Moonlight on the CW, Ep 3: Dr. Feelgood

wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Moonlight on the CW, Ep 3: Dr. Feelgood

Post by wpgrace »

allegrita wrote: I definitely think that's true, rbill. It reminds me of a thing Bill Cosby said about cocaine back in the 80's. I'm paraphrasing from memory, but it went something like this:

My friends keep trying to get me to use coke. I ask 'em what's so great about it. They say, "It enhances your personality." So I ask them, "Well, what if you're an a**hole?"

That's vampirism in a nutshell for me. It makes you what you were, with extra stuff that amplifies you in lots of ways...but leaves your basic personality intact. Stovsky is a super-geek. :snicker:
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

:offtopic: We just watched that routine by Cosby on Netflix... your memory is perfect... and what a hilarious line!!! And how utterly true!!!

Back ON topic... I always wondered how Stovsky ever got turned... I mean, Mick.... we totally get, right? Josef? Totally understandable.
Stovsky??
Some vamp lose a poker bet????
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

When Red posted screencaps of the first scene of Dr. Feelgood, the one where Mick opens the door for Beth, I had a thought. I'll repeat it by request of allegrita, quoting myself:
Yes, the door opening. Thank you, red, for the caps. They show beautifully how beautiful he is, and how he avoids looking at her, and how he stares at her all serious and how carefully he ponders what to do now. It was such a tense situation, he was probably seeing her future somewhere in the tar pits if he didn't manage to stop her from investigating much further, and couldn't bear the thought of telling her about the monster he was. And yet, here was the interview he dreamed about in NSTAV but like a nightmare. Only thing that would have made it worse would have been if Josef showed up in the middle of it.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Thanks, francis, for copying your post here. It really struck me... the idea that this was the dark flip-side of Mick's fantasy interview about what it's like to be a vampire. Fantasy Mick was so carefree, so willing to pass on information. But when it really happens, he's guarded, and every question Beth asks him brings up ghosts and difficult feelings. He can't just tell her everything. He doesn't know her well at all. He thinks he can trust her--she hasn't betrayed him, even though she knows his secret--but she's a reporter, for goodness sake! It's her job to spread knowledge around. So he chooses his words so carefully, and when she asks the inevitable question--how did he become a vampire--she hits a really big nerve, and he shuts down. No more questions. Beth has to leave... but Mick should know by now that she'll be back, and she won't be put off forever. She has to know, even if she can't share her knowledge.

One of the major themes of this episode, and one that is extremely important to me, is the slow development of Mick's trust in Beth. She doesn't understand everything--not by a long shot--but she gets the most important thing that she needs to "get" -- she will not betray Mick's secrets. And by the end of the episode, he's figured that out.
LoveBite
Kostan Industries intern

Post by LoveBite »

Late to the posting party ... but this ep was where I fell in love with Mick (or maybe it was Alex). The last scene, standing outside Beth's doorway, just melted my heart ... I remember the first time I saw it, I thought "WOW", that guy is just too beautiful. Anyway, Mr. LoveBite has been watching Moonlight with me this time around and likes the show! At the end, even he said that guy is good-looking. Ha, what an understatement! :heart:

Next week Fever :hearts:
Carol
~LoveBite
MoonMarg
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by MoonMarg »

Hi :wave: I'm in Oz so I haven't been able to re-watch the episode on CW but wanted to contribute anyway. I loved all the MickBeth moments of this episode but not so much about the rogue Doctor. My favourite scene was the end - Mick going to Beths apartment and telling her about how he was turned. I think it showed perfectly how far their relationship had come in such a short time. At the beginning of the episode he wouldn't/couldn't tell her about his turning. During the episode they shared a number of sweet scenes where Mick started opening up to Beth about being a vampire. And of course Beth helped him out of a tough situation with the de-staking. By the end scene - Mick admitted he trusted her with his secret and therefore his life. They had come along way. Of course we also got some more of Mick's quiet witty humour "trust me, your not", and "stay in the car means". I also loved his line "its not polite to ask people their age" and her reply of "that's just women" - the banter between them was so cute. Of course on a total shallow note - he looked so friggin hot entering that house with his gun drawn. :hyper2:
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

:clapping: :clapping: for Mr. LoveBite. :giggle:

MoonMarg, ITA on the humour. It was one of the things that surprised me (in such a good way) about Moonlight. The tone would have been very different without it - and in so many ways it prevented Mick from being a caricature of a tortured soul. (And you are not alone on the gun... :yes: :yes: )

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Hmmm... other husbands are realizing Alex is hot... very cool. And of course, this ep, it's hard to miss... :melts:

MY husband watched 3R with me last night. We had gone to see BUP together. And he watched a few eps of ML back in the day.
Nothing registered for him at all... no clue it's the same actor in all 3. None.

