Ella713
Courtesan

It's Only Make Believe Rated PG

Post by Ella713 »

Moonlight Fan Fiction
It's Only Make Believe
By Ella713
Rated PG

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

A murderer is killing Los Angeles transvestites and the Mayor orders Carl and Mick to find him by any means necessary! :thumbs:

The place was packed at Toodles on Venice Beach. Tonight was one of biggest nights of the summer. They had a lip sync battle and a fashion show all hosted by MC extraordinaire Scarlet O' Bare.
Scarlet was introduced and the crowd went wild.
"Good evening Divas!" She yelled out to the crowd.
"Good evening Queen!!!" The crowd yelled back wildly.

Blush Harris (also known as Thomas Crawford) had been doing drag shows since he found out how much money you could make doing this on regular basis. He didn't care about sexual preferences. To each their own was his motto, but he also saw some really tragic things that came with being a drag queen. On any given night you could be beat to a pulp for it and straight teenagers don't give a shit. You get robbed of all the money you had just made and you can't work after an assault because you're face is all jacked up. The drinking and drugs that came along with it was another things. None of these guys actually looked like they were happy so Blush always tried to be extra kind and helpful.
His Fiancé who knew about his new job, thought it was a hoot and always told him to go for it.

He had just finished "putting his face on" as they said around here, when he walked to the closet he shared Renee and Lady Du'Bois that's when he saw it! It was Champagne Larue! And her throat was sliced open. Blush tossed off his high heels and ran out of the club to get help.

Gary Holland the owner of Toodles Boutique and Lounge kept shivering in the night air.
"Okay what time did Champagne come to work?" The Officer asked.
"She gets here before all the other performers. She like to practice her routine in private. She didn't want anyone stealing her routine" He said.
"A lot of stealing goes on then?" The officer asked next.
"Look, that's the nature of the business. They don't call show business a cut throat industry for nothing. For someone headlining here means they can go to Vegas or Moulin in Paris. My girls are competitive sure, but not one of them would do something this. They would more likely hide and outfit or throw a pair of heels in the garbage, than ice someone" He explained.
"So when she got here what time was it?"
"A little after 4pm. I get here around the same time so I can start pulling the liquor out of the storage room."
"Who came in next?"
"Blush. That's the gal that rang you"
"Alright. Thank you, you can leave your name and contact information with the officer over there"
"What's the world coming to man? Did you see that man's eyes? He was wearing guy liner!" The officer said.
"Shut your trap or you'll see yourself pounding the pavement for another job. Capt. Carl don't jive with that crap!"
"Sounds like maybe you said a little too much at one time"
"Yeah I did so hear me when I say drop that attitude right now!"
Last edited by Ella713 on Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ella713
Courtesan

Re: It's Only Make Believe Rated PG

Post by Ella713 »

"Alright fill me in on what happened in Venice Beach" Carl asked the officers.
"A woman who worked at Toodles got her throat slashed and stuffed in the closet. ME says she was sliced with something crazy sharp like a scalpel"
"This sounds like something personal. Any arguments among the ladies?"
"The owner said no more than usual. But he said that his girls would never go this far. He said they usually did childish stuff like hide your things before a show, but nothing violent"
"Find the victims roommate, lover, parents. Find out all about her. What kind of friends she hung around with. ME say anything about drugs or alcohol in her system?"
"No for booze have to wait for the tox screen"

"So what are you going to do?" Sherry asked as she sipped her coffee.
"I have no idea. We have enough saved so I'll just go back to bartending. If their cutting up drag queens because this is a hate crime, it's best if I'm out of there." Blush said.

Vivian looked damn good and she knew it. For once she got her unruly curls to behave themselves and her dress fit her like a second skin. She sat at the bar and ordered a whiskey sour. She pulled out a cigarette from her handbag and started to look around for a lighter.
"Here you go" A voice said from next to her. She looked up sharply. She didn't even notice he was sitting there before. He gallantly lit her smoke.
"Thank you" She said in what she hoped was her sexiest voice. "So what brings you to this dark corner of Los Angeles?" She asked with a smile.
"Honestly, I was looking for my baby brother" He said.
"And he hung around here?"
"He would if he were smart. This corner seems to hold the loveliest ladies I've seen in a long while" He said with a smile.
"Well, maybe I can help you. What's your Brother's name?"
"Jackson Murray, or just Jack?" He said. Vivian got a look of recognition in her eye.
"Jack. Tall about 6'1 slim around 170 or so. Blue black hair and puppy dog eyes?"
"Yep. That's him." He replied.
"I can see the resemblance. I haven't seen him in a about a year. He said he was going to some place in South America I think."
"Was he in here, the last time you saw him?"
"No. He came over to my place to party before he left."
"I hope you showed him a good time. I mean he is my baby brother" He grinned.
"Honey, I took that boy to the moon and back" Vivian said.
"Think you could me take me there?" He asked. Vivian nodded her head and smiled brightly.

