Searching for Sonny - part 2 - World Premiere

Locked Jason threads are here.
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Searching for Sonny - part 2 - World Premiere

Post by Lilly »

ImageImageImage

Welcome to the second thread of our discussion of Jason's exciting new film project, "Searching for Sonny."

Let's re-cap:

Searching for Sonny
is a comedy/mystery, written and directed by Andrew Disney, which was shot in Fort Worth, TX. Shooting wrapped in early June and the film is now in the post-production phase.

In addition to Jason, the film will feature Minka Kelly; Nick Kocher and Brian McElhaney, who form the New York City comedy duo, BriTANick; Masi Oka and Michael Hogan.

"Searching for Sonny" is a film that tells the story of Calvin, Elliot and Gary who return to their high school reunion to discover that their old buddy, Sonny, is missing under mysterious circumstances. After run-ins with the law, an ex-girlfriend and the corpse of the high school quarterback, the mystery turns meta when they realize that everything happening seems eerily similar to a play they performed in high school – a play Sonny wrote."

FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/searchingforsonny

Twitter: http://twitter.com/searchforsonny

Tumblr: http://blog.searchingforsonny.com/ -- Director's Notebook

Our previous discussion thread has been archived: Here
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Re: Searching for Sonny - part 2

Post by Lilly »

Carrying over from the end of our last thread...

From Andrew Disney's Director's Notebook, here's a pic we haven't seen before of the terrific trio... http://blog.searchingforsonny.com/post/ ... with-jason
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

How cute those guys are! :laugh:
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Hi, Andrew!!!! :wave: Actually, we think ... Image

ETA: Andrew just gave us a shout out on tumblr! :hearts: :flowers:

http://blog.searchingforsonny.com/post/ ... olics-rock
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

This is truly exciting! What a very cool thing!

And Andrew, you rock, BIG TIME!

Lucky
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Oh, my gosh! How cool is THAT?!? :hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2:
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Granted, most of us here think that Jason could rock just about any role he was given, but I thought it might be interesting to ask why he was sought out for THIS role. Today I asked Andrew Disney...

Me: (When I talked to Jason) "I teased him a bit -- wondering aloud if his 2002 Domino's Pizza commercial might have sold you on the idea of him being a believable pizza delivery guy. ;-) Seriously, though, I'm wondering if you might be able to share with us what it was about Jason that made you think he'd be the perfect Elliot. Were there other specific performances of his (other than the pizza commercial :roll: ) that gave you glimpses of what you envisioned for Elliot?"

Andrew: "That's a really great observation about Dominos. I actually didn't know Jason was in a Dominos commercial, so I guess that was coincidental. We've all been really big fans of Veronica Mars and that's what really sold us on Jason. His character had a great edge to him that gave us the confidence that Jason could play a character like Elliot - someone who has a bit of an edge but who is also vulnerable. Couple that with his all-american charm and everyman feel and we had ourselves the perfect Elliot!"

Works for me! :twothumbs:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Oooh, thank you so much for sharing that, Lilly! Who can argue with that logic? :hearts:
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Andrew Disney obviously is a man of keen insight. There is often a very vulnerable vibe coming from Jason's characters, as well as the edge. I (here's a shock!) see that in Josef, too.

Thanks for asking about that, Lilly...and how nice that Andrew answered!

Lucky
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Andrew has been very gracious :rose: -- especially considering how much he has on his plate right now. I don't want to bother him too much, but perhaps I can ask him a question from time to time.

Aside from the obvious questions about timing and distribution -- and, btw, he's said he hopes to have a trailer ready in the next month or so :hyper2: -- what questions would all of you like to have him answer about the creative process? Perhaps we can get one or two of them answered. :chin:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
r1015bill
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by r1015bill »

I have a question! OOOOh! OOOOOh! Pick me! Pick me!

What is his process for adding background music to the movie? Is it more "Now that I see the finished scene it needs something here" or more like Tarantino who almost seems to select the music before he films the scene. (Sneak peak music reminded me of some music in Kill Bill Part 2).
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Ooh, cool question! (Why am I picturing you as Horshak from Welcome Back Kotter?!) :laugh:
r1015bill
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by r1015bill »

allegrita wrote:Ooh, cool question! (Why am I picturing you as Horshak from Welcome Back Kotter?!) :laugh:
That was the image I was going for! I wanted to be sure I got Lilly's attention. :D
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Duly noted, r. :snicker:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

A little something I spruced up...

Lilly

My Fanfic Index

Return to “The Jason Archives”