Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 5: Arrested Development

allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Re: Arrested Development (Episode Five)

Post by allegrita »

I ADORE the looks on his face during that whole parking lot scene. The grin when he jingles the keys, the "Bye" look, the totally befuddled joy after she kisses him for the second time... ohhhhh maaaaan... :melts: :happysigh:
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

Just so.... :melts: :melts: :melts:

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

That kiss at the end was so meltworthy, just because the whole charm of it but it is also a credit to editing. The way it was cut at that point just enhances it.

Fabulous job!

Just sayin'

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Oh, absolutely. The editing of that scene was masterfully done. :rose:
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

The smile is better than the kiss. It was the moment he came alive. Game on, baby.
NM911
LIVE WIDE
It ain't canon until they've shot it (and aired it) - I said that.
Trust the Muse. - Catmoon
The system isn't broken, it's fixed. - Billo
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 5: Arrested Developmen

Post by cassysj »

I just re-watched this episode and enjoyed it more. I love Josef and Rider when they meet Beth. It looks like Filet Mignon is being brought to them. The kiss and the smile at the end is amazing and the teenage vamp is a tragic character.
MoonMarg
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by MoonMarg »

nutmegger911 wrote:The smile is better than the kiss. It was the moment he came alive. Game on, baby.
What a fabulous description- I love it!!
Shadow
Courtesan

Post by Shadow »

The first time I watched this, what I most remember was how totally jarring the beginning was, after the bittersweet ending of Fever. It was such a bizarre change of tone from one episode to the next, it really left me unsettled. Not that it stopped me from enjoying the episode! It was totally, completely different from what I had imagined what might happen next .... I never once imagined that Mick and Beth's way to resolve what had happened in Fever was going to be ... comedy. It worked great, I have to admit, but it was so unexpected, for me. Hm, I remember finding out that the teen vamp had acne and thinking what?? You've got to be kidding me; vampires can heal from anything besides beheading, yet they can't heal from acne? But it didn't seem like much of an issue, with all the lovely Mick and Beth interaction going on. And I definitely remember how blown away I was at the end, with that incredible, astonishing smile of Mick's. I loved that the episode ended with him being so happy. We'd never seen him like that before.

On re-watch ... I definitely enjoyed it still, but it's the first episode I haven't liked as much on the re-watch. Interestingly, even knowing what was going to happen, I still found the change of tone completely jarring. I enjoyed the episode as I watched it, but I felt let down at the end, thinking, that's it? That's all? The Mick and Beth interactions, the character development, the progression of their relationship, all of that was wonderful, and there were many delightful scenes. But somehow it didn't really feel as if there had been a story behind it. It felt a little like Dr. Feelgood, where there was a situation that should have been fascinating, but just fell flat. A vampire turned as a teenager, back in the 1800s in a bordello, how interesting is that? But the teen vamp wasn't actually interesting at all, and Cherish was such an unsympathetic character, that there just wasn't much there in the main story. It was frustrating, on this re-watch, seeing Mick try to connect with the teen vamp and having that just not work at all story-wise. I found myself wondering what Mick's question Was it the bordello? was all about .... what did he mean by that? But it just got dropped.

On re-watch I also noticed, for the first time, how weird it was that Carl and the police were so inept. It didn't fit with anything that had come before. It was a little hard to believe that the cops hadn't noticed the teen mags and the acne meds. They weren't exactly hidden from human eyesight.

I still enjoyed the flirting scene in the car, where Beth asked about vampire sex, but it struck me as rather odd this time. At this point, the only knowledge Beth had about vampire sex was seeing the body in the morgue, which was apparently such a terrible sight that she barely even took a glance after all she'd done to get in to see it. It's hard to see how she could go from this horrific result of vampire sex straight to being flirty about it .... even when it was Mick she was talking to!

I also saw the Beth/Josef/Ryder scene a bit differently. I thought it was funny the first time, but this time I found it a bit creepy! I think cassy has it right, the vampires were looking at Beth like she was filet mignon....

For pure aesthetics, that hallway scene where Mick and Beth were about to break into the teen vamp's apartment was breathtaking. How in the world did they get that kind of dramatically beautiful lighting on the characters in a hallway??

One thing I liked more on the re-watch: the opening scene, and Mick's voice over about Fate: You can want to avoid someone for their own good, because, say, you drank their blood out in the desert ....Alex's delivery of that line is absolutely priceless. I like that bit almost as much as the smile at the end. The whole theme of fate, especially at the beginning and the end but really all the way through, was a nice touch.

Scorecard so far:
Mick saves Beth--II
Beth saves Mick--III
Ella713
Courtesan

Post by Ella713 »

Maybe someone can help me with this questions (and I'm sure you all can!) I'm trying to think of the episode where Mick and Beth are discussing certain bands. I'm pretty sure Beth was a fan of Dashboard Confessional and Mick hated them?? Does this sound familiar to anyone? To be honest, I remember thinking out of all the bands he named, I hadn't heard a single song from any of them and for some reason I was going to look up the bands, but of course can't remember any of them!
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Ella713 wrote:Maybe someone can help me with this questions (and I'm sure you all can!) I'm trying to think of the episode where Mick and Beth are discussing certain bands. I'm pretty sure Beth was a fan of Dashboard Confessional and Mick hated them?? Does this sound familiar to anyone? To be honest, I remember thinking out of all the bands he named, I hadn't heard a single song from any of them and for some reason I was going to look up the bands, but of course can't remember any of them!
That's from Click. After Mick gets hit by the car and Beth helps into his apartment. They are sitting on his couch, talking:

BETH: Maybe the boyfriend was lying to cover up his own guilt.
MICK: No, the boyfriend’s only crime is being in an EMO band.
BETH: What’s wrong with EMO?
MICK: Nothing when they’re influenced by Hüsker Dü. But now they all just copy Jimmy Eat World and well, that explains Dashboard Confessional, doesn’t it?
BETH: I like Dashboard Confessional.

:thumbs:
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
Ella713
Courtesan

Post by Ella713 »

Thanks MLC!!! You're the best!!

Return to “Episode Discussion”