"Captain, we got another body. This one was stuffed into a gas station john. The station closed early because they were having pump problems but it couldn't be fixed until this morning. The manager was opening up and saw the bathroom door opened and looked inside"
"Was this victim a transvestite?" Carl asked.
"I don't think so. This woman looked pretty good....considering" The officer said.

"Hey Mick. Are you bored?" Carl asked.
"That depends? What have you got?"
"Venice Beach. Someone is offing transvestites. Now we have another body and Malcolm says she's a true woman."
"They were killed the same way as the other victims?"
"Yep. The only difference is that the last one wasn't a guy? Now between you and me, I've never known a perp to switch MO like this" Carl said.
"That does sound interesting. Meet me at the morgue" Mick said rushing out of his apartment.

"Guillermo what an you tell us?" Mick asked.
"Alright. Be patient because this last victim is amazing. First of all according to her license her name is really Barry Baxter. So as stunning as she is she was identified as male prior. Second of all there's this." he said pulling back the sheet all the way. "Both female and male genitals"
"So I.D. wise who decides you know....." Mick asked
"Usually the parents do, so at birth they decided they would go with the male part and at some point in her late teens she decided she wanted to be female."
"And they can legally do this switch?" Carl asked.
"Well you have to understand that not only is Hermaphroditism extremely rare, usually one or both of the genitals doesn't work, and often it's the male member"
"So our killer either knew this woman's history, or discovered her secret when they were together" Carl said.
"I don't think so Carl. There are no traces of sexual activity. The girl is clean, other than having the clap."
"What are we dealing with here Mick? I mean does the perp just hate the cross dressers, or is he pinpointing certain women?" Carl asked.
"We have to find out more about these girls" Mick said.
Ella713
Courtesan

Post by Ella713 »

"Mick, I'm going to need you to go to both of these bars and see what you can find out." Carl said.
Mick knew he was going to suggest he go to the bars. "Look Mick, I would send a uniform, but you know how it is. Once you go through the academy your behavior is 100% cop. And they wouldn't be able to stop. You're a P.I. and.....well....look at yourself once in while" Carl said.

Stallions was a noisy upbeat lounge. The drinks were stiff, the music was always vibrant and the clientele was progressive. They didn't have drag shows or anything like that, but it was a place where people could go and express themselves in whatever way they chose. He ordered a beer seeing that no one in the entire joint was drinking a beer. The music was way to loud and the outfits were outlandish. He wasn't even on his second sip when he was approached.by a young woman with bright pink hair.
"You must be new to this place!" She said sitting down in the chair right next to his crossing her legs.
"I guess I stick out huh?" He replied.
"Like a sore thumb! I can't remember the last time I saw anyone drinking a beer in this place!" She said with laugh.
"Well, I'm new to the area. I came to find my brother. He moved here about 5 years ago and kept begging me to come down here."
"What's your brother's name? Maybe I know him. I've been coming here for a while" She said.
"Jackson..." He began to say.
"Jack Murray is your brother?" She said with a bright smile.
"You knew him?"
"I wish. A sexy guy like that walks into this place of all places! I didn't know him, but everyone was talking about him. First they were saying he was an undercover narc, but then after he partied with a few of the "gals" we knew he was on the up and up"
"Are there any of the girls he was hanging with here now? I need to speak with them?" He said.
"Oh! see that gal over there with long brown hair, kind of looks like Megan Fox? I know he partied with her a lot. They even lived together for a bit."

