Ella713
Courtesan

The Woman in Red Rated PG

Post by Ella713 »

Moonlight Fan Fiction
Woman in Red
By Ella713
Rated PG

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Mick read the letter twice before folding it back up. This was perhaps the biggest case of his career.
Edward Farmington was one of the wealthiest men on the West Coast and he
needed Mick’s help. Edward lived in a massive “San Simeon type of
property on the outskirts of Morrow Bay, California. He had recently
married a quiet mysterious raven haired beauty that had a slew of strange
phobias. From not going outdoors to not being looked at by anyone other
than her husband. It was on her behalf that Mick had been “besieged
to come at once”

Mick was intrigued, but first he would speak to Josef he decided as he
headed out the door.

Josef sat across from Mick reading the letter.
“Well, this is a big deal” Josef replied with a smile.
“I know. Before I accept I want to know about this guy”
Josef leaned back in his chair.
“Edward Farmington. He has the idiosyncratic behavior of Howard
Hughes and all the bravado of Ted Turner.
He married some woman from France I believe. One of those
sheltered paranoid types. Think a younger Grey Gardens and you’d be
close.” Josef said.
“Nothing else you can think of?” Mick asked.
“No. He has a ton of money. What they call old money meaning it was
brought here on the Mayflower kind of money. Handle him with kid gloves
Mick. A lot of people in the industry think he's 100% bat shit crazy” Josef
said with warning smile
“Great. Just what I need” Mick muttered as he walked out.

The next day Mick called Edward Farmington and told him he would drive
up to speak with him.
Mick pulled up to long driveway of the Farmington property which was
known as Cinderwiles. It was massive and boasted upon first glance somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 rooms! A well dressed butler was waiting for Mick at the gate. He stood tall and erect.
“Please come this way Mr. St. John” he said as Mick stepped out of the car. The butler led Mick into the foyer of the home and told him to wait.
Mick tried not to be impressed by the large estate, but it was hard not to be impressed. The dome ceiling looked to be done in gold! As in 24k freaking gold!
“This way” The Butler said to him, leading him into a large airy sitting room. “Mr. Farmington will be with you momentarily.” He said as he softly closed the door.

Edward Farmington was a tall somber looking gentleman. Clearly of the “old school” with his navy blazer and silk ascot as his throat.
“Mr. St John. Thank you so much for coming on such short notice” He said holding out his hand to Mick.
“Not a problem. Why don’t you tell me what you’d like me to do” Mick said. Edward motioned for him to take a seat.
“I hope that I can count on your discretion in this matter.” He said. Mick nodded his head. “My wife. She was born and raised in Paris. Her mother had died and she was raised by her father and older brother…..these men, if you can call them such….did unspeakable things to my wife. Owing to her fragile health and state of mind. Two weeks ago my wife received a letter from her father stating that he had sent her brother to bring her back to Paris. My wife of course refused, but now her brother comes to terrorize her. He leaves frightening letters and phone messages.” Edward explained becoming upset.
“And you want me to talk this brother?” Mick asked.
“Yes Mr. St. John!” I fear for my wife. I fear for her safety”
“Okay, what’s the brother’s name?” Mick said taking a notepad out of his jacket pocket.
“Leopold de Baptise. I’m afraid we don’t know where the vile man is staying” Edward said.
“No worries. I’ll take care of it” Mick said closing his notepad and placing it back into his coat. Edward stood up and walked over to his writing desk and pulled out his checkbook.
“I think this will cover your expenses” He said handing Mick a check.
Mick glanced at it briefly, and then stared again at the enormous sum.
“Mr. Farmington, this is three times my fee” Mick said.
“I want this man to leave my wife alone. I don’t care how much it costs” he said.
jen
Cleaner

Re: The Woman in Red

Post by jen »

Ella

Great start!

Don't precisely know why, but my 'Coraline' nerves are tingling. Maybe because for Mick, 'the woman in red' will probably always be this beautiful brunette carrying a sparkler at the party he was playing at in 1952. He got burned there and not by the sparkler.

If this guy was as rich as he obviously is, he could hire anybody. He probably owns a private investigation corporation or two so why is he shopping for a independent like Mick? Oh, sure, Mick is brilliant and all that, but did someone drop the name of this P.I. in his ear?

