The Big Scoop by Ella713 Rated PG

A place for Ella713's G to PG-13 stories
Ella713
Courtesan

The Big Scoop by Ella713 Rated PG

Post by Ella713 »

A new story about a tabloid reporter who finds out that vampires really do exsist! :o

Moonlight Fanfiction
The Big Scoop
By Ella713
Rated PG

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

“My name is Leonard Miles. I am a reporter for the Los Angeles Scoop. Now I know what you’re thinking. Trashy tabloid mag. And, well yeah, there is that aspect to it, but yours truly is a serious investigative journalist. And today my dear readers, I have stumbled upon the most amazing story ever. The existence of vampires right here in Los Angeles! I can imagine the look on your faces. The roll of the eyes, but I assure you all they do indeed exist. And my three part series will pull back the curtain so to speak and expose their much hidden world. The world they do not want us to see. The high ranking positions that some hold in entertainment, law enforcement and yes readers, even government. For today, I was handed a list. A list that included the names of every vampire living in our fair city. So stay tuned and until then watch your necks!”

“Len, this is great!” Arnold Mason shouted. “We are going to sell so many papers! What made you think of vampires?”
“Pure talent Arnie. What can I say?” Leonard said with a smile.
“Well. Good job. Let’s send this intro out in this evening edition” he said walking away happily.
Leonard leaned back in his chair away from his desk thinking about that beautiful woman who came into his office 3 years ago. She said she had proof that vampires existed and she handed him a list. He didn’t believe her of course. But something about the way she looked. She looked so beautiful that she appeared to not be human at all. She sat so perfectly still and to Leonard, he could have sworn that she didn’t breathe. It was then that he decided to look into her claims. He picked a random name off the list. Lisa Parker. A college student at UCLA. Leonard followed her for two weeks. She was a very perky cheerleader. Partied A LOT! He had just about given up on the whole idea when he finally saw it with his own eyes. She was making out in a car with some young man and that’s when he saw the glow of her eyes and length of her fangs. He knew then that what Emma Monaghan had told him was indeed true.
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: The Big Scoop by Ella713 Rated PG

Post by francis »

Oooohhhh! This is fabulous as a storyline! I wondered already what would happen if Beth hadn't kept her mouth shut, this is even better!
Ella713
Courtesan

Post by Ella713 »

Beth read the article four times before sitting it aside. She generally never read magazines like The Scoop, but she knew Leonard Miles. They had worked together at Buzzwire before it was bought out by some corporate outfit. He was a great journalist so this was all very confusing. Surely it was just some gimmick to sell papers. The Scoop was known for doing things like that then issuing a hasty retraction. Maybe it was nothing to worry about. In any case, maybe she should call Leonard and see if he wanted to have lunch.

Arnold Mason the editor of The Scoop was in high spirits. Ever since they printed their evening edition, they were besieged with calls and emails telling them of vampire hangouts, and dungeons. This was going to be huge! He could just feel it!

ADA Benjamin Talbot looked up from his computer when he saw his assistant come into his office.
“What’s going on Frank?” Frank had a copy of The Scoop under his arm.
“Well, there’s this” he said laying it down in front of Talbot.
“The Scoop? Why would I be interested in anything that rag had to report?”
“That rag as you call it, has set the city on its ass with this story!”
Talbot picked it up and started to read the cover story. His eyebrows went up in amusement.
“Vampires? You’re joking right? Who’s going to believe that?” he laughed tossing the magazine aside.
“The LAPD has gotten over 100 calls today alone with reports of suspicious vampire activity in the area. Not to mention the speculation about this so called list of vampires in Los Angeles”
‘Wait, you’re telling me that people are actually buying this crap?”
Frank nodded his head slowly.
“Get Carl Davis on the line!” Talbot said annoyed.

