Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 15: What's Left Behind

jen
Cleaner

Re: Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 15: What's Left Behind

Post by jen »

Fabulous reminder, Alle. Thanks! Blue has such wonderful vision. I need to reread those fabulous fics.

Thanks

Jenna
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
r1015bill
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by r1015bill »

Seems appropriate to add this photo here in case anyone is looking for specifics about the episode. (Hope no one minds - particularly francis since I used her picture.)

More discussion about this cut scene can start here

http://www.moonlightaholics.com/viewtop ... &start=315
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

No, I don't mind. I thought about adding it into the discussion thread but ran out of time and forgot. Thank you! :kiss:
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

What a great idea, thank you! :hug: And for completeness, here is the link to the interview with Justice Leak (Ray), where he discussed the missing scene.
http://moonlightaholics.com/viewtopic.php?f=365&t=8759
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

The more I look at this image, the more I appreciate just how much Alex conveyed with facial expression and body language.

He's just had someone very precious taken away, although someone equally precious has been returned. He's lost Lilah and whatever future he thought they might have, but he also conveys the notion of guilt - of taking what belonged to Ray.

I really, really wished they had let that scene in.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
r1015bill
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by r1015bill »

dsr

I think the guilt is more than that. He was supposed to keep an eye on Ray... he said he'd be there for him. He essentially promised Lilah.

Very clearly he failed in that. He left a man behind. (Wow - double meaning of the episode title? I always thought it had to do with Ray's progeny)

I can imagine that he's thinking that Lilah will be angry with him - that Mick left Ray behind on purpose and tricked her into loving him. That's in addition to however Ray feels. Since Mick has shown every sign of assuming the worst, I gotta believe he would do the same here.

No wonder he stayed away from them. He couldn't handle what he thought would be their judgement.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

I think that title had several possible meanings...Mick had left Ray behind (although not intentionally!). He left Lilah and Ray behind after Ray returned. He had left behind family, when he became a vamp. The possible son could have been what he left behind with Lilah. The possibility of (biological) family, that was behind him. You could even stretch it to think about the psychological aftereffects Beth has from being kidnapped as a child,"what's left behind" in her mind as a result of that experience.

And so on! It's a really versatile title, isn't it?
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Rhonda, Lucky - what wonderful insights! I,too had thought the title to refer to Robert, but I see now it could mean so much more!
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

..... :heart: ........thinking of the deleted scene, Mick with the roses.

Would that have been a dead give-away to Lilah & Mick's relationship?

Who brings roses to a friend's wife? That could have been a pain meeting in more ways than one.....
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

Lucky, I so agree about the title! It's one of those brilliant multi-layered titles that speaks to so many different facets of the story.

Rhonda, that's so interesting . . . I had never thought of Lilah being angry with Mick for inadvertantly leaving Ray behind, but of course that's a possibility, and certainly one that Mick might have thought of, especially considering his promise to Lilah to look after Ray. I'm reminded of the way he spoke to Beth about what had happened in the harshest possible terms, telling her that he'd left his best friend to die and had stolen his wife. Too harsh for what really happened, but those were Mick's words. Also there's the fact that although Mick has a history of watching the people he loved from the shadows, he apparently did not do so with Lilah and Ray . . .he hadn't even known they had had a son.

Lucy, I've wondered just how public Mick and LIlah's relationship was even before he brought her the roses, and whether their relationship actually would have been considered a scandal. Considering everyone thought Ray had been dead for a year, perhaps no one would have thought anything of it. But bringing her roses that way would certainly make it more public than it had been!

dsr, absolutely agree about those emotions playing across MIck's face! Just a few of them that I see:
I've lost the woman I love forever . . .
My best friend is alive!
I've come between them.

and
I came home and I left Ray behind.

Ever since I read allegrita's "Private Lamb" story about what Ray experienced after being wounded, I've wondered about the effect Ray's return had on Mick. Ray was the ultimate missing person. Nobody who loved him even knew he was missing. Mick left him behind without knowing he had. I started wondering if Ray's experience might be the deepest reason why Mick went into P.I. work, and why his special passion is missing-persons cases.. . . :chin:
r1015bill
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by r1015bill »

Shadow wrote: I had never thought of Lilah being angry with Mick for inadvertantly leaving Ray behind, but of course that's a possibility, and certainly one that Mick might have thought of, especially considering his promise to Lilah to look after Ray.
Oh, I agree that she wouldn't have been angry with him. But I do think that Mick would think that - particularly in that moment of the photograph. Since Mick's modus operandi is always to run away (at least until the end of episode 16), he probably never cleared the air with Lilah or Ray.

Oh, I wish we had seen the scene! Did Mick and Lilah's eyes meet for just a second? I'm assuming not since she was probably overwhelmed with Ray's arrival.

I really wish we could have seen Jill's original vision. It seems so much more impactful.
MoonMarg
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by MoonMarg »

Oh , how I wish I knew the person who had a copy of all the scenes that were taped in all the episodes of ML that never made it to our screens. Wouldn't that be awesome viewing? :thumbs:

Return to “Episode Discussion”