Moonlight on the CW, Ep 8: 12:04AM

redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Moonlight on the CW, Ep 8: 12:04AM

Post by redwinter101 »

Thank you, ladies. I do have a fair bit of their stuff (and I do have a weakness for a boy named Kelly :snicker: ) but I didn't recognise that song. :thanks:

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

HotMicks wrote:Julie: :snicker: ba-dum-shhhhh!

Yeah, Alle, love Stereophonics too. If you like this, Red, check out their other stuff. "The Bartender & the Thief" is one of my favorite songs by them.They also do that awesome cover of Rod Stewart's "Handbags & Gladrags."
thanks for the song tips...although I have all my ML music I am enjoying the other music from the bands.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

HotMicks wrote:Julie: :snicker: ba-dum-shhhhh!

Yeah, Alle, love Stereophonics too. If you like this, Red, check out their other stuff. "The Bartender & the Thief" is one of my favorite songs by them.They also do that awesome cover of Rod Stewart's "Handbags & Gladrags."
I've been happily listening to Stereophonics songs this evening--thank you, HotMicks! Love your suggestions, and I found a couple faves of my own. I love "Is Yesterday Tomorrow Today"...
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Guess it is still too early to hear what the ratings were for last night, huh?
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

According to TV By the Numbers, the ratings numbers for Thursday night have been delayed. I'll keep looking!
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Missed the discussion last night :hankie: , but I did like this episode for various reasons - Donovan Shepherd was truly a creepy villain. As a human, he caused mayhem. As a vamp, he would have caused even more. He reveled in his condition. He was, in every sense of the word, a monster.

Loved the characterization of Jerry Drake. He was a leach, scoring off people's misery. He'd of made a fortune on Donovan's biopic, but he'd have made even more once Donovan died. What really got me was he shifted from fear to gleeful greed when he realized what Shepherd had become, then paid for it. Have to admit, I almost cheered when Shepherd 'drank' from him.

The other little touch I found cute and incredibly apropos was when Mick went to Drake's house the first time and Drake's assistant ushered him in. As Mick walks in front of her, she does a 'once over' with her eyes, pursing her lips in appreciation.

What I really liked about this ep, though, was the way it advanced the relationship between Mick and Beth. In the beginning, he makes a bit of a gesture, offering to hang out outside her apartment. By the end of the episode, he distances himself. My question is why?

He was already withdrawing from Beth before she confronted him about being her guardian angel. I know he felt ashamed about killing his wife and stalking Beth, but was there some other reason he was withdrawing?
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Thanks, Alle!

I'm so spoiled by seeing them posted here each week and I never say thank you.

So thank you!!

But something that struck me about Donovan Sheppard's character that I never really thought about before is how much of his nature preturning he retained. True, as Darkstarrising pointed out, he was a monster before he was turned. Talk about another person who Mick could have said, 'the last thing this world needs is an immortal you

Could this have something to do with the training about aspects of vampire life that occured prior to his turning? Rather like he knew what to expect and understood it (forewarned is forarmed, that sort of thing). He was still a monster, but a more well informed one.

Jenna

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
diane31
Fledgling

Post by diane31 »

Well I'm not ashamed to admit this is one of my all-time favorites... no shocker seeing my banner, right?! For one thing, it was such a stroke of genius to have a character like Audrey, with whom Beth identifies so well. It made it feel like a pure MickBeth episode, because it allows us to see so much of Beth (both in what Audrey and her have in common, and in what they differ) even through what is supposed to be the procedural aspect. And of course... everything you said Alle!!! :heart: :flowers: :heart: There's all we love about Mick, all we love about Beth, and all we love about MickBeth!!! (and yes I am a total "sucker" for vamped-out Mick, pun-intended lol!!!)
The last scene has always been one of the most emotional for me, right up there with fever... the way they seemed closer to each other than ever for a few brief moments, and then Mick walks away, unbelievably.
darkstarrising wrote:

What I really liked about this ep, though, was the way it advanced the relationship between Mick and Beth. In the beginning, he makes a bit of a gesture, offering to hang out outside her apartment. By the end of the episode, he distances himself. My question is why?