Josef paced his office waiting for Mick’s arrival. Mick knew it was something big because Josef spoke of calling a meeting. And that meant Balthazar, Isabelle Julian, Brian and quite possibly Ansgar. Something had happened. And Mick wasn’t sure if wanted to find out.
Mick walked into Josef’s office and saw apart from Ansgar everyone had already arrived.
“”What’s happened?” Mick asked anxiously. Isabelle handed him the article. Mick quickly read it and looked up at Josef.
“Do you think Emma already given out the list?”
“We don’t know Mick, but that has to be our first priority. We need to find out every thing there is to know about Leonard Miles and this magazine.”
“Is there anything left over at Jackson and Emma’s?” Mick asked
“No, everything was destroyed” Isabelle said.
“I’ll look into it” Mick said turning to leave.
“Mick!” Josef called out. “If this is headed they way I think it is we need to began preparing relocation.”
Mick nodded and left. In his 90+ years, he had never had to relocate, but many older vamps had done so multiple times for whatever reason. But this relocation might require many vampires into ground for 50 years or more. And that chilled Mick to the bone. Vampires were at their weakest when they went into ground. Immobile in the earth while life continued above.

“Beth! I am so glad you called!” Leonard gushed as he gave her a hug.
“How are you doing Len?” Beth asked taking a seat across from him.
“I’m sure you’ve read the article” he said.
“Yeah. I read it this morning. Len is this some kind of stunt?’
“Beth I wish it was. Listen, I’m only going to tell you this because we go way back, but a few years ago this gorgeous woman came to my office and said she the biggest story of all time. She said she had the names of over 300 vampires living in Los Angeles. Now, you know me. I was getting ready to tell her to stay on her meds, but Beth, she was telling the truth. I just picked out one random name on that list and followed that person. I saw it for myself” he said in whispers.
“Leonard, what do you think you saw?” Beth asked cautiously.
“This cute little college cheerleader taking a bite out of some young punk in the back of a car.”
“Did you get pictures or anything?” Beth asked.
“Hell no Beth. I ran my ass out of there! But as I said, there are over 300 names on that list, and that was just one”
“Leonard, your not going to publish that list are you?”
“Hell no! You think I want 300 of the undead after my ass!”
“Leonard, I think you should drop this story. Something like this isn’t safe”
“Why? Wait…..Beth do you know something?” He asked looking her in the eye.
“Len what I’m about to tell you is confidential ok? That woman you said gave you the list, she was arrested for the murder of Dominic Brewer the basketball player. She hinted to police that she had a list of some kind. And both her and her husband disappeared! Without a trace. That sounds like some kind of mob hit. Not vampires!” Beth said convincingly.
“Are you serious?’ Leonard asked in surprise.
“Yes. Read the file. Jackson and Emma disappeared after someone broke her out of police custody. No bodies were ever found. Leonard for the love of God, please drop this” Beth pleaded.
“I think you may be right Beth. This is a little hot for me” he sighed thinking how upset Arnold was going to be. But hey, he loved a juicy story, but no story was worth dying over!
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Good move, Beth. A little distraction may just keep this guy out of the tarpits, then again there is that wonderful line from a fic I read sometime back and don't remember which one it was. Someone stumbled onto the secret and the question was put to Josef how it would be dealt with, 'payroll or tarpits?'

Beth kept the secret. She was falling i love with Mick and had all those half forgotten memories of her rescue. This guy doesn't have the benefit of those ties to keep him from doing something potentially fatal.

Great start!
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

:clapping: :clapping: I have been waiting all morning for the update to your prologue, Ella, thanks. This beginning is fascinating. :flowers:
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .
Ella713
Courtesan

Post by Ella713 »

Talbot unlocked his desk drawer and pulled out the list that had been slipped under his door. He had forgotten about until now. He looked at the names on the list. Some where a little too familiar……like Mick St. John and some were down right terrifying to even consider like Josef Kostan. An accusation like this would bring out an army of attorneys from Kostan Industries and that would mean the loss of his job. Vampires? He thought. That was just crazy! He put the list back into his drawer and locked it,

As Mick drove he thought about that name Leonard Miles. He could have sworn that there was a reporter at Buzzwire by that name. He pulled out his cell phone called Beth.
“Mick, we have to meet!” She said in a hurried voice.
“Babe I know. I’m just coming from Josef’s office. Listen was there a reporter at Buzzwire named Leonard Miles?”
“Yeah, I just met him for lunch.”
“Where are you”
“I’m headed back home”
“I’ll see you there in 15 minutes” Mick said and hung up.