Then, there is Josef's assessment that the new client is 100% bat sjot crazy. People who are mentally impaired may be easily influenced.

Looking forward to more!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

This sounds so much like Coraline. Is it Lance who is after her? And why would Mick be involved? Can't wait to find out what kind of mess Mick is getting into.
Ella713
Courtesan

Post by Ella713 »

:snicker:

“Hey babe, have you ever heard of a man named Edward Farmington?” Mick asked Beth when he got home.
“Sure. He’s loaded. He’s dabbled in the movie industry, publishing, medical research even politics. Why?”
“He’s hired me. Apparently his wife’s brother is harassing her and he wants it to stop.”
“Okay. But why didn’t he just call the police and take out a restraining order?” Beth asked thinking it sounded sort of strange.
“I guess he’s concerned about privacy. Josef said he’s crazy” Mick said.
“Well, he’s definitely not playing with a full deck. Five years ago he said he was running for mayor, and then a week before the election had some kind of mental break. Onset Alzheimer’s maybe. So what are you going to do?”
“First thing I’m going to do is ask Ted if he can find me any background on Farmington, his wife and her family.” Mick said.

Ted was who you went to when you wanted to uncover everything in a person’s life. Between Ted and his co worker Samantha, no stone was ever left unturned.
Ted and Sam listened intently as Mick explained what he wanted them to do.

Madeline Farmington stood by the window watching the leaves fall.
She loved this time of year. She heard her husband climbing the stairs.
“How are you feeling darling?” He asked softly.
“A little better. What did the detective say?” she asked never turning her head from the window.
“He said he would find your brother and talk to him” He said placing his arms on her shoulders. “How did you know of this P.I?” he asked.
She slowly turned to face him.
“The Gardner. I heard him speak of a case that St. John had handled for him”
Edward nodded absently.
“I hope you weren’t out in the sun for too long my dear” He said in a worried voice.

Ted and Sam immediately got work. Within a few hours they compiled tons of information of Edward Farmington, his wife however was not so easy. They could find no birth record at all for a Madeline de Baptise anywhere in Europe. It was like she didn’t exist until her marriage.
“I don’t get this” Ted said shaking his head. “Everyone leaves a paper trail”
“Apparently everyone but this woman” Sam said.
“But that’s impossible! She’s from Paris, there should be some record of how she got here. This woman doesn’t even have a passport!” Ted exclaimed.
“Okay, so let’s assume that she’s running a scam on this old guy and she’s really from the U.S.” Sam said.
“That means her real name could anything.” Ted said. Sam suddenly looked up.
“I got a photo!” she said in a sing song voice. Ted jumped up and ran behind her to look.
“Some tabloid photographer got a shot of the happy couple as they boarded his private yacht for their honeymoon to Barbados”
Ted looked over Sam’s shoulder. The woman was beautiful and young. She couldn’t be no more than 30 years old. Her long dark hair was covered by a large sun hat but the face was clearly visible.
“Edward Farmington, you dirty dog” Sam said with smile.

Mick met Ted at Josef’s office. Mick looked at the photo with unbelieving eyes. Coraline.
But how was that possible? The last time he saw her Lance was taking away.
“Do you know her Mick?” Ted asked.
“Yeah. I know her” Mick said and walked away. Josef glanced at the photo them closed his eyes.
“Are you freaking kidding me!” He yelled. “How many lives does this woman have?”
“Who is she?” Ted asked meekly.
“Nobody good” Mick said.
Ted glanced back and forth from Mick to Josef, but could tell he was not going to get any information.
“Well, if that’s all you need, I’m going to head back to the office” He said taking his leave.

“What the hell is she doing back here?” Josef asked rising from his chair.
“I don’t know Josef but whatever she’s up to it’s going to be bad for all of us” Mick said,
“Well, mainly you” Josef cracked.
“And Beth” Mick said at last.
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Figures.

I wonder what Coraline is doing. Josef gave Beth the obvious answer when he told her that if Coraline was back, she was back for Mick. Edward Farmington is clearly wealthy, but sometimes things are not so clear cut. Could she actually have fallen in love with this man? I know it is unlikely given her past history, but on occasion the last thing you consider possible turns out to be correct.

