Cold and Dark and Deep - PG-13 (Challenge Fic #124)

A place for PNWgal's G to PG-13 stories
BlueEyedMonster
Fledgling

Re: Cold and Dark and Deep - PG-13 (Challenge Fic #124)

Post by BlueEyedMonster »

Just caught this story. So well written and a glimpse into the making of the man we would come to know & love.
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

PNW I never read this but I'm glad in a way because I saw the Queen Mary for the first time in July and it makes it all the more powerful. This is a Mick waaay before Coraline but you can see so much of our Mick

What I find most interesting is as cocky and arrogant as he is this is a time before his innocence is lost. The visions of war always shatters innocence even of professional soldiers entering their first war zone but these young men were literally the boys next door. His next layer of innocence would go when Ray returned because he would feel he betrayed his friend with Lilah. Coraline would betray him and bring him into the supernatural world and a little four year old would rekindle a spark which is why we can see our Mick in this pre-war version.

Wonderful
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

So glad to see this pop back up on Active Topics!

Mick was out of place, seasick, and making the best of a bad situation. He, Ray and a lot of other young men were scared, but going anyway into a harsh reality hoping to survive it.

On this cold night, Mick met another man much like himself and got an assignment that may help him keep his mind off being seasick (we hope).

Wonderfully vivid, the reader feels the cold and a trace of the fear. Beautifully done!!!!

Thank you!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
Marigold
Courtesan

Post by Marigold »

I really enjoyed this look at a previous part of Mick's life. :hearts: You've done a great job of capturing his emotions, and making us feel them as well. The imagery is fantastic -- I felt as if I was right there with Mick and Gibbs on the deck.
PNWgal wrote:Eternal love. He wouldn’t settle for less.
Great use of foreshadowing. :Mickangel:

Thank you, Pgal! :rose:
Fantastic banner by Kath40! Thank you!
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

Oh dear, poor Mick, sick and now on KP! I like the way you made Gibbs - practical and supportive, but still no excuses.
NM911
LIVE WIDE
It ain't canon until they've shot it (and aired it) - I said that.
Trust the Muse. - Catmoon
The system isn't broken, it's fixed. - Billo
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

Thanks, NM! :smooch:

This one's one of my favorite challenges. I love WWII Mick. :cloud9: And I ADORE MS Gibbs!

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

What a perfect title for this story .... and what an amazing story it is. I loved getting the chance to see Mick at this point of his life, just as he is embarking on the first huge transformation of his life, going to war. It's wonderful how his character shines through here, during this transition from carefree boy to a soldier protecting his country. The imagery is so vivid, the sights and smells and the motion of the boat so utterly clear. The other characters are so well depicted, too. Ray's compassion and caring for his friend, Gibbs' gruff encouragement that seems to be just what Mick needs at that time, Mick's so-homesick memories of his parents and sister. And that wonderful moment where Mick is looking at Lilah's picture, and there's so much going on there. This story makes you wonder whether going to war or becoming a vampire was the hugest change in Mick's life.....

I'm sorry to have missed finding this story for all this time, but I'm glad I found it now!
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

And I still get a big old smile on my face when this one comes to the top.

Thank you, Shadow. This truly was a joy to write. :hug:

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Shadow wasn't the only one who missed this over the years. Don't know how I never read this before, Pgal. This was fantastic! I felt I was there on the ship, shivering as I was eavesdropping. You really touched on the emotions of a young man going off to war for the first time. And bittersweet, too, since we know Mick doesn't get the wife, family and home he longs for. :Mickangel:

Wonderfully written, and a great peek into Mick's early life. :hug:

:thanks:
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

I had to bump this great story in honor of Memorial Day. Here's to Mick and MSgt. Gibbs and Ray and Whitey, and all the soldiers and sailors and Marines and Air Force personnel and Coast Guard folks who have served. May their service always be honored and remembered. :heart:
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

Thank you, babe. Truly. :hug: :hug:

Return to “PNWgal's Office”