I Know Who You Could Be - (song from Click)

allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Re: I Know Who You Could Be - (song from Click)

Post by allegrita »

Shadow, even in the earlier days of your videomaking you were such an artist! Your films always tell stories, and this one is so wonderful! I love the way you use the vehicle of Coraline's photographic stalking of Mick and Beth (which, by the way, is ironically reminiscent of Mick's photographic stalking of Beth as she grew up, and also tied in with the amazingly destructive photographers of Click, the paparazzi) to push the story along, but the video is about much more than Mick's relationship with Coraline.

How brilliant of you to use the fact that Coraline's photographs are all stills from scenes we saw on the show. They work perfectly together, each scene-to-picture building tension through the whole first part of the video. . And in addition to the scenes used for the photos, the other scenes you chose perfectly illustrate the lyrics of the song. Coraline's obsession with Mick, the way she courted him so ruthlessly and worked so hard to keep his love by kidnapping Beth, and then her modern assault on his defenses again, are brought to such powerful life in this video. And, as well, the growing relationship between Mick and Beth, and Beth's rage at Coraline for the way she was so brutally kidnapped, a pawn in Coraline's scheme... but also the first move in a game that lasted more than 20 years.
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

allegrita wrote:Shadow, even in the earlier days of your videomaking you were such an artist! Your films always tell stories, and this one is so wonderful! I love the way you use the vehicle of Coraline's photographic stalking of Mick and Beth (which, by the way, is ironically reminiscent of Mick's photographic stalking of Beth as she grew up, and also tied in with the amazingly destructive photographers of Click, the paparazzi) to push the story along, but the video is about much more than Mick's relationship with Coraline.

How brilliant of you to use the fact that Coraline's photographs are all stills from scenes we saw on the show. They work perfectly together, each scene-to-picture building tension through the whole first part of the video. . And in addition to the scenes used for the photos, the other scenes you chose perfectly illustrate the lyrics of the song. Coraline's obsession with Mick, the way she courted him so ruthlessly and worked so hard to keep his love by kidnapping Beth, and then her modern assault on his defenses again, are brought to such powerful life in this video. And, as well, the growing relationship between Mick and Beth, and Beth's rage at Coraline for the way she was so brutally kidnapped, a pawn in Coraline's scheme... but also the first move in a game that lasted more than 20 years.
(Alle is more eloquent....but I wanted to second everything Alle has said) The video gives me chills every time I replay it! <GREAT chills>
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

cassysj wrote:This video is fantastic. I love the clips with the photos. It is really a perfectly edited video.
:hyper2: Thanks so much, cassy! This was my very favorite idea/set-up for a video, and it's wonderful to see it get bumped up again!
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

Lucy wrote:
Could you be sure and safe from harm
In my dead arms?
I have to wonder if they didn't almost WRITE that song for the show? How uncanny they lyrics were so DEAD ON....

Wow, artistry, pure artistry!
Lucy, you've quoted my favorite line from the song . . . :heart: It fits Moonlight so perfectly!

At the time I wondered the same thing, and I even went and looked it up to see if it had been written for the show. :laugh: It sure seemed like it could have been. What I remember is that when they found this song, they were originally just going to use part of it for the show, but then they realized how well all of it could fit, and actually edited the show a bit to match the timing of the song. My favorite thing about it was that they used one song to background three such very different scenes -- and it was so, so effective in all of them.
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

jen wrote:In this one, I was struck with how Coraline appeared in flashbacks, and we see her very negatively in those scenes. She was the villain on the prowl, out to victimize poor Mick and kidnap Baby Beth, but then as Morgan we saw someone who had adopted the styles and blended in seemlessly with the modern world--much like Josef and Mick have done.

Beth has grown up while everyone else has mainly adopted new mannerisms. I believe Mick doesn't want to be a monster any longer, though there is still darkness in him that he struggles to control.
Jenna, that's such an interesting observation about Beth! I never really thought about it, but that's totally true. And I'm glad you saw the villain on the prowl in Coraline here! I wanted to make her a very frightening figure in this vid.
Thanks so much!
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

allegrita wrote:How brilliant of you to use the fact that Coraline's photographs are all stills from scenes we saw on the show.
:blushing: You would not believe how excited I got when I realized those photos were actually screencaps. I think I bounced off the ceiling, realizing how that could work. It had taken me months to work out the story, and then it suddenly all came together.
allegrita wrote:Your films always tell stories, and this one is so wonderful!
I love that you always see the stories in them, Alle. :happysigh:
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

Lucy wrote:The video gives me chills every time I replay it! <GREAT chills>
:cloud9: Chilling was exactly what I was after. Thanks so much, Lucy!
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

obsolete link deleted
Last edited by Shadow on Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

I've gone on a Shadow video binge. :teeth: This video is so brilliant. :clapping: :clapping: I loved the song from the first time I heard it on the show, but you've created an amazing story out of it! You've let Coraline's own photos show how scary she was, even as Morgan. She was relentless in her pursuit of Mick, and even though I truly believe she loved him, and sacrificed herself for him in the end, that doesn't mitigate the fact that she was ruthless and brutal, and damn frightening. "I've got a vision and a whole philosophy of how things ought to be." She sure did! :chair:

Watching this video, I would be willing to swear that this song was written for Coraline. :notworthy:
Moonlightsonata
Rogue vampire

Post by Moonlightsonata »

I tried using the link and couldn't get on. Took too long. Is there a new link?
Thank you Coco for the lovely banner.
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

It's so great that you came back by here, Alle! I love the line you quoted, and it's so very Coraline. I agree with you, it really does seem that this song was written for Coraline, or at the very least for Moonlight! When I first heard it on ML I thought that the song must have written for the show, and was really surprised to learn that it had not been. It fits so amazingly well. Whoever picked it did a great job.

Hi Moonlightsonata! It depends on which link you tried ... the Youtube link works fine, but if you tried the Rapidshare download link that used to be up here, it was obsolete. I've removed the nonworking links from this thread, and if you try the Youtube link in the first post, it should work for you.
Moonlightsonata
Rogue vampire

Post by Moonlightsonata »

Thank you. I Youtube link worked.
Thank you Coco for the lovely banner.

Return to “Shadow's Fan Vids”