Mick hurried into the apartment.
“Good you’re here.” Beth said.
“Tell me what you found out”
“Well I called Leonard and arranged to meet him for lunch. He told me that Emma Monoghan came to his office, told him that vampires existed in Los Angeles and gave him a list of 300 names. He said he picked out one name from the list just to follow them around. But he said he saw this girl feed on some kid!”
“Did he say who the vamp was?”
“Yeah, someone named Lisa Parker. Do you know her?” Beth asked.
Mick held his head down.
“Yeah I know her”

“Mick, I told Leonard that Emma was arrested on suspicion of murder and was trying to buy her way out of rap by giving the police some names. I kind of hinted they might be mob related. I also hinted that Jackson and Emma were executed. Len is scared. I think he’s going to drop the story”
“Babe are you sure”
“Yeah I’m pretty sure. He was shaking when I told him”
“We need to call the kids here to them what going on. Josef thinks we should pre pare for an evacuation”
“Evacuation? You mean leave the city? Where would we go?”
“I don’t know babe. To another state, another country. Josef didn’t say”
“Honey we have to make sure Leonard drops this story!”
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Very interesting start! I'm a little worried because Leonard didn't say Emma's name to Beth - she just came up with it. I hope Leonard doesn't pick up on that and wants to start following Beth to see what she knows!

Looking forward to more.
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

Ella713 wrote: But this relocation might require many vampires into ground for 50 years or more. And that chilled Mick to the bone. Vampires were at their weakest when they went into ground. Immobile in the earth while life continued above.
That is one awful perspective, Ella!! You cannot have a Josef Konstan in his Armani suit buried into ground!! :no: Or , can you? :dizzy:

And my God, MLC, I didn't notice that, thanks for pointing it out. Now ,Beth has made a serious mistake and put also herself in danger.But ,don't you think Leonard having the list must already know about her relationship to vampires and Mick and maybe pretending to be shocked and afraid? :chin:
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .
Ella713
Courtesan

Post by Ella713 »

Arnold stared at Leonard for a long time before exploding.
“No way Len!” He said standing up “This story is going to run until it’s completed! This vampire thing is the talk of town. There’s even talk about people in Las Vegas taking bets on who’s on the list!”
“Arnie I know, but I have a source that thinks this story might be dangerous”
“Information is always dangerous. That’s why we have the First Amendment!” He screamed. Leonard knew Arnie was right. There was freedom of the press to think about and that was something he had always believed in.
“Alright. I’ll continue the series” He said warily.

It wasn’t until he was back in his apartment and was looking at the names on the list that it hit him. He put his reading glasses on to be sure.
Mick St. John! That was Beth’s husband! Damn it! He thought. She was trying to lead him away from this story because her own damn husband was on the list! Holy shit! Mick St. John was a vampire? Leonard jumped off the sofa and ran out the door. He kept shaking his head while he was driving. He couldn’t believe that Beth lied to him. He couldn’t believe that she actually married a freaking vampire! She knew all along. He pulled up to their apartment and rang the buzzer. Over and Over.
“Hello” a muffled voice said over the intercom
“Beth! It’s Leonard. I need to talk to you!”
“Who?...you’ve got the wrong apartment” the sleepy voice said.
“Beth St. John! She lives here?” He asked.
“Oh, they moved a long time ago dude” the voice said becoming annoyed
“Where?” Leonard asked anxiously
“How the hell would I know!” the voice said followed by a loud click
“Damn!” Leonard muttered
Kara
Fledgling

Post by Kara »

Oh Ella. Sorry I was gone a long time. But this is just terrific and terrifying at the same time. Now Len knows or think Mick is a vamp. :eek2: And did they move already? Wow.

