One Acquainted with the Night, PG-13, Champagne Challenge143

A place for LaughtersMelody's G to PG-13 stories
LaughtersMelody
Freelance freshie

One Acquainted with the Night, PG-13, Champagne Challenge143

Post by LaughtersMelody »

Title: One Acquainted with the Night
Rating: PG-13
Disclaimer: I do not own Moonlight, nor am I making any money from this, though I'm certainly having fun playing with the characters. No infringement intended.
Warnings: References to the life of a courtesan, but nothing graphic.
Summary: Coraline DuVall had never been afraid of the dark.

A/N: Written for Champagne Challenge #143: Nightfall. The title was taken from Robert Frost's poem. Coming across the poem is what inspired the fic. :blinksmile: You can read the poem here.

As always, I thank my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ who is the source of all inspiration.

~*~*~*~*~

One Acquainted with the Night

Coraline DuVall had never been afraid of the dark.

Her older brothers had locked her in the cellar once, thinking it a merry prank. The cellar had been cold, filled with old wine, and the stone walls were rough to the touch. Her brothers hadn’t opened the door until hours later, expecting to find their six-year-old sister in tears, begging to be saved from the monsters that lurked in the shadows. Instead, she’d only smiled, and walked away without a word.

Yet, though she had never feared the dark, it wasn’t until her mother’s death that Coraline began to equate the night with peace - a reprieve from her father’s constant yelling and her brothers' increasing cruelty. Every night, she waited until the rest of the household slept, and then made her way quietly from her room and into their little-used study. The smell of musty books tickled her nose as she sat on the window ledge, staring out into the darkness beyond, where the moon cast its silver light.

As Coraline grew, so too did the speculative gleam in her father’s eyes when he looked at her. She was sixteen the first time he brought her with him to the Court, still too young and too naive to realize what her father intended for her to do. But, she had learned quickly.

It was simple enough to charm the men her father wanted her to, in exchange for their favor and support before the king. Her father did not push her, at first, to offer them more than her company, but that eventually changed. The dead of night became a special refuge, then, when she was free from unwanted caresses and whispered endearments for a few precious hours.

Perhaps that was why, when the soldiers came for her with that infernal brand, Coraline ran into the night, trusting the darkness to protect her. It had, until news of a defiant courtesan spread and a mob rallied, their torches lighting the dark alley where she had hidden. It wasn't long before the searing pain from her shoulder and the scent of her own scorched flesh made her too weak to stand. So, Coraline lay there on the ground, silently yearning for the cool night air to wrap around her like a cloak, to sooth the fire still burning her skin.

Her place as a courtesan sealed, the night took on new life from that point forward. A courtesan never ceased to play the part expected of her, and so the hours after dark became a blur of illicit kisses and embraces, most from men far older than herself. She did not suffer - many showered her with jewels and affection, and she even came to revel in the power she had over them, those countless men who simpered and pleaded for her attention. But, nonetheless, she cherished those rare moments when the night was calm and still, when the darkness hid the secrets the light would reveal.

Perhaps it was fitting, then, that He came to her in one such moment. He appeared soundlessly in the room, the movement of the curtains the only indication of his entry. Tall and dressed in a black cloak, he blended seamlessly with the shadows. He extended his hand to her without a word, and she took it, sliding from beneath the silken sheets of the bed where she lay, unconcerned that she would wake the Duke next to her. The Duke had drunk heavily that night, and he did not hold his liquor well. He would sleep for hours yet.

The black-clad figure waited for her to retrieve her robe, then stepped outside to the balcony. She followed him from the room, curiosity mingling with something almost like anticipation.

It was there, on that balcony, that her world changed.

That man wove a tale more incredible than any she had heard before, filled with old battles, ancient rivalries, and long-standing claims to power. He had plans, many plans, and he wanted her to be a part of it all. Her brothers already were, and her father…her father was dead. She nodded, utterly unmoved by that fact, and listened with rapt attention as he told her of a strange new world, one of vampires and blood and endless nights, and she pulled her long hair aside before he even finished speaking, baring her throat to him in invitation.

After all, Coraline DuVall had never been afraid of the dark.

Fin

~*~*~*~*~

A/N: Thank you for reading, and of course, please let me know what you think! :blinksmile:

-Laughter
Last edited by LaughtersMelody on Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.

My Fanfiction Office.

Jesus is Lord.
BlueEyedMonster
Fledgling

Re: One Acquainted with the Night, PG-13, Champagne Challeng

Post by BlueEyedMonster »

Wonderful I could see the action as you weaved your words. Love your take on Coraline women like her are not born that way they are made usually by men. And you captured that perfectly. Amazing :clapping:
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Laughter

This was wonderful!

You have shown us a Coraline who is not a slave to her passions, but that didn't prevent her from being a slave to the passions of others. Both obedient and practical, she did as she was told and her father lost both her affection and respect, judging from her reaction when she learned of his death.

This unnamed vampire who Turned her showed her more kindness than most of her family.

Another interesting take--you believe that Coraline received the fleur de lis brand while still human and not while on the cure. Entirely possible, but I never considered it!

You've shown us the tip of the iceberg of a different Coraline. Perhaps Mick saw this Coraline in her eyes and fell in love with her, more than just a beauty in the red dress with the sparkler.

Fabulous job!!!!!

Thank you!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

the title brought Beauty and the beast to mind, as Vincent recited the lines ..."I am one acquainted with the night"...

I love this direction you've taken the challenge answer....soft as silk and dark as the inside of that cellar...this was beautiful! :clapping:
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

I really, really like this.
LaughtersMelody
Freelance freshie

Post by LaughtersMelody »

Just wanted to say thanks again to everyone who has so kindly reviewed. I'm so glad that you enjoyed it! :rose:

-Laughter

My Fanfiction Office.

Jesus is Lord.
Marigold
Courtesan

Post by Marigold »

This is fantastic! :notworthy: I love how you've portrayed night as a time of safety, comfort, and peace. :mooncat:
LaughtersMelody wrote:After all, Coraline DuVall had never been afraid of the dark.
What a perfect way to finish off the story! :twothumbs: Coraline has been through a lot, but she has remained brave and strong. She'll be ready for whatever awaits her in the future...

:thanks: Excellent contribution to the challenge, Laughter! :rose: :hearts:
Fantastic banner by Kath40! Thank you!
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

You really paint a picture with your words. I can see Coraline clearly, a woman made by her circumstances but not succumbing to the world around her but making it her own. I really like this. :flowers:
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

I very much like this picture of Coraline.

Return to “LaughtersMelody's Office”