Haunted, PG, Mick POV, Champagne Challenge #142

A place for LaughtersMelody's G to PG-13 stories
LaughtersMelody
Freelance freshie

Haunted, PG, Mick POV, Champagne Challenge #142

Post by LaughtersMelody »

Title: Haunted
Rating: PG
Disclaimer: I do not own Moonlight, nor am I making any money from this, though I'm certainly having fun playing with the characters. No infringement intended.
Warnings: None in this one.
Summary: The first time it happens, it’s the one-year anniversary of the night he’d killed Coraline.

A/N: Written for Champagne Challenge #142, Something with "Ghost" in it. :blinksmile:

As always, I thank my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ who is the source of all inspiration.

~*~*~*~*~

Haunted

The first time it happens, it’s the one-year anniversary of the night he’d killed Coraline.

He’s standing on the rooftop when there’s flash of red on the street below, a glimpse of dark hair.

Mick’s un-beating heart lurches in his chest.

But then…the specter disappears, and LA’s city streets are quiet once more, distant traffic the only noise.

He tells himself that he was imagining things.

~*~*~*~*~

The second time it happens, he’s working a case.

He’s in a crowded bar, tailing a husband whose wife is sure he’s cheating. So far, the only rendezvous this guy’s having is with beer. He’s on his third.

Mick keeps watching all the same, sipping from the brandy he’d ordered earlier, ignoring the waitress who hovers nearby, giving him pointed, flirtatious looks.

That’s when he sees her.

She’s sitting at the end of the bar, dressed in red, her hair falling around her shoulders in loose waves. She smiles when their eyes meet, that same sultry smile he remembers, filled with promises and danger.

He stands and tries to make his way towards her, but by the time he pushes through the crowd, she’s gone.

He describes her to the bartender, demanding to know which way she went.

The bartender asks how much he’s been drinking.

~*~*~*~*~

The third time it happens, he’s headed home, passing through an intersection.

She’s standing on the corner in that same red dress, watching as he drives by, her eyes dark and a little sad.

Mick slams on his brakes and jumps out of his car to confront her, to demand how she survived, what she wants.

But when he reaches the sidewalk, no one is there.

A car screeches to a stop behind his, just barely avoiding a collision. The driver starts yelling, cursing, and honking furiously.

Mick wonders if he’s losing his mind.

~*~*~*~*~

The fourth time it happens, Mick is in his office.

He’s filling out a report on his latest case and trying to organize the stack of other files, bills, and photographs littered across his desk.

Movement makes him look up, and his gaze lands on the door.

He can see her silhouette through the glass, the curl of her hair, the slope of her shoulders, the slender curve of her neck…

He leaps out of his chair and pulls the door open roughly.

But the hallway is empty, and even when a breeze blows through an open window, there’s no trace of her scent.

Mick walks back to his seat with slow steps, slumps over his desk, and puts his head in his hands.

He doesn’t get any more work done for the rest of the night.

~*~*~*~*~

The last time it happens, Mick is riddled with bullets and he can barely see straight.

Vampires can sustain a lot of damage and keep going, but taking a full clip to the chest leaves his shirt drenched with blood and his body screaming at him to replenish what he’s lost.

The trip back to his apartment will drain what little energy he has left. He doesn’t trust himself behind the wheel. If he crashes, people will stop to help him, and he'll either wind up feeding on someone or face exposure at a hospital.

So, he has no choice but to walk.

He makes it home and staggers to the kitchen, drinking all the blood he has in his refrigerator, taking great, desperate gulps, heedless of the rivulets running down his chin. Then, he stumbles to his freezer, strips off his bloody clothing, and climbs inside.

He’s nearly asleep when he senses her watching him; she’s a haze of red through the condensation on the glass. She’s frowning, worried as she reaches for the lid, opening it.

He wants to ask if she’s real or a dream, but exhaustion wins the battle, and his eyes drift shut against his will.

When he wakes up hours later, the lid is closed, but the sensation of her lips lingers on his cheek.

He tries to tell himself that the cold he feels is only from his freezer.

He never really believes it.

Fin

~*~*~*~*~

A/N: Thank you for reading, and of course, please let me know what you think! :blinksmile:

-Laughter
Last edited by LaughtersMelody on Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:10 am, edited 4 times in total.

My Fanfiction Office.

Jesus is Lord.
Lucy
Ancient

Re: Haunted, PG, Mick POV, Champagne Challenge #142

Post by Lucy »

WOW, yes....he is HAUNTED!

Powerful feelings expressed like the dashing thoughts he felt....BRAVA! You gave me the shivers...... :woohoo:
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Ooh, very nice, Laughter... it's a little shivery and a little sad, and very, very mysterious. Is it really her? Or is it his own sense of guilt and loss? If it's truly her, why doesn't he smell her? :chin:

If it is really her, no wonder he can't let her go. :Mickangel: And if it's his imagination, it's an indicator of how very unfinished that particular piece of business is. Either way, when she comes back in The Ringer, it's no wonder Mick looks like he's seen a ghost. (Again.) :gasp:
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

This is very well done, LM. It really feels like he's haunted, like the past catches up once in a while. No wonder, as alle said, that he thinks it's another ghost when he meets her in the Ringer. He must have been relieved and confused that she didn't vanish this time.
I wonder why she never talked to him before she became Morgan.
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

So Coraline is still playing games with Mick, this time from the great beyond. I wonder in the last haunting if Coraline is worried and sad that he might die and she doesn't want that for him, or if she's sad that he's not going to die, and therefore not "join" her as a ghost? :chin:

Well done and appropriately spooky! :mooncat:

:thanks:
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Nicely done, LM :hearts: Even after Mick thinks Coraline is gone, she's still haunting him. Or is it wishful thinking on his part?
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
Marigold
Courtesan

Post by Marigold »

This is fantastic, Laughter! :notworthy: I love the direction you went with this. Mick is haunted, in some way, shape, or form, by Coraline. :ghosty: :batseyes:

I really like the repetition you used throughout the story: "The first time it happens," "The second time it happens," etc.

Great job. Thank you! :rose: :hearts:
Fantastic banner by Kath40! Thank you!
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Laughter

This is fabulous!

The reader can sense Mick's feelings clearly here: confusion, attraction, regret and longing all mixed up together. Did that potent mixture conjure up her ghost or was Morgan playing with his mind? Either are possible.

very well done!

Thank you!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
Skylar
Freelance freshie

Post by Skylar »

:wave: LM, I'm new here and enjoying the bounty of stories. I really enjoyed this and love the way you structured it to add to the mood.
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

Laughter, I've fallen behind on reading challenges. This is great. Coraline is haunting Mick. He has so many different feelings for Coraline, it would haunt him after her "death".
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

I really do like the haunting of Coraline.

Return to “LaughtersMelody's Office”