More please. Thanks Ella. :flowers:
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Uh oh... he's onto Beth! :gasp:
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
Ella713
Courtesan

Post by Ella713 »

Balthazar stood in front of a group of vampires that totaled 75. Among them were doctors, lawyers, politicians, law enforcement and corporate CEO’s.

“We stand here due to the treachery of one of our own. Emma Monoghan put us all at risk. I will hear from Mark Malone”
Mark Malone stood up; he was the Chief of Police in Los Angeles.
“Since we have no idea who else Emma gave than damn list to, I think relocation may be our only option”
Claude Brewster who once considered for the Senate stood up.
“Relocation will be harder for some. I and others have billions of dollars invested. We can’t simply liquidate those assets over night. That takes time”
Josef agreed.
“Claude is right. We are both heavily involved in the NYSE. To simply pull everything we have out of the markets would mean a collapse of the economy. No one at NASDAQ will allow that”
“What do you propose?” Balthazar asked. Mick came forward.
“Look, first we need to get to this Leonard Miles. Find out what he knows and find out who else Emma may have given that list to. Once we find out that information, then we know where we stand.”
Barbara Lyons a homicide detective and vampire of maybe of maybe 75 years stood up and spoke.
“I know who has a copy of the list” she said. “ADA Benjamin Talbot. And possibly Lt. Carl Davis. I overheard them discussing it not long ago, after the Santa murders”
“Are you sure?” Mick asked.
“About Talbot definitely, Davis….I’m not sure. But he definitely knows of its existence”
Mick didn’t want to hear this. Carl was his friend. A really good friend. But none of that mattered now. He was a threat.

Leonard gave up trying to find out where Beth had moved and settled for just calling her up. She answered on the first ring.
“Hello”
“Beth, its Leonard again. Look, I know I said I would leave that story alone, but I think someone’s following me. I can’t be sure…but I’m sitting in the large coffee diner on Elm, could you meet me here?”
“Leonard, stay put I’m on my way, ok?” she said and hung up. She had opened up the door to find Brian standing there.
“Brian honey, I’m on my way out, can we talk later?” She said in a hurried voice. Brian said nothing for a few seconds.
“Uh, sure mom. I just came to talk to dad about something”
“You can wait here. I gotta run” she said and ran off. Brian waited for exactly 60 seconds and took off after her.
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

There is an easy answer here but things rarely resolve easily or simply for the vampires.

Josef is correct. As much money as is invested in the stock market by the vampires, should it be liquidated all at once would mean the dollar would collapse, and along with it the rest of the economy. I would suspect that a vampire doesn't keep all their money in difficult to liquidate assets for this very reason.

As a corollary to the old saw, 'shit happens' I would add, 'at the worst possible time'.

I'll bet Josef has a percentage of his assets in bearer bonds or socked away in various locations as a 'grub stake' for the next fortune that he has to build. Also, I'll warrant he has done it before.

This will be harder for the younger ones, like Mick and Beth, Logan and anyone who has never been forced to relocate.

Redirection is still a good option. Just no longer sure it will work here.

Thanks!
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
Ella713
Courtesan

Post by Ella713 »

Brian kept a safe distance from Beth but followed her steadily. She pulled up to an all night diner and ran inside.
“Len! Are you okay?” She said breathlessly
“Yeah, I think I’m okay. Have a seat” he said motioning for her to sit at his booth.
“Who do you think was following you?” Beth asked.
“Why don’t you tell me?” He replied.
“Len, what are you talking about? I don’t know who was following you”
“Maybe it was your vampire husband” he said in a whisper.
“My what?” Beth asked
“You heard me Beth. I saw your husband’s name on that list. Then you know what I realized? I never told you where the list came from, but you knew it Emma Monoghan. Then you tried to convince me that it was some mob list. Now I see you just didn’t want it known that your husband is some kind of undead freak!”
“Leonard, I don’t know what you’re talking about but it sounds crazy I think maybe we should call somebody” she started to say, but Leonard quickly snatched the phone out of her hand.
“Calling your vampire buddies? I don’t think so Beth. You’re not gong to put me up on a serving platter. I’m just trying to get to the truth. You used to care about that remember?” Beth looked around then stood up.
“I’m leaving Len. You need help” she said grabbing her handbag. Leonard suddenly grabbed her arm hard. Brian was outside watching the whole scene. He focused all of his energy on the man grabbing Beth.
Leonard let go of Beth’s arm and began clutching his chest.
“Somebody help!” Beth yelled “I think he’s having a heart attack!”
Brian quickly turned away from the diner and proceeded home.

