Vampire physical appearance technical question

A deeper discussion of Vampire Mythology
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Vampire physical appearance technical question

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

hmmm.... am in the process of trying to set out a chapter for one of my fics and have stumbled on a bit of a technical issue. Can a vampire grow their hair and / or a beard?

I know vampires are dead, but I've heard that hair, fingernails etc continue to grow after death (not sure if this is a myth or not). If this is true, then technically it should be possible. However, I've read other vamp literature where any difference to appearance is not possible.

What do others think???
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

Re: Vampire physical appearance technical question

Post by NocturneInCMoll »

Not sure how this fits into vampires, Luxe, especially in the Moonlight mythology, but if I remember correctly, in real life hair/fingernails only appear to grow after death. I think it's the skin receding or something that makes them "longer."
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Well, Mick obviously grows stubble, and he obviously cuts his hair from time to time...because we saw that on TV. :laugh: So in my mind, that makes it canon, and vampires can grow hair and beards. Thus they have to shave and get haircuts. And probably cut their nails, too...
bank1115
Fledgling

Post by bank1115 »

This from hairfinders:

Q: I heard that hair does not stop growing once you die! I'm just curious is this true, if so, how long does it keep growing afterwards?

A: This is actually a myth. While it is true that when the heart stops beating and a person is declared “dead” the cells of the body may still be alive, even the most long-lasting cells on a corpse will only live on for a few days beyond the declaration of death. While this can technically mean that there is growth beyond the point of death, the actual amount of growth would be negligible.

What actually happens, and what results in the idea that the hair (and nails) continue to grow is that after death, the skin begins to retract and degrade. The end result is that the hair and nails appear to get longer after death. This is why many people think that the hair continues to grow after death.

Cells need nurishment to continue to live. They get their nurishment from blood circulating through the body. Does a vampires blood circulate? I thinking when we see them shot or stabbed they bleed so I'm thinking that their blood is somehow slowly circulating-perhaps through electrical conduction in their system or because their hearts really do work but at an extremely low rate. Barb
Beautiful banner by Phoenix
eris
Sire

Post by eris »

Canon-wise, considering when J (and the other older ones like Lance, etc.) were born, they have to be able to at least cut their hair. Men didn't wear their hair short 400 years ago, and most of them wore beards.

If it didn't grow at some point, too, then it would make it that much harder to blend in.

I'd lump hair growth in with cellular regeneration of their bodies. So long as they're capable of healing, they should be able to grow hair.
Phoenix
Moonlightaholic Founder

Post by Phoenix »

Mick's hair was definitely longer in 2007 than in 1952...
Beautiful tag courtesy of SirenSong.
Image My fanfic index. My banner art.

Each player must accept the cards life deals him. But once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game. Voltaire.
NocturneInCMoll
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by NocturneInCMoll »

According to the ep. Arrested Development, in which Acne Boy at one point suddenly developed long, sharp, hideous fingernails, vampires' fingers can "vamp out" too.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

I think ML canon allows for hair, whisker, and nail growth.

Other vampires vary--in some cases, hair can be cut, but returns to the "pre-vamp" state every night.

In Stoker, the appearance of hair, etc. varies with how well fed the vamp is...Dracula has white hair when he is hungry, and appears older. When fed, his appearance reverts to a more youthful looking state.

Lucky
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

thanks for the input everyone. :ghug: I think there seems to be general consensus that hair would grow in the Moonlightiverse.

.... and now, off to the keyboard!
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
AussieJo
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by AussieJo »

Phoenix wrote:Mick's hair was definitely longer in 2007 than in 1952...
Excellent point phoenix. :twothumbs:
And a detail that I am 'eternally' grateful for!! :snicker:
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Luxe de Luxe wrote:thanks for the input everyone. :ghug: I think there seems to be general consensus that hair would grow in the Moonlightiverse.

.... and now, off to the keyboard!

and we'll anxiously await what you come up with!! :hearts:
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
lafluffy
Freelance freshie

Post by lafluffy »

Sigh. It's been wonderful to read a discussion about an issue purely exclusive to Moonlight. Just like the good old days. :thanks2:
lafluffy, Queen of the Damned Fluffies
........................Image
.......................Fabulous screencap by the ever fabulous lighterthanair.
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

Sometimes I have to re-read old conversations......they remind me of the "new days" and the faces we haven't seen in a while....

Sure am glad Mick let his hair grow....

Return to “Vampire Philosophy”