, tidy the house before you all arrive.

And Grace, if I respond to your query about Aussie guys being jerks, I could get into serious trouble. :whistle:
lunalux wrote:
Phoenix wrote:As a matter of interest, in Oz, there were no promo shots of Mick to lure viewers in. There were a few references to a new vampire show - and like PNWgal, it was the word vampire that caught my attention.

Okay, Phee. I'm looking up Qantas' number right now and I'll let you know what flight I'll be on. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Uh, OK, LL. But you'll have to excuse the mess as I'm reorganizing / redecorating right now. :juggle:
Beautiful tag courtesy of SirenSong.
Image My fanfic index. My banner art.

Each player must accept the cards life deals him. But once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game. Voltaire.
Moonlightsonata
Rogue vampire

Post by Moonlightsonata »

I remember like it was yesterday not a year ago. But I also remember that the promo didn't appear on nearly enough shows. It was on Ghost Whisperer and not sure what else. Sorry CBS, while others can share in the blame as well, Moonlight wasn't promoted enough by a long shot and for that, I am still not watching shows on CBS that I used to watch. Some but not all.
Thank you Coco for the lovely banner.

Return to “The Mick St. John Archives”