Moonlight Vampire Gaffes

A deeper discussion of Vampire Mythology
OnceBitTwiceShy
Freelance freshie

Re: Moonlight Vampire Gaffes

Post by OnceBitTwiceShy »

r1015bill wrote:Does anyone wonder why, in OOTP, Mick brings all the blood home and THEN drinks some of it. He was in such bad shape, you'd think he would have hid in a corner or in the car and drunk everything he had.

Dramatically, Beth had to see him drinking and ask him that question...
I wondered about the whole scene. Why didn't he have someone at the morgue who sold him the blood take out the bullets? Why didn't he go straight to Josef's to get the bullets out and get blood? Or, why didn't he call Josef and have him meet Mick at Mick's place with blood and forceps? And who took the bullets out after he drank some of the blood? Mick couldn't possible reach his back. If silver is so poisonous, why did he delay with errands like buying blood and driving home?
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

We had a great challenge (#103) with different takes on that scene and how it played out.
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Great discussion and, as usual, I'm late to the party.

To me, Moonlight rewrote the rules of vampirism to being more like a viral infection (i.e., the Monlight vamps weren't really dead, no matter what Josef thinks) They are given infected blood at a point near death and that blood rewrites their DNA, speeds up cell renewal to a point that healing is very rapid and aging stops.

The 'decay' talked about is a side effect of the rapid cell renewal as so many cells are sloughed off that there is an odor about them.

Electrical energy produced in the brain increases greatly to power the increased abilities and results in some rather amazing mental abilities as well as the heightened senses.

To me, Beth just had a totally charming, perpetually cool boyfriend with a lot of odd allergies, dietary restrictions, and sleeping habits.

(I wish I could write fanfic, it would be such fun to write about this)

In short, I don't think they were really gaffes as much as decisions to go in another direction--one I totally enjoyed. All of these things laid the groundwork for what could have been a wonderful story arc about the diversity and mystery of humanity.

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Oh Jen! Your scientific explanations for the vamp mythology in the show... which also tried to contend with scientific explanations... really rocks! I LOVE your theory!
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
jmc
Rogue vampire

Post by jmc »

jen wrote:To me, Beth just had a totally charming, perpetually cool boyfriend with a lot of odd allergies, dietary restrictions, and sleeping habits.
:giggle:

But I 'm liking your explanation and everything fits! :thumbs:

. . . Love is strong as death . . . - Song of Solomon 8: 6
"fiercely faithful"

My beautiful MickBeth avatar by Twilightdew. My beautiful banner courtesy of the very talented Phoenix.
eris
Sire

Post by eris »

It always makes me laugh when people point out how ML "rewrote" vampire lore. Kind of like how people say Twilight was so great because Edward was the first "reluctant" vampire who wished he was still human. Just about the only vampire element unique to ML was the freezer. I've never seen another show where the vamps slept in freezers, but they do usually prefer cooler climates because it cuts down on the decay.

The writers said it was a virus, which is one of the standard versions of vampirism. (Underworld used it pretty extensively.) They were planning to expand the virus storyline in the 2nd season, claiming that the "bloodline" was a specific strain unlike any other, and possibly one reason that Beth couldn't be turned ever.

The "gaffes" are more internal inconsistencies that the show either tried to gloss over, or just never explained. Like Easter eggs or inside jokes among the fans.

That's why it doesn't matter that Mick says Coraline was from the French Revolution when the closed captioning on the series (when it aired, not sure about the DVD's) said she was 500 years old. :slaphead: :snicker:
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

True, eris... vamp mythology aside, the gaffes remain... :giggle:
And they've kinda become beloved little suckers, eh?
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Oh, man. I didn't see those other movies on vampires and I thought I was being original. I did see a couple of episodes of True Blood in the first season and think that a blood substitute sounded plausible.

I guess you make a hole larg enough, somebody will drive a truck or two through it.

Thanks to everybody who agrees with me on the virus angle. When I watch shows like Moonlight, I enjoy trying to come up with a theory that makes the pieces fit and this even worked for me on the freezer issue, so it made me happy.

It also defined a situation that eventually a solution would be found to.

Say, at some time more would be known about viruses negative effects. Then, there would be another question. Would an infected individual choose to take the cure, or take treatments so that they could be in the sun without discomfort, eat food, etc., in order to maintain the longevity, healing, strength and heightened senses.

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
MoonMad
Fledgling

Post by MoonMad »

eris wrote:...That's why it doesn't matter that Mick says Coraline was from the French Revolution when the closed captioning on the series (when it aired, not sure about the DVD's) said she was 500 years old. :slaphead: :snicker:
But did he ever say she was turned during the French Revolution? Couldn't she and her brothers have been vampires for hundreds of years before the Revolution, but only needed to find The Cure during the Revolution to avoid the vampire culling that was going on? :chin:
NightAir
Fledgling

Post by NightAir »

MoonMad wrote:
eris wrote:...That's why it doesn't matter that Mick says Coraline was from the French Revolution when the closed captioning on the series (when it aired, not sure about the DVD's) said she was 500 years old. :slaphead: :snicker:
But did he ever say she was turned during the French Revolution? Couldn't she and her brothers have been vampires for hundreds of years before the Revolution, but only needed to find The Cure during the Revolution to avoid the vampire culling that was going on? :chin:
In Fleur de Lis, when Beth asks how Coraline became a vampire, Mick replies, "Coraline was turned in the early 1700's, in France."
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

NightAir wrote: In Fleur de Lis, when Beth asks how Coraline became a vampire, Mick replies, "Coraline was turned in the early 1700's, in France."
Hmm... maybe she was turned during the reign on Louis XIV, who died in 1715. (He was the grandfather of Louis XVI, who was killed during the French Revolution.)
r1015bill
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by r1015bill »

Let's remember that Mick only knew what Coraline TOLD him. Do we believe that Coraline always told him the truth?? :slaphead: NO WAY!
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

That is just another thing that Josef and Coraline have in common.

You can never completely depend on either of them to tell the complete truth.
Personally, I always wanted to believe what Josef said. Coraline--not so much. No matter how sincere she seemed, or how genuine her new persona appeared, I didn't entirely buy it.

Others around here are more forgiving and trusting, I guess.

francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

I always felt that Coraline and Josef are both not telling everything. But the Moonlight math is just that. I guess, 300 and 500 is not that far apart. :laugh:
eris
Sire

Post by eris »

It's the same ML-math that had Mick calling Lance a "Medieval" vampire when that would have added centuries to his age as defined by the show. (One reason I don't think they were "brothers" in the literal, but more like brothers as defined by having a common sire.)

I think everyone pretty much knows that originally Lance was a "pre-historic" vampire, which would have been great for the show. But the "bloodline" plotline ruined that.

Return to “Vampire Philosophy”