The Stars Have Fallen [Ch. 1, M/B, PG]

moonsword27
Freelance freshie

The Stars Have Fallen [Ch. 1, M/B, PG]

Post by moonsword27 »

Beth was, well, stunned might be the most accurate description. Not that she didn't have good reason. In less than a handful of months, she'd been attacked by and saved from a psycho serial killer and juggled her prior commitments with a new job. She'd had a friend attacked by a recurrent murderer; she had killed that man herself although she had mostly succeeded in forgetting that. After forcing herself to accept their existence, she had come face to face with real vampires - even helped Mick track down a few. Then there were relationship problems, particularly after she had fed Mick. Lying to Josh had come naturally, she couldn't help but think of Mick and wonder.

One thing she knew for certain was that she wouldn't be forgetting the feeling of 'fang on flesh' anytime soon. Life had settled into a pattern, Beth tried to deal with Josh doubts, unwilling to give up on their relationship. Going to New York with Mick hadn't helped that problem, but seeing Sarah and seeing the love in Josef's eyes gave her a strange feeling of hope. When Josh was kidnapped, Mick had been by her side, and he had done everything humanly possible to save him. Beth was still slowly coming to grips with the fact Josh was gone from her life completely. She knew their relationship was dying, but she couldn't help but wish Josh had not died, not then, not like that. She had watched the light slowly go out of his eyes, begging for Mick to Turn him, to save him. Beth had known Mick would refuse, but she begged just the same. Overwhelmed by her guilt she placed the blame on Mick. Josh was planning on proposing and now he was dead. To make matters worse, Josh had almost dropped the case that killed him, but she had convinced him to stay on it. It was her fault he was gone.

The last time Beth had seen Mick before Josh's funeral, she had started to confide in him only to be interrupted by Coraline with a hug and a thank you. At the funeral, Beth had done her best to forget the closeness between the two, and then Mick was there. Seeing Mick walk up without sunglasses the harsh sunlight highlighting a myriad of cuts and scrapes, she had been so surprised and pleased to see him, it had taken her a few moments to process what that meant.

"Are you human?" she had asked him. Such a strange question, one you wouldn't normally expect to ask, even when you take into account the fact Mick was a vampire, had been one for as long as she had known him, but vampires healed and avoided sunlight, what other explanation was there?

Mick had glanced up into the sun and replied, "For now."

Beth stood outside Mick's door, hesitating for a few minutes before knocking. Mick, who had been watching through the monitor, opened the door saying simply, "Beth." He half smiled at her somewhat bewildered expression, stepping back and motioning for her to come inside.

"How did you know it was me?" Beth asked as he closed the door behind her.

Mick grinned then, walking over to the couch, "Nice to see you too."

Beth followed him, one hand on her hip and facing him adamantly. "You didn't answer my question. You're still...you're still human, right? I mean, your cuts haven't healed."

Lounging comfortably, Mick nodded. "I'm still human, Beth."

Beth glanced at the door, "Then how did you..."

Gesturing to the screen, Mick smiled beatifically, "The wonders of modern technology."

"Oh." Beth shook her head. "I knew that."

The two stared at each other, time slowing down through some trick of its own invention. Mick. looking almost absurdly confident watched her calmly while Beth stood frozen, her eyes focused on some unseen point as if she was personally weeding through the multiple questions racing through her thoughts in an effort to choose only one.
"Care to sit down?" Mick's voice interrupts her reverie. As Beth slowly sits down, he stands his movements as graceful as ever. "Can I get you anything?"

Beth shakes her head, "No, no I'm fine."

Mick shrugs, grabbing a Mountain Dew from the refrigerator and sitting back down.

Beth clasps her hands then pulls them apart nervously then leans forward quickly, asking, "How?"

Mick sets his soda on the table. “How am I human?” he asks, clarifying her question.

Beth stares at Mick as if he’s lost his mind. “Yes, how are you human!? How long will it last? I assume it isn’t permanent. Where did you get it? Where’s Coraline and how does she fit into all of this?”

Mick watches her, keeping his facial expression calm and steady. After a moment, he answers her. “There is a temporary cure, although it is in short supply. Coraline was using it, that’s how she managed to play the part of Morgan. She gave me some to try to settle a debt between us…I guess.” Mick shrugs, indicating there’s no use even trying to understand his ex-wife.