Mick I get. Mick looks really different. But although Andy and Stan do not move or ACT alike, they look pretty similar...
Men. :roll:

Now, back to the gun... :thud: :devil:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

wpgrace wrote:Hmmm... other husbands are realizing Alex is hot... very cool. And of course, this ep, it's hard to miss... :melts:

MY husband watched 3R with me last night. We had gone to see BUP together. And he watched a few eps of ML back in the day.
Nothing registered for him at all... no clue it's the same actor in all 3. None.

Mick I get. Mick looks really different. But although Andy and Stan do not move or ACT alike, they look pretty similar...

Now, back to the gun... :thud: :devil:
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

You're kidding. My hubby watched about 15 minutes of ML, then left (he's not into sci-fi or fantasy). When 3R came on, he watched it and figured out in about 5 minutes that Dr. Andy is 'vampire guy'. Then, he got up and left.

I'll do my best, but getting him to watch H50 is going to be a challenge - he's already figured out 'vampire guy' is Steve McGarrett.

I agree, the three characters all look different, but perhaps my intent gazing at the screen :cloud9: was my hubby's clue.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

wpgrace wrote:MY husband watched 3R with me last night. We had gone to see BUP together. And he watched a few eps of ML back in the day.
Probably just as well, sweetie. :giggle:

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
nutmegger911
Cleaner

Post by nutmegger911 »

darkstarrising wrote:My hubby watched about 15 minutes of ML, then left (he's not into sci-fi or fantasy). When 3R came on, he watched it and figured out in about 5 minutes that Dr. Andy is 'vampire guy'. Then, he got up and left.

I'll do my best, but getting him to watch H50 is going to be a challenge - he's already figured out 'vampire guy' is Steve McGarrett.

I agree, the three characters all look different, but perhaps my intent gazing at the screen was my hubby's clue.
Perhaps it wasn't "vampire guy" that he couldn't stand to watch... (just a thought) :whistle:
NM911
LIVE WIDE
It ain't canon until they've shot it (and aired it) - I said that.
Trust the Muse. - Catmoon
The system isn't broken, it's fixed. - Billo
MoonMarg
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by MoonMarg »

wpgrace wrote:MY husband watched 3R with me last night. We had gone to see BUP together. And he watched a few eps of ML back in the day.

Grace - my husband is the same. He does not recognise Alex apart from when he is Mick. But I totally understand that. If I didn't know better I don't think I'd recognise him either. Mick looks so different to what Alex looks like it is amazing. Obviously the hair and weight is very different these days, but I think its more to do with Mick's mannerisms that makes him so different.

Now back to Dr Feelgood - I've often wondered why Mick touched Beth's hand in the final scene. Was it just a reassuring sort of touch now that he admitted to her he trusts her??
The other thing I've often wondered about this episode is that the time difference between the end of OOTP and DF is a couple of days. With a human discovering the vampire secret I've often thought it odd Mick didn't bother to pursue the matter further. I would have that that was against vampire rules. Mick obviously already had enough trust in Beth that she wouldn't spill the beans and would come back to him freely for more information.
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

MoonMarg wrote:

Grace - my husband is the same. He does not recognise Alex apart from when he is Mick. But I totally understand that. If I didn't know better I don't think I'd recognise him either. Mick looks so different to what Alex looks like it is amazing. Obviously the hair and weight is very different these days, but I think its more to do with Mick's mannerisms that makes him so different.

Now back to Dr Feelgood - I've often wondered why Mick touched Beth's hand in the final scene. Was it just a reassuring sort of touch now that he admitted to her he trusts her??
The other thing I've often wondered about this episode is that the time difference between the end of OOTP and DF is a couple of days. With a human discovering the vampire secret I've often thought it odd Mick didn't bother to pursue the matter further. I would have that that was against vampire rules. Mick obviously already had enough trust in Beth that she wouldn't spill the beans and would come back to him freely for more information.
I agree that he trusted Beth not to spill the beans. He'd been watching over her for years and had some sense of what her behavior might be. Even so, he was taking a chance.

What we don't know from the end of OOTP to the time she returns to ask him questions is what her response was after he said 'I'm a vampire." All we saw was her facial expression of shock. Did she stay and help him? Did he ask her not to say anything to anyone? Somehow, if her reaction had been to run screaming into the night, utterly horrified, he might have had more to worry about.

As for the hand gesture, I think it was a reassuring touch, or perhaps the first real attempt on his part to reach out for the touch of another.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!

Return to “Episode Discussion”