Singing Mick

Tam
Logan's WoW nemesis

Re: Singing Mick

Post by Tam »

:gasp: I never thought about this. At all! Now I can't stop thinking about it...oooo... :melts:

And I can't get 'My Funny Valentine' out of my head... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFcpHjfB ... re=related
It's hard to find a decent version on t00b though!

[wiki link : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Funny_Valentine ]
lynnrxgal
Fledgling

Post by lynnrxgal »

If someone (from the ML fan sites) ever interviewed Alex, this would be a fun question!
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

I'm starting to lean toward a voice like Tony Bennett's, but singing rock and roll. :melts: :melts: :melts:
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

I've been asked to post this video of Jim Bianco (who did the wonderful song, "To Hell With the Devil," that was played in 12:04AM). My friend thinks this is a very Mick-like song... a very Mick/Coraline song. What do you think? I'm not entirely convinced... but I've got to say, Mr. Bianco is certainly wearing Mick-like clothes in the video!

I Got a Thing For You: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f76Y3NzpDsE
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Mick-like clothes is right, up to the belt, but his voice seems too - I don't know - throaty, and his movements too exalted to be Mick's. Mick would try to blend in and would never move that much, and I think his voice would be much more smooth. Like Sinatra, maybe.
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

1. LOVE the song. And I agree -- it's a perfect Mick/Coraline song. *thinks about a video* :chin:

2. This is NOT Mick's voice. :no: It's way too raspy and thin. I really like Jim's voice -- it's just not Mick.

3. His movements were almost painful to watch. :confused2: Completely ruined the effect of the song and the wardrobe.
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

I agree with both of you. Mick's voice would be a rich, velvety baritone with just a hint of gravel when he wanted it--not a throaty, strained-sounding tenor. And the movements were weird. But it's a reeeeally cool song, isn't it?
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

I just bought it on iTunes. :thumbs: And he's got a remix, too, that sounds less retro -- so less 50's party combo -- but very cool as well.
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

I really have to wonder about that outfit. It's almost TOO Mick, you know? Maybe Jim B. is an ML fan!

Lucky
LaughtersMelody
Freelance freshie

Post by LaughtersMelody »

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if Alex actually sings?

I ask because I'm a Supernatural fan, and Jensen Ackles actually does sing in real life (much to the delight of fans, lol :happysigh:). He sings with his friend's band occasionally, and has actually sung a few times at cons, since fans keep asking him to.

Ironically, on Supernatural, Dean usually only sings to annoy Sam, so he's very off-key (big brother's prerogative, lol).

It made me wonder about Alex, though, since we only saw Mick walking away from the mic. :blinksmile:

-Laughter

My Fanfiction Office.

Jesus is Lord.
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

In one interview he said that he has a terrible voice and only sings in the shower. He plays guitar though, he said he wishes he was better, and in "August Rush" he sang with Jonathan Rhys-Myers in a band. Or shouted, whatever. I guess he's just modest. :winky:
LaughtersMelody
Freelance freshie

Post by LaughtersMelody »

Lol! I'm not surprised about the guitar somehow. He looked very comfortable holding a guitar in that flashback, even if Mick's attention was somewhere else at the time. :teeth:

My Fanfiction Office.

Jesus is Lord.
r1015bill
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by r1015bill »

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if Alex actually sings?
Francis is right that Alex downplays any singing he does.

He did, however, sing the theme for Monkey Magic (an Australian kids show) during the July 2007 media thing for Moonlight. Unfortunately, this has never been put online that I know of.

He did play a TV Show Theme Game on his appearance on Rachel Ray promoting TBUP. It's just for fun and unrehearsed but you get an idea. I don't think he sounds like Mick would sound at all. I envision Mick sounding more gravelly and deeper - like Chris Rea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abZlWqVeLzg
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

librarian_7 wrote:
wpgrace wrote:Clapton is a great comparison... :hyper2:
... but also was not a singer in 1952 for Mick to fashion his style after...
Fine, grace, be that way. How about the Velvet Fog, Mel Torme?

Lucky
Who sang the song, "Star Eyes" on the Moonlight series.
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

I'm really surprised to hear that Alex doesn't sing. His voice is so rich, I thought this is one thing that we would have seen bits of in later seasons. Guess not, huh. His voiceovers were one of the jewels of Moonlight. He could play guitar and just talk the words and it would sound fabulous.

I like the smoothness, of Sinatra but the pitch is not quite right. Do you remember a singer named Robert Goulet in the seventies or eighties? May not be right either as Alex's Mickvoice had its own sound.
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix

Return to “Mick St. John”