Happy ninth birthday to Moonlight!

allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Happy ninth birthday to Moonlight!

Post by allegrita »

Hi fellow Moonlightaholics,

Our show made its debut on Friday, September 28, 2007, and as my current banner says, it grabbed my attention right away when Beth bashed Mick over the head with a vase, and he (looking imperturbable and ever so handsome and cool) said, mildly, "Ouch." :gasp: :rolling: Beth was intrigued (but she was all, eww, vampires! :snicker: ). I was even more intrigued. This was definitely a new kind of vampire. :brow:

Although I had read and seen (on TV and in movies) quite a few different takes on the vampire theme before Moonlight, I've always been a bit annoyed that vampirism seemed to involve the loss of a person's true personality, and usually, their soul. Why should it? :shrug: Maybe it's because I'm not very religious, but the whole "get bitten and lose your soul and your goodness" thing left me cold. That's one of the reasons I loved Moonlight so much, even from the very start. Finally, here was a show where vampirism was a physical condition, not a spiritual catastrophe. Yes, there were certain side effects--many of which made sense in terms of vampires being predatory by nature--their senses were heightened, they were strong, they could see in the dark, new vamps could become feral if not carefully coached by their sires, etc. And there were some nods to traditional vampire lore, with interesting twists--silver was poisonous to them, stakes paralyzed them rather than killing them, exposure to the sun was painful (but possible), they slept during the day (but in freezers, not coffins). But the person's basic nature didn't magically change overnight, they didn't lose their soul, they weren't evil. (Well, unless they started out that way.) I liked the fact that vampires had their own laws and rules, that they worked hard to co-exist with us mortals, and that they had even figured out a way to obtain their food without killing the providers. This was a kind of vampire I could totally understand.

And then there were the characters themselves. Mick was charming, compelling, devastatingly handsome, yet detached from the people who surrounded him. But although he kept his emotional distance, he was drawn to mortals, and determined to do what he could to help them. You could feel his yearning for them, but that detachment seemed impenetrable. Until Beth got into trouble, and he had to rescue her, and she hugged him... and his carefully constructed wall of detachment melted in front of our eyes. :melts: Josef swept into the show like a tsunami. He absolutely stole his scenes, but not in an annoying way. He had a powerful personality, acted as a sort of mentor to Mick, was all about enjoying life (or un-life) to its fullest. He was rich and powerful and totally in control. And when he bit the freshie and she swooned in obvious erotic bliss, well... :thud: He was brash, but he cared for Mick. And though he didn't understand Mick's fascination with us mortal ones, he respected it. Well, kinda. :snicker: And Guillermo was a working man, who had found the perfect niche for himself in the human world. He was Mick's "supply guy" for his bagged blood, and he was also a good source for information in Mick's cases. I loved his low-key character, and the fact that he held a position of respect in the community. Guillermo was in the morgue, partly, to make sure evidence of vampires didn't get noticed. He was good at his job and he was also extremely charming, in a completely different way from Mick and Josef.

Then there were the humans. Beth was strong, self-assured (well, mostly--she needed a bit of reassurance from Steve during her first live broadcast), and insatiably curious. She wasn't afraid to go into dangerous situations. Yet behind that strength was something else... we weren't sure what, not in that first episode, but we knew she had some locked-away memory, and that Mick triggered it somehow. She was interesting to me for her mystery as well as for her other, more obvious qualities. Steve was her cameraman, her friend, and a sort of grounding influence for her. Carl was great, in a different way. I loved his relationship with Beth. She drove him crazy, but she was a woman of her word and she gave back as much as she got from him, in terms of information. Plus, he was gorgeous and an incredibly snappy dresser. Then there was Maureen. I loved her! What a great, strong character for a woman to play. Moonlight was ahead of its time in its casting, I think. What a diverse cast it had, and we saw that from the first.

Well, I could go on and on, as you can see. :winky: I still think about Moonlight every day. I don't think I will ever get over my Moonlightaholism. And I don't want to. So let's have a toast to Moonlight, the amazing show that brought us together nine years ago. Here's to creators Trevor Munson and Ron Koslow, the wonderful writers, the directors and actors and set and costume designers, the lighting crew (special shout-out to them for the gorgeous way the show was shot), and all the other crew who made it happen. Thank you to all of them. They changed my life nine years ago.

