When did you join the Moonlight Fandom?

allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Re: When did you join the Moonlight Fandom?

Post by allegrita »

I started googling Moonlight in the late fall of 2007 and found CBS and some fan sites. At the time, I thought forums were silly (yes, I get the irony!) so I didn't join anything, I just perused the top-level sites, galleries, etc. I wrote my Fever story in late January, and started wondering if other people had been inspired to write fic about Moonlight. I found some fic on Live Journal and created an LJ blog on February 15, 2008. I posted some stories in moonlight_story on LJ, then joined Moonlight-Detective, but it had a very small forum and I wanted to find a bigger site. I'd looked at MLL and rejected it--because at the top level, it seemed oriented solely toward promoting the Con, and I wasn't interested in the Con (yet)... but when I started looking at the forum there, I realized how diverse and interesting the fanbase was, so I joined MLL in March 2008. And the rest, as they say, is history. No, mythology. :snicker:
Emerald
Sire

Post by Emerald »

This was the first sig banner I ever used (on MLF)

Vampire Fetishists Association (VFA) FangGirl No. 1 :yahoo:

And the first avatar I had when I (finally) came out of the Ship Closet. :laugh:

"Vampires are outside the realms of human constructed notions of sexuality"

I will go down with this ship
And I won't put my hands up and surrender
There will be no white flag above my door
I'm in love and always will be

Queen of the Jock (Josef/Mick) Shippers
Emerald
Sire

Post by Emerald »

Josefismysire wrote:..my girls thought it was a real hoot..seeing mom trying to navigate the 'net..

Ha! They don't laugh anymore..pfffttt! :laugh: Well..much... :roll:
*LOL* What did they say when you told them you'd been made a moderator on a forum? :snicker:

m00nlight_babe
Fledgling

Post by m00nlight_babe »

I joined Moonlight Fans first, in early January 2008. I posted a total of three times. Never really got into it. I did however get really involved on MLL, posting roughly eight thousand times in the five to six months I was on there before the board starting falling apart.
Banner by Me, please no snagging
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

I posted on MLL about twenty-five times in five months. Now I can't shut up.
Josefismysire
Courtesan

Post by Josefismysire »

Emerald wrote:
Josefismysire wrote:..my girls thought it was a real hoot..seeing mom trying to navigate the 'net..

Ha! They don't laugh anymore..pfffttt! :laugh: Well..much... :roll:
*LOL* What did they say when you told them you'd been made a moderator on a forum? :snicker:
They thought that I had gone off the deep end..from hobby to obsession. :blushing: They were not incorrect in that assumption.. :whistle: And, I'm still happily wallowing... :biggrin:
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

I didn't really discover Moonlight until I saw the promo for Fever on the Tuesday before it aired. I had heard about the new vampire detective show on CBS Image and just wasn't interested. :noway:

When I saw that promo, that was it. I went to the CBS website and watched the first three episodes I had missed because I wanted to be "up to speed" for Friday night. I guess that's when I searched on "Moonlight" and came across MLF. I lurked there for a couple of weeks, but never registered. At the time, it was experiencing some up and downs, and a one point was completely unavailable for a few days. More searching. I just happened to stumble across MLL the night it went live. There were fewer than 10 people (mostly the mods) registered at the time. I recognized most of the names from MLF and decided to give it a shot. Being not the most decisive person in the world, it took me a couple of hours to decide on a member name. By the time I registered I was the 51st member, I believe, and I made it in just under the wire on opening night 11/12/2007.
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
VampFan5
Rogue vampire

Post by VampFan5 »

My son had just been born so I was preoccupied with recovering from a C-section when I saw the promo for B.C. and had to watch. I was hooked after 5 minutes. I watched a couple episodes on the CBS site and then went to YouTube to find the rest. I joined Moonlightfans and the CBS board in April right before FTP aired and started posting a month later. I eventually joined MLL and the MLF and now here. It's been a thrill ride that never ends as Mick would say. :hyper2:

VF5 :cheer:
Travis and the Tar Pit Tails.....a story by VampFan5
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Another late bloomer....I saw the first episode and was hooked....God help anyone that got between me and the TV on Friday night!!!

Never heard of fandoms before Moonlight and started lurking on MLL in the spring of 2008 during the writers' strike looking for info as to what the next episodes were going to be, whether the show was going to survive.....

Never heard of fanfic either, until I started lurking. Then I started to read it...then I tried writing it....haven't stopped since.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
eris
Sire

Post by eris »

darkstarrising wrote: Never heard of fanfic either, until I started lurking. Then I started to read it...then I tried writing it....haven't stopped since.
Ditto (though my 1st exposure was to Blood Ties about a month earlier than ML started). It's an addiction that's hard to kick... assuming you'd want to. :snicker: :snicker:
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

eris wrote:
darkstarrising wrote: Never heard of fanfic either, until I started lurking. Then I started to read it...then I tried writing it....haven't stopped since.
Ditto (though my 1st exposure was to Blood Ties about a month earlier than ML started). It's an addiction that's hard to kick... assuming you'd want to. :snicker: :snicker:
Nope...having way to much fun reading it and writing it!!
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

I had been a lurker in many fandoms and read a ton of fanfic but had never written any before Moonlight.
Emerald
Sire

Post by Emerald »

cassysj wrote:I had been a lurker in many fandoms and read a ton of fanfic but had never written any before Moonlight.
Yep, same. I lurked around the fringes of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer and X-Files Fandoms online back in the 90's. Read some Fan Fic, including Slash from time to time but never really got involved in anything before Moonlight. Before I wrote my first Fan Fic, I actually hadn't written anything since high school...and that was almost 20 odd years ago.

Now I'm completely hooked. I cannot conceive of a day when I don't write Moonlight slash. :no:

HotMicks
Ancient

Post by HotMicks »

Came home from happy hour a bit wasted on wine and jumped in a couple of minutes into the first episode (midstream in the 'interview with a vampire'). Stopped the clicker because it did remind me of the Anne Rice book/flick, which I liked. By the end of the interview, I was hooked. The face. The voice. The expressions. The humor. The easy confidence. (and yes, Grace, the hands) For the first time in a long time, I couldn't wait for the next week (I'm like that with Mad Men now).

After the second episode (not my fave, by far, other than the Mick/Beth interaction), I went online to find out more about this 'hot guy.' Couldn't find much. The next week I found ML Fans. Then I found MLL and really couldn't believe the community there and the fact that there were all these other women who were struck the same as me by this guy (I know, DUH! :slaphead: ). I joined in Nov 2007 under a really stupid user name (had never done a fanboard/fandom before, didn't know how it worked and that the name would be 'permanent'). I think I switched to HotMicks in December or January and then started posting a bit in the episode discussions and snark threads and spent way too much time thinking up all those silly labels we were doing for awhile (my fave of mine: chief licker-upper of stray ice crystals on Mick's tramp stamp). I learned about banners, avis, smileys, PMs and yes, even SNARK! with many of you gals (though I'd done a snarky booklet with some college friends, making fun of some college/state govt officials we had to deal with)... yep, I acquired all this online expertise right along with you all
:reading: :type: :giggle: , so t'anks for the memories.

Here's my first banner (at MLL):

eris
Sire

Post by eris »

Am I the only one who had the opposite reaction to "this guy" in the pilot? :giggle:

Return to “Meeting Moonlight - September 28, 2007”