Beth takes this in for a few seconds and forces herself to ask, “Where is she now?”

Mick leans back into his chair. Looking away, he searches his memory for an answer to that question for about the umpteenth time (if you want to be accurate it was the 117th – he’d had plenty of time to think before Beth showed up). “I don’t know.”

“You don’t know.” Beth repeats, lilting her words to make the phrase come off as a question.

“No, I don’t.” Leaning forward, Mick explains, “This guy, Lance, her brother – blood brother, they might not be genetically related – attacked us just after Coraline gave me the cure. She’d stolen the compound that provides the mortal cure from him, and he wasn’t too happy about it.” He pauses for a moment before continuing. “Beth, he could have killed me, and she traded herself in. He staked her, I’d guess he planned to take her back to Europe, wherever the rest of the family lives, probably France.” Mick shakes his head, “I don’t get it.”

Beth stares at the floor, then surprises herself by not asking about Coraline’s family or why France was the most likely option as she had planned, but instead, “You going to try and find her?”

Mick glances up, his expression shocked, “What? No!”

Seeing the questioning look in Beth’s eyes, he continues, “I’m not going to walk into one of her traps again.” Standing up, he informs Beth seriously, “She can handle her own problems.”

“Mick, she saved you!” Beth protests. Wondering to herself why she was defending Coraline, she realizes Because I want answers more than I want her dead Pushing the thought aside, she stares raptly at Mick.

“She killed me too, or did you forget that part?” Mick’s voice hardens and he continues vehemently, “Killed me and worse turned me into something I despise. Now I get a chance.”

He clears his throat and lowers his voice to a softer decibel, meeting Beth’, “I get a chance to be human again. I’m not giving up humanity for her. Not this time.”
Last edited by moonsword27 on Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
jenstc2003
Rogue vampire

Re: The Stars Have Fallen [Ch. 1, PG]

Post by jenstc2003 »

OOH- intriguing! *Buckles seatbelt for the ride that is sure to follow* Lovin' it!!!
Jen

Mick's Synful One
coco
Cleaner

Re: The Stars Have Fallen [Ch. 1, PG]

Post by coco »

Very interesting start :clapping:

I'm intrigued. :D
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
kpyle
Freelance freshie

Re: The Stars Have Fallen [Ch. 1, M/B, PG]

Post by kpyle »

I love this start, and am looking forward to more!!
Thank you Pinkie for my Amazing Banner!
sabazzz
Kostan Industries intern

Post by sabazzz »

I love this! I can't wait to read more of it...and I love that Mick is not sacrificing his humanity this time for Coraline...excellent start!
EbonyQueen
Mortal

Post by EbonyQueen »

This is good, looking forward to more of my favorite couple (hint hint) :giggle:
Queen's Moonlight Obsession
lorig
Fledgling

Post by lorig »

:clapping: Very interesting beginning. Looking forward to more.
Gorgeous banner by PinkiePie
Tag by Mags and coco
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

and this time they are aligning differently than the first time....

Thank-you for #1...Will be waiting patiently for 2
Jo1027
Kostan Industries intern

Post by Jo1027 »

I'm liking this start. Looking forward to more.
maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

That's a first...Beth pushes him to look for Cora and Mick refuses to fall into that trap?? :hearts:
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

a yummy re-read....
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Fabulou start!

Beth (being Beth) sometimes reacts in surprising ways and does so here. You are so right about her inner drive to untie that knot, ferret out the truth and find the answers. It is an intriguing idea that she would be the catalyst for Mick riding off to the rescue. It is also plausible that as much as Coraline presented an entirely different face (no pun intended) in that episode, he had dealt with her for decades and she is nothing if not mecurical and he's been burned a LOT of times (ow, another pun--unintended again, really).

Interested to see where this goes!

Thank you!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

I love this. Beth is asking Mick to go after Coraline while he's human - how much ways of wrong could that go? Will she go with him? Will they succeed? I know you haven't written in some time but I want to tell you this is great.
drbell
Kostan Industries intern

Post by drbell »

Loving this x years, please finish or post rest?! With sugar on top...<3

Return to “Light in the Shadows”