Mick went to Gabriel apartment.
“Hey son. Do have a minute?” he asked.
“Sure dad, come on in”
“Do you know the Assistant District Attorney?” Mick asked
“Ben Talbot? Yeah, I’ve met him a couple of times. Why what’s up?”

Mick sat Gabriel down and told him the whole story. He told him about Jackson and Emma, the list, the possibility of relocation and what that entailed and where Balthazar and others stood on the issue.

“Do you think there's another way? Please say you do!” Gabriel asked.
Yeah, I do think there's another way. But it’s a little risky. I mean we can’t get caught.”

“Ok dad. Tell me what you want me to do” Gabriel said.

Beth called Mick three times and finally he answered.
“Hey babe, where are you?” Mick asked.
“I’m at Mercy General. Leonard Miles had a heart attack. He’s in the ICU”
“What happened?”
“He tricked me into meeting him at a diner and told me…Mick he told me your name is on the list.”
“Babe, I need you to go get Zoe and head for Josef’s place. Stay there until I get done. Hopefully this will all be over soon” He said.
“Mick, be careful”
“I will. Love you” he said and hung up.
“Gabe call your brother” Mick said as they headed out the door.

Mick was parked outside the District Attorneys office with Gabriel and Brian.
“Dad, you know that if we get caught……” Gabriel started to say.
“Gabe I know. This is a huge risk, but there’s a lot at stake.” Mick said. Gabriel held his head down.
“I can’t believe I’m going to help kidnap the Assistant District Attorney of Los Angeles” he said under his breath.
Ella713
Courtesan

Post by Ella713 »

“How many lawyers get a chance to say that?” Brian asked. “Ok Gabe, what floor is he on?”
“8th floor” Gabe sighed.

Gabriel got out of the car and walked into the building.
“Hello Pete, how’s it going?” Gabriel said cheerily to the security guard.
“Doing fine Gabe, You working late again?”
“Yeah, one day I’ll take a vacation” Gabriel said. “Is ADA Talbot still here?”
“Yeah, that one never leaves” he chuckled and buzzed Gabriel in.

Gabriel took the elevator to the 8th floor but instead of going directly to see the ADA he darted for the stairwell and jumped to the ground level and opened the door.

Mick and Brian walked in and followed Gabriel to the 8th floor.
“Okay Gabriel, let’s get this done quickly”

Gabriel knocked on the ADA’s door before quietly going in.
“Excuse me Mr. Talbot, I have the papers you requested from Danvers” he said.
Talbot looked up from his computer.
“Oh, yeah…..thanks” he said taking the file from him. “Are you new? I’ve never seen you before” he asked.
“I’ve been with Danvers for about a year now. I’m Gabriel St. John” he said holding out his hand. Talbot took his hand and laughed.
“You wouldn’t happen to be related to a Mick St. John?” he laughed.
“Actually he’s my father” Gabriel said. Talbot looked at up sharply but it was too late. Talbot crumbled to the ground.