LoveBite
Kostan Industries intern

Re: Happy ninth birthday to Moonlight!

Post by LoveBite »

Happy 9th Birthday to a wonderful show that still lives on and on and on ....

Love you forever Moonlight!

:champs: :champs: :champs:
Carol
~LoveBite
choccyterri
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by choccyterri »

:hearts: Oh Alle, what a wonderful way to remember everyone... :heart: Happy 9th Mooniversary to my lovely Moonlight family. :ghug: I'm so happy to have found such a warm and wonderful place to continue sharing memories and inspiration with people... :flowers:

“It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.”
― Marcus Aurelius.
Lilly
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by Lilly »

Alle, thank you for this. :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :heart:

Every single word rings true -- and I couldn't have said it any better. This show... was special. It caught us off guard. And it swept us off our feet. We fell hard. In a way, it was like an all-consuming crush, but the fact that we're still here 9 years later, with a very large place in our hearts for these characters, this city and the show that brought them to us, is testament to the fact that it changed our lives.

Some of us will never be the same. :rose:
Lilly

My Fanfic Index
Avatar from "Matasaburo of the Wind" © 2009 Alex Gross, used with the permission of the artist
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

I'll raise a glass :champs: to your lovely thoughts, alle :hug: Moonlight was unique, ahead of its time, but after all this time, still brings a smile to my face. The magic is eternal, just like Mick.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

Happy 9th Birthday Moonlight :celebrate: Moonlight was an amazing show that changed my life in so many ways. I am so glad it lead me to such a wonderful community.
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

People sometimes give me funny looks when I say a tv show changed my life. But it's true, and it continues. The love remains the same.
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Nine years? Already? It doesn't seem possible that it's been that long.

Thank you for our Moonlight home. :flowers: :ghug:
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
kath40
Cleaner

Post by kath40 »

:heart: Oh Alle such a wonderful sentiment whole heartily felt by all of us Moonlightaholics. Image

Moonlight has truly changed me in ways I never thought a little TV show could. I've never felt so close to a community of likely effected fans who have become my friends from all over the world. :ghug:
I've also never thought 9 years later I'd still be obsessed by this little show Moonlight or love the cast so much I've followed them into their future adventures in acting. I get so excited to see even the actor who played the doorman at club Valace pop up in a commercial or another TV show. It's like I know them personally as my beloved cast and everyone should know it. :yahoo: Moonlight music still makes my heart swell whenever or wherever I hear it. The scenes are still so vivid in my minds eye I drift off to that special place in my heart where my Moonlight memories live. :hearts:
I can also come hear to read Moonlight Fanfic whenever I need more adventures of Moonlight that we never got on screen, but live so wonderfully in the hearts of our wonderful writers. :reading:

Thank you MLA for this safe worm, understanding and loving site to continue my never ending obsession with Moonlight. Image

I've updated my current/old banner by giving it a little 9th anniversary spit and polish cause I still like it so much.
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Wonderful banner, Kath! :hearts:
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
AggieVamp
Rogue vampire

Post by AggieVamp »

WOW....where DOES the time go? I remember in the summer of 2007 while on vacation my friend (who worked for ABC @ the time) gave me a DVD of a new show's pilot..at the time it was named 'Twilight'...which of course became Moonlight. The connection to my other 'fascination' Beauty & the Beast was Ron Koslow - who co-created the show with Trevor Munson.. So, to me the 2 shows had a similar feel.

And Allegrita...your description of prior vampire shows/movies - nails EXACTLY how i felt about vampires at the time... But Moonlight changed all that (and of course I blame Lucky/Librarian for getting me off on a path of unusual book story lines I now read... :snicker:)

Here's to many more years of MLA & our lovely online family.

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Karen
Banner by HotMicks

Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional - and I Opt NOT to Grow Up!
:petcat: :petcat:

Return to “Moonlight's Ninth Anniversary - Sept. 28, 2016”