Then, I could be nuts.

Time will tell! Great job!

Thank you!

Jenna

Ella713
Courtesan

Post by Ella713 »

Jen you and Francis guessed Coraline too quickly! :D I should have known I wouldn't have been able to get that past you two!
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Sorry about that.

Note to self--try shutting up and waiting for things to play out.

I'll do better next time.
Ella713
Courtesan

Post by Ella713 »

Jen don't you dare! :snicker: I value the opinons of you two more than you know. Sometimes I have no idea what direction a story is going to go, then I'll read one of your comments and it all makes sense!
BlueEyedMonster
Fledgling

Post by BlueEyedMonster »

I was thinking it might be Ms. C OK great start can't wait to see how this plays oit
maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

Intruiging beginning , Ella..I wonder if the milionaire paid all that money to Mick to just talk to his brother in law...What does he expect him to do? And for a big fish he seems kind of naif...his aristocratic french wife told him to hire a PI whose name she had heard from the Gardner? :chin:
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .
Ella713
Courtesan

Post by Ella713 »

Leopold de Baptise was an Ancient and used to getting his way, so he was perplexed that he had not be able to penetrate the Farmington home. Coraline was his property and would always be his property. When her brother Lance had brought her back to him he was content to make her pay for her deceit. It was by his own arrogance that he became complacent and Coraline had escaped. But after a year of searching he had now found her and he would have her again.

He paced the parameter of the large estate trying to find a way to get him, but it was useless. There was some kind of magic afoot that was preventing him form entering the property. He would find a way to break it and Coraline would be his again. Only this time he would make her existence unbearable.

Mick sat down with Beth and she knew immediately that it was not going to be good news.
“Coraline’s back” He said simply. It took Beth a long time to forget the betrayal of Coraline. For kidnapping her. For returning and pretending to be her friend. Beth was wracked with guilt over staking her, but her guilt had more to do with Mick’s grief over it.
“Why is she back? What does she want?” Beth said staring straight ahead.
“Babe. I don’t think she’s here for me.” He said lightly touching her hand. “It’s her brother Lance. He’s after her.”
“So” Beth said finally looking at Mick for the first time.
“Farmington wants me to stop him”
“Can you?”
“No. Lance is too powerful. But I can at least try and reason with him”
“So you’re going to try and save her again” Beth said “Why? Why you?”
“There’s no one else babe. You know that.” Mick said. He stood up and kissed her on the cheek. “I’ll be back as soon as I can”
It took Beth all of two seconds to decide. She pulled out her cell phone and called Brian. If Lance and Coraline thought they were going to disrupt all their lives they had another thing coming.

Mick went to Logan. Maybe between the two of them they would be able to find Lance.

“Mick, long time no see” Logan said never taking his eyes off his Call of Duty war game.
“Logan, I need to find a vampire from Paris who may have just arrived in town. A guy by the name of Lance Duvall” Mick said pulling some cash out of his wallet.
Logan took the cash, sighed and turned off the computer game.
“Okay, Lance Duvall…let me see…..” he said as he began to type quickly over the keyboard. Then he stopped and looked at Mick. “Wait…are we talking about Lance Duvall as in Coraline?” he asked suddenly.
“Yeah”
“Does Josef know?” Logan asked in surprise.
“Yeah Logan he knows. We’re trying to get this matter resolved as fast as we can. So……?” Mick said motioning to the computer.
Logan typed some more then slowly shook his head.
“No Lance Duvall, of course he could be going by an alias or he didn’t take commercial transport of you know what I mean.” Logan said.
“Okay, thank Logan.” Mick said not knowing what to do next.

Mick’s phone began to ring and he answered it immediately.
“Mick its Josef. I need you to meet me at Emma’s house as soon as you can” Josef said and hung up.

