Cleaner

Re: Admin/Mod travels in August/early September

Post by kath40 »

WOW! What a spectacular shot Lilly! :flowers:
jmc
Rogue vampire

Post by jmc »

That must be what they mean when they talk about wide open spaces. And you got a National Geographic worthy shot of it!

. . . Love is strong as death . . . - Song of Solomon 8: 6
"fiercely faithful"

My beautiful MickBeth avatar by Twilightdew. My beautiful banner courtesy of the very talented Phoenix.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Mr. A. and I are in Independence, Oregon, on a gorgeous, sunny morning. We're in a lovely park by the river, with a perfect view. The eclipse is just beginning (there's a tiny "bite" out of the sun's disk), and totality will begin in a little more than an hour! :hyper2:
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

allegrita wrote:Mr. A. and I are in Independence, Oregon, on a gorgeous, sunny morning. We're in a lovely park by the river, with a perfect view. The eclipse is just beginning (there's a tiny "bite" out of the sun's disk), and totality will begin in a little more than an hour! :hyper2:
You're so lucky. While NYC is not in the totality zone I still can't look because I couldn't get glasses. Enjoy!!
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

I made a pinhole camera out of cereal box and it worked quite well. Our neighbors had glasses and they shared with us, so it was impressive to see it with the glasses. We had 80% totality here. It didn't get as dark as I expected; "dim daylight" was how one friend described it. But it did get noticeably cooler.
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
jmc
Rogue vampire

Post by jmc »

My sister made a pinhole camera with a smaller box but it didn't work too well. She does have a big magnolia tree in front of her house and it worked like a huge pinhole camera. The sunlight dappled through the leaves and made crescent shapes all over the porch. It looked like the pattern you see on Oriental rugs. The crescents started out fat and got thinner as we neared maximum. Then they got fat again afterwards. It was really amazing.
Bella, the elderly Great Dane, would have slept peacefully through the whole thing if those silly humans hadn't kept stepping over her to go stand in the driveway and look into the empty cracker box every few minutes. :dog:

. . . Love is strong as death . . . - Song of Solomon 8: 6
"fiercely faithful"

My beautiful MickBeth avatar by Twilightdew. My beautiful banner courtesy of the very talented Phoenix.
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

Wherever you go, go in safety and a wonderful sense of adventure.

We will try not to make Daddy mad like Josef did in Sleeping Beauty. For sure. Really. I mean it.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Here's a very cool YouTube video of the eclipse as seen from eastern Oregon. The guy who made the video has a really fascinating Facebook page called Veritasium, all about cool science stuff. I highly recommend it. And, as you can see in this video, he's just as awed by the beauty and amazingness of the eclipse as the rest of us, even though he understands the science and has fancy equipment and everything. I kinda lurve him for that. :hearts: https://youtu.be/G10m2ZZRH4U
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

That was a cool video, Alle! Thanks for the link! :twothumbs:

We were at 80% totality this time. I looked up the solar eclipse for 2024. (Which, BTW, will be Monday, April 8, 2024.) Our town will be at 99.74% totality. I guess we will make the short drive to see it in total. It's all those traffic jam stories I'm hearing about (and not just yours, Alle) getting back home! :mdrama:
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

It will be worth it, I promise! The moment of totality is absolutely awe-inspiring. :thud:
kath40
Cleaner

Post by kath40 »

That video was breathtaking thank you Ally. It's so awesome you got to see 100% totality. The next eclipse in 2024 will be much farther south. So it may not be an option for me to travel to see it do to my MS 7 years from now.
However this years 93% here in Denver was still an awesome experience with my co-workers at LOWES taking a few minutes to pop outside and stare at the sun...with glasses of course. :snicker:
Spoiler:
The plain clothed people in the shots were customers that we shared glasses with. The bald guy in the middle is our maniger....So if he was out there then so were we...in shifts...the phone still had to be answered. Image

Yep, That's me with the cane, with my solar glasses, looking at a Cheshire Cat like solar crescent in the sky.

ImageImage

Here are some fantastic shots Christine Joey Teale aka Fever/Gabbi posted on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

This is the closest representation of what the 93% Eclipse looked like for me with my glasses. Thank you Gabbi. :hugs:

Moonlightsonata
Rogue vampire

Post by Moonlightsonata »

Thank you for posting that link Alle. It was great.
Thank you Coco for the lovely banner.

Return to “Forum Announcements Archive”