Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 1: NSTAV

nutmegger911
Cleaner

Re: No Such Things As Vampires (Episode One)

Post by nutmegger911 »

Good thing I was never into vampires. :snicker:
NM911
LIVE WIDE
It ain't canon until they've shot it (and aired it) - I said that.
Trust the Muse. - Catmoon
The system isn't broken, it's fixed. - Billo
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Oh, I was hooked. I wasn't in love yet, but I was definitely hooked. :teeth:
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

I guess I'm easy. :teeth: Plot holes be damned. I was sold on Mick. Done deal.
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

PNWgal wrote:No...it sure doesn't... :happysigh:

I have to admit...we didn't like the pilot. Mr. PNW and I looked at each other and sort of went "Huh??" Coming from Angel, I expected SO much more.

Thank Bob for my "watch three eps before giving up" rule. :melts:

I only watched because I enjoyed Angel. I liked Mick from the beginning but Beth worked my nerve in this episode.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Yeah, Beth took a little getting used to. Sophia had only been in the US for a couple of weeks when she shot that episode. Her accent was all over the place! :giggle:
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

Amen, Carol...that's about the only reason I gave this another chance, because we were faithful Buffy/Angel fans.

And Mick definitely had peaked my interest. :teeth:

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

allegrita wrote:Oh, I was hooked. I wasn't in love yet, but I was definitely hooked. :teeth:
Yup. I didn't fall in love until the next week...but that's a discussion for next Friday. :teeth:

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

And the anticipation is already building. :biggrin:
NM911
LIVE WIDE
It ain't canon until they've shot it (and aired it) - I said that.
Trust the Muse. - Catmoon
The system isn't broken, it's fixed. - Billo
eris
Sire

Post by eris »

ML was a show I meant to watch, but forgot about the night it premiered. I turned it on by accident, and was about to turn it off when JD came on screen and I couldn't figure out where I'd seen him. (I didn't know they'd recast the role of Josef, and was expecting the older actor, who I actually thought was Patrick Bauchau). I stuck around to figure out who he was and by the time I realized it was "that guy" from Veronica Mars, I decided to watch the rest.
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

:snicker: I'd never laid eyes on him before -- but he certainly caught my interest. :teeth:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Oh, man.

The DVD setup is in a different room from my computer and I just finished watching and came in to chat and see that you have been talking all along. It has been a while since I watched this episode, and the first thought I had was that the magic is still entact.

There is just a classy elegance about it, from the soft background music to the slick, smart dialogue. Vampires have made the transition to modern day L.A. and they do know how to blend in with the fast paced, beautiful people.

In the interview scene right at the beginning (and I know this is probably really, really silly) I wondered what was in that mug that Mick almost took a sip from on occasion. The obvious thing would be coffee or water, or was this dinner? I guess it is one of those things that is left for the fans to discuss and here we are, years later, discussing it.

When Mick and Beth met at the fountain, when she looked at him certain that she had met him before but unable to connect the dots, he looked at her with such gentle warmth that I found myself melting into that old familiar pile of goo (familiar Moonlight state) :melts:

The guy moments between Mick and Josef were fabulous. They are obviously very different people and while they clearly agree to disagree, there is a real rapport there--disguised behind Josef's near total disregard for boundaries in invading Mick's loft when he wasn't there and Mick just taking it and then later when Josef said that Mick is not the man he occasionally pretends to respect... Hey, this is the same scene that was in Lilly's Worst Screentest post. I knew it was familiar.

After the funeral, there was that moment when Beth put her hand on Mick's and he is startled by the gesture.

The meet-cute in Kelly Foster's apartment when Mick and Beth first encountered each other while 'breaking and entering' gave us a wonderful look at Beth's personality and how wonderfully they compliment each other. Of course, they are both gorgeous but their personalities play off each other perfectly.

I really liked the character of Steve, Beth's cameraman. I wish we would have seen more of him. He was a quiet, relaxed presence.

And the ending. I melted into another pile of goo. :melts: :melts: How can anyone see that expression on Mick's face and watch Beth walk into him arms and not just melt.

OK, I'll admit it. I was hooked here. Totally charmed. The hook had not been set, but I was genuinely intrigued. I remember wondering if they were going to do a Lois Lane thing where she would never figure out that he was a vampire and how that would get old pretty fast but the decision to watch the next episode had already been made.

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

I love the way you describe Mick's expression at the fountain, Jenna. That's just how I feel about it, too. Like he's looking at the little girl all grown up, but he has such a warm, caring expression there. What he says doesn't match his face... it's all there in his expression, now that we know to look for it. :hearts: :heart:
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

To me, Mick was always one of those people where substance far exceeds form.

Some people give a fabulous first impression, but behind the flashy facade there is little to back it up. Others may not dazzle you at first but you sense that there is something very special there.

That came out sorta wrong. I am not saying that Alex is not a very attractive guy--he clearly is, but the character he portrayed here had amazing depth and charm.

The whole package just worked very, very well.

More melting now :melts: :melts: :melts:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Ah, memories! I was searching for something on youtube in January 08 when there was something about an interview with a vampire in the margin. I've never seen Buffy or Angel, except for a few glimpses, but I've loved mysteries and super hero things and love to read history novels. So I looked at it. It was a promo for Moonlight, using the interview scenes.
I was hooked already by the voice of Mick and how he playfully flirted with the interviewer. I liked the new mythology of freezers and silver and all that. I wanted to know more and searched for more scenes. I found the whole first and second episode on Youtube (it's deleted now, of course) and watched them two or three times to figure out the dialogue (wasn't as good in understanding spoken English as now that I have watched every snippet of interviews with the cast that I could find). The first one was mainly cheesy and cliché but I still liked the characters. I was hooked by episode 2 when Mick shivered in the corner and told Beth "I'm a vampire".
The rest is history.
Ella713
Courtesan

Post by Ella713 »

This epeisode will always be one of my favorites because you're meeting everyone for the first time. Josef of course was wonderful but I too love the banter between Carl and Beth "threesomes never end well" that quote had me on the floor laughing! :rolling:
Last edited by Ella713 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Episode Discussion”