Emma Thibodaux was an old Haitian voodoo priestess that Josef had met while in New York. She was a valuable resource and came in handy when dealing with all things supernatural. If Josef wanted to meet there then something was definitely up. Mick pulled up to the tiny bungalow and knocked on the door. He saw Emma sitting across from Josef.
“Mr. St. John. Have a seat.” The old woman said to him.
“Emma’s been telling me that a vampire paid her a visit. It was Coraline.” Josef started to say.
“The dead woman come to me and say she a friend of Josef. I know what she said was truth. She say she need something to repel her kind. I give her what she ask for.” Emma said he blind eyes staring straight ahead.
“What did you give her?” Mick asked
“What I give her is of no mind to you. But what come after her won’t get in”
“But Emma, I was at her house. It didn’t repel me” Mick said becoming frustrated.
“That is because it was not mean for you. But for the other that comes”
“Emma, did she give you a name? Was it Lance?” Mick pleaded.
“The dead woman say no name. Just what was needed” Emma replied.
Josef leaned forward.
“Emma, did you sense anything” Josef asked.
“The dead woman is scared. Scared for her husband. The one that come for her, wants to hurt her. That I know for sure.” She said.
“So what you gave her will keep the man from getting to her?” Mick asked.
Emma nodded.
“But she cannot leave the house. If she leave the spell will work no more” Emma said finally.
BlueEyedMonster
Fledgling

Post by BlueEyedMonster »

I'm intrigued very descriptive writing pulling you right into the story. :clapping: WTH does Corline want now :eyeroll:

Patiently waiting for more (OK maybe not so patiently )
maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

So Leopold is not Lance...and Coraline had been married with Leopold before Mick...or promised to him.. :chin: And there is magic involved ...I am so worried that Mick will have to come face to face with Leopold sooner or later..but it might be interesting!
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Now that is something no one could see coming!

Is Coraline afraid for her current husband or is she scared of this Leopold, who may or may not have been her husband in the past.

And the voodoo priestess is another angle that brings in some intriguing possibilities. I don't know if this is accurate or not, but did Coraline provide something personal item, a lock of hair, a bit of fingernail that was used to make this spell to repel Leopold or is it more general. Could it repel anyone else or only Leopold. If he learns the parameters of this magic, all he need to is find someone else to bring Coraline out.

Anxious to see where this goes!

Thank you!

Jenna

Ella713
Courtesan

Post by Ella713 »

You're welcome Jen and thanks as always for the input!

Coraline stared out the window. That seemed to be all she could do these days. If she stepped outside even for a moment Leopold would take her back. All of this was Lance’s fault. So much were his gambling debts that he sold his own sister. He said that it was her penance for stealing the compound. And for turning Mick without asking permission.

As long as she could remember, she was always running away from something. And for the first time in her life, she was running towards something. Her marriage to Edward had been a dream come true. When she told him what she was, he loved her still. And now he was willing to pay a king’s ransom to keep her safe.

And then there was Mick. So happy in his life with Beth. As much as she loved him, she did not want to destroy what he had. Destroy his family. But she had no one else to turn to. Maybe he could really help.

Mick heard his phone ring in the kitchen and went to pick it up.
“Mick, its Logan. You wanted to know if anyone from Paris had showed up in Los Angeles, well a contact of mine at the Dearborn Hotel, said a very old vamp by the name of Leopold de Baptise checked in about two weeks ago. And hasn’t checked out.” Logan said in a rush.
“The Dearborn Hotel? Ok, thanks Logan” Mick said and hung up.
Now Mick had an address. All he had to do was figure out how he would talk to this guy without getting hurt himself.

He looked at his watch. Might as well get it over with he thought to himself.
Suddenly there was a knock at the door. He opened it to see Brian standing there.
“Brian, I can’t talk right now, but maybe we can meet up tomorrow” Mick said quickly.
“I’m here dad to offer my help. Mom told me about Edward Farmington and his wife…..your ex wife. You have to let me go with you.” Brian said.
Mick looked at his son and shook his head slowly.
“Brian, I know you mean well, but this vampire is really old. I don’t even know if I can do anything.” He explained.
“Well the two of us together might make him back down. Dad please don’t do this alone. If not me, please call Isabelle”

Mick thought for a moment. Brian did have some incredible gifts. Perhaps with Brian at his side, the vamp would back off.
“Okay Brian. Let’s go. He’s staying at the Dearborn Hotel”

Leopold checked his reflection in the mirror then he looked at the young man lying on his bed. He was now in the fever stage. He would have to feed soon. And he knew exactly who he could feed on. He threw the young man over his shoulder and lightly jumped out of the hotel window and into the alley below. His car and driver awaited him.