Mick walked into Toodles nervously. The night was very humid so he just wore t-shirt, but every patron stopped to look at the muscled hunk who just walked in. Mick strolled up to the bar and ordered a whiskey straight up then he found seat at an empty table and waited to see what would happen. It took all of three minutes before a woman walked over to him.
"Excuse me, would you mind if I joined you?" She said in a soft voice.
"Not at all." Mick said.
"So what brings you here tonight?" She asked batting her fake eyelashes.
"Curiosity" Mick said taking a sip of his drink.
"I think it's always wise to be curious about other people, cultures, food what have you. It keeps life interesting" She said sitting her glass of wine down.
"I think there's been a little bit too much interesting in this place already, unless dead women found in closets is an everyday thing" Mick said.
"No it isn't!" She said putting her hand to her heart. "I was shocked when I heard the news. This place is respectable." She said.
"I'm sure it is. Did you know the dead girl?" He asked.
"Honey everyone knew Champagne. She was drag royalty! She had her own show in Las Vegas and Reno, but she kind of fell on hard times and came back here, but she was still as popular as ever. I mean nobody did Diana Ross like her"

Carl spoke with "Vivian's" parents later in the evening.
"Was Vivian ever depressed about......her circumstances?" Carl asked softly.
"In high school of course. We had the Principal excuse gym for all 4 years. He couldn't undress and shower with those other boys" The mother said crying into her tissue. "They were so cruel to him, but when he graduated he decided to embrace his female side and he was happier. So much happier"
"Did she ever do drugs?" Carl asked
"When she was younger yeah, the doctor said she had anxiety, but like any medication for good comes some that do nothing but ruin your mind and body. But we told her she wasn't brining that crap into our home" The father said. "So she moved out and lived with some girl she met in group"
"What group?" Carl asked anxiously.
"It was group of other people with her condition. It really helped her" The mother said.
"Do you have the woman's name?"
'Monique Kellog" The mother said.

Carl found the support group and their next meeting was tonight at 7pm and he planned on being there.

After Mick had had all he could take of shots of whiskey he headed to the police station to talk to Carl.
"Well, I found out that Champagne is originally from Los Angeles but was a big deal in Vegas and Reno for a while. She had a cocaine problem, lost her money came back to California, cleaned up her act and started all over. She was well liked, no one had a nasty thing to say about her. I'm going to talk to the station manager of the second crime scene" Mick said.
"Well, Vivian had a rough upbringing. Childhood rough ups with other school boys. Decided to be female after high school. Had a drug problem that stemmed from anxiety. Went to meetings of a support group moved in with a woman by the name of Monique Kellogg. The support group is located on Tumwater Parkway. They have a meeting at 7pm tonight. You wanna come with?" Carl asked.
"Sure thing" Mick said.

He stared at the Megan Fox look a like. And while he didn't know who Megan Fox was, all he saw now, was a man wearing women's clothing without his wig and the sight was horrifying. He tossed the body down the laundry chute and left the building. Hopefully they would find the body before it started to stink up the entire building.

Mick and Carl walked into the support group meeting and saw immediately that they were out of place.
"Cop!" someone yelled and started to run for the door, which Mick blocked.
"Look! Settle down. I'm not here to bust anyone!" Carl said.
"Why you bothering us?" A young man would couldn't have been any more than 19 or so.
"I just want some information on Vivian. The young woman who was killed. Her parent are broken up about this and I promised them, I would find the killer, so help me here. I just wanna catch this freak!" Carl said. They all looked round at each other.
"Vivian was living with Monique but they had a falling out and the next thing I knew she was living with some guy named Jackson something or another" One woman said.
"Do you know where Jackson was living?"
"Off Laguna in Battery Park" Another person said.
"Thank you all for you help." Carl said closing his note pad and turning towards the door.
"Can your partner stay for a while? I'd feel safer if he were here" A young woman asked looking at Mick with definite interest. Mick raised one eyebrow.
"Sorry sweetheart. He's mine for the evening and I don't like sharing" Carl said grabbing Mick's arm and pulling him out of the room. "Damn it Mick! Do you have a license for that face?!" Carl joked

And later on, Carl got the call. Around 9pm another body had been found. Stuffed down a laundry chute.
Ella713
Courtesan

Post by Ella713 »

"Hey Mick, how are you?" Ted said enthusiastically.
"I'm good Ted. How's the leg?" Mick said with a grimace remembering how Isabelle had shattered his leg for a case they working.
"It's completely back to normal. Well better than normal" Ted said. "So what's up?"
"You've heard about the killings going on in the gay community right?"
"Yeah, it's frightening man" Ted said slowly shaking his head.
"Carl and are working this case and we need some heavy duty research"
"You got it. Give me the names" Mick had written everything out on a sheet of paper.
"This is great Mick. You listed the birth names of each victim. That's crucial. Let me get started on this and say 3pm tomorrow?"
"Ted, you're a lifesaver!" Mick said as he turned to leave and saw Mila walk through the door.
"Hi Dad" She said walking over to hug him. "Hi gramps!" She said walking over and throwing herself in Mick's arms.
"I hear you're setting the legal world on fire." Mick said with a smile.
"Oh, they ain't seen nothing yet" She said in a serious tone.