Mick walked into the Police station.
“Carl, do you have a minute?” Mick asked.
“Sure Mick what’s up?’ he said.
“I know about the list” he said.
“I don’t know what you’re talking about Mick.”
“Carl. Come on. I know. Talbot already told me.”
Carl sighed.
“Alright yeah. Talbot showed it to me, but what the hell is it? I mean who are all those people? I mean Josef Kostan, Claude Brewster? Those are some heavy hitters. Then there’s you and Guillermo from the morgue. It doesn’t make any sense Mick. Then we get some tabloid reporter saying he has a list of vampires! Vampires Mick! Is this whole city going crazy?” Carl said in exasperation.
“Carl we have to talk.” Mick said

Talbot awoke to darkness. He was tied to chair. He looked around and tried to make out where he was. The door opened and a young man he had never seen before came in and sat in a chair across from him.
“Mr. Talbot. We need to talk” he said.
“Where am I?”
“Tell me about this list”. He said holding the list up so Talbot could see it.
“Why don’t you tell me who you are?” Talbot said trying to buy time for himself.
Brian sighed softly.
“You are not in a position to ask anything. You do realize that” Brian said in a menacing voice
“Look, I don’t know anything about the list. Someone shoved it under my door after Emma Monoghan escaped from police custody! I thought it might have had something to do with that!” Talbot said.
“Does anyone else have a copy of this?” Brian asked.
“No. Just me.” He said. Brian knew he was telling the truth. But who knew how many people Emma had sent that list to.
“Thank you” Brian said and stood up to leave.
“W..wait! What are you gong to do to me?” Talbot asked in a shaky voice.
Brian turned to look at him, said nothing and walked out the door.
“Ok Gabriel, it’s your turn” Brian said.

Carl sat back on the sofa in Mick’s apartment stunned.
“Vampires.” Carl said but hardly believing it.
“Yeah. Carl I know what you’re thinking, but it’s not as bad as you think”
“Mick you have no idea what I’m thinking”
“Uh…actually I do” Mick said. “Carl, I’m trusting you right now with the biggest secret you’ll ever have. I’m doing everything in my power to help keep the city safe. You know that! If we worked together, we could get so much done so much faster because I’m not trying to hide stuff from you and that’s full time job right there!”

Working with a vampire? But then Carl thought about all the times Mick had helped when nothing seemed possible. Like that witch cult, or Lee Jay Spaulding. Maybe together they could really make a difference in this city.
So what he drank blood…….

Carl stood up and started to pace.
“You know, I knew something fishy was going on. All of those weird cases that just suddenly appeared then disappeared. That was all…you know…vampire stuff?”
“Yeah”
“What about Beth?” he asked thinking about her for the first time.
“Yeah. For about 5 years”
“And every name on that list?”
“Yeah. Emma was going to give up every vampire in Los Angeles. We had to stop her Carl. You have no idea what that information would have done to this city”

“I have an idea. So Emma and her husband were….executed?”
“Are you going to arrest me?” Mick said with a slight smile.
‘I can’t believe you just went there” Carl said with a smile.

ADA Talbot was sitting in his office staring at the computer screen.
He must have fallen asleep because he couldn’t really remember what he was doing. Maybe he was working too hard, he thought. He turned off his computer and locked his office door.

“Going home at a decent hour I see” Pete said to him.
“Yeah. Crime will still be there when I wake up” he joked.
“You got that right!” Pete chuckled.

Mick Brian and Gabriel all met at Josef’s.
“Everything is taken care of.” Brian said. “Talbot has no recollection of a list. Leonard Miles has slipped into a coma and most likely will not recover.”
“But we still do not know if Emma gave the list to anyone else?” Josef said.
“And you know what, we may never know Josef. All we can do is try and handle the situation when it arises. Only next time we’ll be more prepared. Now we have an ally” Mick said. “Josef, I’d like you to meet my friend Lt. Carl Davis. Carl, my best friend Josef Kostan”
Josef looked at the detective. He was a tall handsome man in dire need of a better suit.
“What is that you’re wearing? Men’s Warehouse!” Josef said “you’ll have to do better than that!”
Carl looked at Mick for second.
“He’s kind of a dick” Carl whispered to him.
“You’ll get used to it”

The End
Last edited by Ella713 on Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Ella713's Office”