Mick and Brian were driving to the Dearborn Hotel. Brian went very still.
“What is it?” Mick asked anxiously.
“He is no longer at the hotel.” Brian said. “He is gone. I do not know where”
“I do” Mick said turning the car around and heading for Edward Farmington’s house.

Mick sped down the highway hoping that whatever hocus pocus Emma had done would be able to hold the vamp off until they arrived.

Edward Farmington sat in his favorite chair in his study listening to his beautiful wife read to him. The sun was setting behind and gave the room a golden hue. This was his favorite part of the day. He and Coraline would sit and sip sherry. Then she would pull out a book of poetry and read out loud to him. It always amazed him that such a simple gesture could be so sensual at the same time and he loved her for it. So lost he was in his thoughts that he suddenly noticed that she had stopped reading.
“Why have you stopped my dear?” He asked looking at her.
“Because that is the end” She said with serene smile.

They heard a car pull up and they both stood and went to the window.

“It’s Leopold!” Coraline gasped as she backed away from the window.
Edward went towards her grabbed her hand and kissed it.
“Go my love! Lock the door”
“No! I won’t leave you!” Coraline pleaded then she stopped. “Mick is here!” she said.

Mick and Brian pulled up as Leopold and his fledgling were stepping out the car. The ancient vampire turned to face them.
“What is your business here?” He said to them
“I might ask you the same thing” Mick said.
“My business here doesn’t concern you. Coraline is mine! And she will yield to me or be destroyed!”
“I don’t think so” Mick said

The young man beside Leopold was deep into the fever stage. He needed to feed.
“oh…god!” the young man groaned “what’s happening to me?” he cried out.
Leopold looked down at the young man in disgust.
“What you need is in that house” Leopold said pointing. The young man ran full speed towards the house. Mick took off after him.
Mick caught up with man and threw him to the ground. The man fought wildly.

Brian and Leopold studied each other trying to ascertain the strength and weakness of the other. Leopold circled round him.
“Who are you?’ Leopold asked staring intently.
“You don’t want to know” Brian said confidently.
Leopold threw himself at Brian in a blind rage. Brian stood still and did not move. When Leopold collided into him Brian still stood.
Leopold fell hard to the ground. It was like running into the brick wall.
“What are you?” he gasped in wonder.
“I am Dragos” Brian said. He saw the vampire’s face contort in fear.

Mick held tightly to newborn. Spying a rake left in the grass he picked it up and staked the young man. He turned to see Brian speaking with Leopold.
Mick ran into the large house.
“Coraline! Edward!” he called out. He heard a door open and Coraline ran to him.
“Mick!” She said and ran into his arms.
“It’s okay. Everything is alright.” He said
“Is it over?” She asked in a small voice.
“Yeah.” Mick said as Brian walked into the house.
“He will bother you no more” Brian said looking at the beautiful vampire.
“Who are you?” Coraline said sensing that this young man was no ordinary vampire. Brian said nothing and walked out of the house.

“Where is Mr. Farmington?” Mick asked noticing that he wasn’t around. Coraline diverted her eyes from him.
“You turned him” Mick said. More of a statement than a question.
“He begged me to” She said. “He thought he could protect me better”
Mick shook his head slowly and thought of his own turning.
“Mick I love him. After all these years, I’ve finally found the love that I had been desperately searching for” She said. “We will be happy together. Forever”

“I hope so Coraline” Mick said sadly and walked out of the house, noticing that the newborn vampire had been removed.

Beth was waiting for him when he came in. Mick knew she was still upset so he said nothing.
“Is everything alright?” She finally asked.
“Everything is fine babe. Coraline won’t be a problem anymore”
“You said that a long time ago” Beth said unconvinced.

Edward again sat in his favorite chair in his study and stared at his beautiful wife as she read poetry to him, sitting cross legged on the floor beside him with her head against his thigh. He watched the sun set and again thought how lucky he was.

The End

Return to “Ella713's Office”