Moonlight Episode Discussion - Ep 9: Fleur de Lis

PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Re: Fleur de Lis (Episode Nine)

Post by PNWgal »

Just a shallow thought - I was SO glad to see Mick NOT use text speak. I hate that. :snicker:

Lucky... :rolling: Have to agree. A little MORE warning would have been nice.

Mick must get so exasperated with Beth insisting on going places she has no business going.

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

I think this scene is the first where see a little envy creep out in Beth. Her envy of the shoes, I think, is emblematic of the envy she feels for 'Coraline', the woman who kept Mick enthralled for decades. I see her staking of 'Morgan' (we see it at the start) as being the result of some very complex reactions in her. Not just the mixture of fear and fury from being taken, but the envy too, including sexual envy.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

This scene is one I find to be very fun and symbolic. Mick is playing both sides here. He is most certainly having fun with Morgan as they come in, he's enjoying her company. They're a team. Then he finds that Beth is there and instantly goes into protective mode. He works to get Morgan out of the house, working as a team with Beth. The poor guy is torn. But it's so much fun to watch. :)
I think this scene is the first where see a little envy creep out in Beth. Her envy of the shoes, I think, is emblematic of the envy she feels for 'Coraline', the woman who kept Mick enthralled for decades. I see her staking of 'Morgan' (we see it at the start) as being the result of some very complex reactions in her. Not just the mixture of fear and fury from being taken, but the envy too, including sexual envy.
I agree, Luxe. What I imagine Beth thinking when she stakes Coraline is "You can't have me. You can't have Mick."
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

I'm so with you there, GA. The Mick caught between two loves is a delight. The fact that he's so enjoying, so in tune, with Morgan was a delight as well, until I thought that hey! you're Beth's guy, then I remembered that ..well... officially, so not.

And yeah.... that staking was definitely part 'get away from him you b*tch' (sorry for the Aliens misquote, but I just love that line :snicker: )
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Oh I too LOVE LOVE LOVE Mick-in-the-Middle... it's one of my favorite Micks. The actor did that so very well... so that however they wrote him next, he could believably swing either way.

And I also loved the Mick with Morgan... he was so playful with her. I think a part of him, believing this to be Cora, just let down his hair (gorgeous hair that it was...) and relaxed and didn't worry about the self-control, hide what he is, being so proper all the time part of himself...

But truth be told, full disclosure and all that, there really wasn't a Mick I DIDN'T like in any of the eps... :whistle:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Not even Mick the soldier in 'What's Left Behind'?
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

darkstarrising wrote:Not even Mick the soldier in 'What's Left Behind'?
:giggle: Oh... I'm feeling nostalgic this week... I'd take any Mick I could get... :smooch:

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Wouldn't we all? :melts:
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

I wasn't a fan of G.I. Mick. Maybe it was the wig, I don't know.

While Beth goes through Morgan's house, Mick and Morgan set up surveillance in the building across from the Biltmore.

Morgan is commenting that she still doesn't know how Mick heard the couple - he must have ears like a bat. (TeeHee). He says not exactly. She says he should be greatful. She used to date a lot of musicians... Huh? Musicians? Really? ...and after a few years on stage their as deaf as doornails. THAT caught Mick's attention.

His phone goes off and he moves away to take the call. It's Beth.

She asks if he can talk and he tells he not really. He asks where she is. She's still at Morgan's and she comments how close they came to nearly getting caught.

Mick says, yes, too close.

Morgan is watching their targets through her camera and tells Mick to hurry, the clothes are hitting the floor.

Beth can hear. She asks where they are. He tells her their at a hotel. She wants to know whose clothes are hitting the floor.

He tells her he can't get into it right now.

Morgan lets out a squeeeeeee. Beth wants to know, really, what are they doing. Mick tells her their working a case. Well, it's obvious they're working something.

Morgan tells him he has to hurry up or she's going to start without him - that it's hot.

He tells Beth he's got to go.

Beth puts the phone down and continues to look through the photos on Morgan's desk. In the back of an album she finds a few photos tucked away. She pulls them out. It's Mick and we can see it's from when he took the gig at Coraline's place - when he first met her. And the photo is dated 1952.

Back at the hotel, M & M are watching and listening to the couple make love across the way. Morgan asks if they're saying anything.

He answers no, not unless they're using deep breathing and moaning as code. He adjusts his earphone and tells her to listen. The two put their heads together and listen to the sounds of sex.

They're getting turned on.

They get closer. Closer. And kiss.

They look at each other.

But the moment is broken when the targets begin to talk. She asks her lover what he thinks his father would say about them. M & M go back to work.

The pieces fall into place. Haggan's wife is having an affair with his son. Her stepson.

Morgan thinks it's kinky. And a pretty good motive for murder. Mick touches his lips and agrees. But it looks like there is more going on in that pretty head of his.

What do you think was going through Mick's mind at the end there?
wondergirl9847
Rogue vampire

Post by wondergirl9847 »

What I think is going on his head....is that it's Coraline. The kiss told him it was her. JMO. :yes:
*Christy*

helloeeze
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by helloeeze »

I think that kiss seemed very familiar and intoxicating...yet he still hasn't come to terms that it is Coraline. He's in denial. But his mind must working overtime with all the possibilities. That car ride over to Buzzwire clearly avoided the subject and I think Mick talked himself out of it being Coraline by the time he got to Buzzwire.

Also, do you notice the FoS out of the window as Mick is talking on the phone to Beth? Myimmortal pointed that out in her Moonlight tour. Have to give her credit.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

I think he knows it's Cora... but he's buying time afterwards to figure out what he's gonna do about it, and to try to anticipate what SHE'S gonna do. Last time he confronted her about who she is, she had covered her tattoo and stuck with her lie. So how's he gonna out her? And what does she want? (Josef says it's Mick... is that what Mick thinks? Or is he afraid still that she's after revenge?)

I think the rest of the show, he's going along with the charade... and working the case... and trying to deal with his feelings about it... and waiting for inspiration for just what the he!! to do. This really ISN'T textbook Private Eye 101...

GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

I'd say I agree with you, grace. I think there was always still a part of his brain that believed Morgan was Coraline but was afraid to deal with it. That kiss brought it up front and center. But what to do with the knowledge? As you said, when he confronted her before she denied it. He's treading carefully this time.
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

In answer to the question, "What was going through Mick's head?" I think during the kiss, not much. From everything we know to date, Mick's not the kind of guy to go around kissing random women. I think he got lost in the moment - partly because on some level he recognised Morgan, she felt familiar, even if intellectually he believed her not to be Coraline.

Post-kiss, I think it was, "Oh sh*t."

Closely followed by, "Who is this woman really?" Or "I knew it!"

He knew, but he didn't know. Yet.

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

this is my favourite scene of the episode - so much to enjoy here...

there's the voyeurism, the act they're watching a nice parallel with the basis of their own relationship, the fact that this is heating up the sexual tension between them, Beth's jealousy, "who's clothes are hitting the floor?!" She was acting like a jealous wife and I kept thinking, you've got no right to question Mick like this, you'll be going home to Josh tonight. It really was a bit of turn around is fair play here - Beth gets to feel some of the emotions Mick must feel when he sees her with Josh - it was too too funny. then the kiss itself, a soft, sweet, peck, clearly unsettling Mick, (the thumb across his lips) who's trying to keep his mind on the job when he's being pulled at emotionally by both women. Totally delicious!

Return to “Episode Discussion”