He was already withdrawing from Beth before she confronted him about being her guardian angel. I know he felt ashamed about killing his wife and stalking Beth, but was there some other reason he was withdrawing?
Actually I've been asking myself that too! I mean, when he tells her "Now you know why it can never work", he certainly seems to have one specific thing in mind at that moment, among the host that typically stop him.:Mickangel: And it's got to fit with what Beth is talking about when she says she knows why she was not living in fear. When I first saw the episode, I felt that he was referring to the fact that he watched over her, hence 1) that he saw her grow up, and 2) that he thinks of himself as her Guardian Angel (or that he "stalked" her, but I feel that's just a difference in editing once he knows Beth doesn't see it that way); i.e. in that context, he's ashamed at the prospect of getting intimate with her - never mind the fact he's not even trying to pretend that he's not in love with her at this point. Then again, when he says it, Beth has just shaded him from the sun, so I've sometimes wondered whether he is merely referring to his being a vampire (being protected by a vampire would justify her feeling safe more than by a mere mortal, right?). But that's old news by now, so why would he say "Now you know...". And of course there's the fact he murdered Coraline, or so he thinks, and again that too gives Beth good reasons to have felt safe since she saw it, although she doesn't remember that... but again that's something she didn't just find out since he told her at the end of the previous ep. So I'm still going with my original gut feeling, but... what do you guys think???

Jen wrote:

But something that struck me about Donovan Sheppard's character that I never really thought about before is how much of his nature preturning he retained. True, as Darkstarrising pointed out, he was a monster before he was turned. Talk about another person who Mick could have said, 'the last thing this world needs is an immortal you

Could this have something to do with the training about aspects of vampire life that occurred prior to his turning? Rather like he knew what to expect and understood it (forewarned is forarmed, that sort of thing). He was still a monster, but a more well informed one.
Shepperd's my favorite baddy too. In fact I wish our baddies were less all-bad, but, in that style, he's got the charisma for it, doesn't he? I tend to feel the issue of fore-warned must help with the transition all right... and also that for Sheppard it must have been an easy one because he was a monster before, that the transition involved no real identity crisis for him because of that, i.e. what did he care he suddenly felt like drinking from people, hec he felt like stabbing them before so, same difference to him. Pollock appeared to have changed a lot without the benefit of training though? Then again he may very well have been the arrogant type rather than the caring type before? I've always had the feeling that turning in itself doesn't really affect world-view...?

And since we're talking music... This ep. really has some of my favorites too! The one at the end for the balcony scene, that goes without saying... I love the one they picked for when Drake gets out of the pool, when Sheppard is already waiting for him. It is just such great comic relief... ok before things get messy, but, it makes me laugh every time! And the song that plays while Beth finds her file in Mick's office... wow!!! :notworthy: It is just so perfect for it, the words, how ethereal it is... it is just so expressive of the part she realizes just then that Mick has played in her life, there all along yet invisible, a ghostly, magical presence. I really wonder who picked the songs, in general??? They really did an amazing job. I think that counts a lot towards the emotional intensity of the scenes, probably more than we usually give them credit for. I guess I should check on the credits.

:hearts: :hearts: :heart: :hearts: :hearts:
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

I had posted the ratings here, but I moved them to the main thread where we've been keeping track on a weekly basis: http://moonlightaholics.com/viewtopic.p ... 27#p165927
Last edited by Lilly on Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: moved to main "Moonlight on CW" thread
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

This thread always gives wonderful insight and different perspectives before watching the episodes again. Little details that slipped by unnoticed are highlighted and therefore watched for.

Thanks!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

A quick bump.
NM911
LIVE WIDE
It ain't canon until they've shot it (and aired it) - I said that.
Trust the Muse. - Catmoon
The system isn't broken, it's fixed. - Billo

Return to “Episode Discussion”