Ted got to work right after Mila had left. This was definitely going to be one of the most interesting background searches he would ever do. He sat at his computer leaping from one host site to the other and things were finally coming together. And at 6am the following morning he was assembling everything he had discovered.

He had just one more place to go to seek justice. To get his revenge. Jackson's revenge!

At 3pm Ted asked Mick to sit down.
"This is really quite amazing. So get this, I ran each victim's birth name and the name they were now
using. Everything was on the up and up. But when I dug in a bit more, into utilities and apartment leases, that's when I hit pay dirt. Each of your victim's was associated with one Jackson Murray, originally from Ft. Lee Arkansas. He moved up here about 5 or six years ago, it could have been longer but he was only on the radar for 5 years in Los Angeles"
"So where is he?" Mick said standing up and pulling out his phone to call Carl.
"He's dead. He committed suicide last year. His body was sent home to Ft. Lee. There was no evidence of foul play. He left a note saying he had been wrong and now he was too damaged to go on...or something to that effect. I printed a copy of the note for you. So I started checking things in Arkansas and really that's when everything fell into place. Jackson was a hermaphrodite by birth. His parents chose not to go through gender re assignment for religious reasons. So, let's just say Jackson was very confused. He came to Los Angeles, to find a sense of freedom from what he was. He got really into the culture here, but it seems he never found what he was looking for and decided to quit life altogether. Now he has an older brother who's real old school. A Marine right out of high school. Very strong willed, very opinionated. You know, one man one woman sort of thinking. I'm pretty sure he's killing everyone that his brother was friends with or had a relationship with." Ted finished handing the folder over to Mick.
And there is was. It made perfect sense.

The Mayor was letting Carl know that he had do something and do it fast.
"I've got the entire LBGT Community nationwide on my case saying I'm allowing these crimes to continue! I want this jerk caught! Do you hear what I'm saying? Because if not, I can always find another Police Captain!" He said slamming the door as he left.

"Carl! I think we got the dirt bag!" Mick said walking into his office and laying the file on his desk.
Carl started going through the file.
"Ted got all this?" Carl asked. Mick nodded his head. "Please tell me he knows where we can find this guy?"
"He's not staying in any area hotels/motels/B&B's or campgrounds. So we think he's moe than likely sleeping in his car. There's also no flight, train or bus records" Mick said.
"That means we're going undercover" Car said. "You wouldn't happen to know any pretty boys? No one's going to believe you were ever a woman"
"What about Steve?" Mick asked.
"He's way too masculine" Carl replied.
"What about Lisa? I mean she is the ultimate tomboy?" Mick
"I was thinking about Ted" Carl said.
"Carl, don't you think Ted's had enough for now. Isabelle smashed his leg for Pete's sake"
"He's got a taste of danger. He'll jump at the chance" Carl said.

"Ok, Ill do it." Ted said without hesitation.
"You will? You're sure?" Mick asked.
"Yes. I'm sure. What do I have to do?"
"We kind of need you be a cross dresser?" Carl said. Ted's eyes opened wide and his mouth fell open.
"Ok." He sighed heavily. "God help me, I'll do it" Ted said.

When Ted told Amy she dropped down on the carpet and laughed hysterically for 10 minutes!
"I can totally picture it!! Ted you have beautiful skin and long eyelashes and beautiful baby blues! I think you'd make a very stunning lady of the night." She said still giggling.
"You're enjoying this much sweetheart" Ted said with smile.
Ella713
Courtesan

Post by Ella713 »

Mick called Josef's go to make up expert Matilda Lyons and after she laughed for a long while, she agreed to stop by with make up and wardrobe.

Ted sat in Mick's apartment becoming kind of nervous.
"No one's going to know I did this right?" He asked.
"Not unless you tell them" Mick assured. When Matilda knocked on the door Mick walked over to answer it. "Don't be nervous Ted. You're going to do fine." He said. Matilda walked in with her short locks now a very bright electric blue. "I like the hair" Mick said with grin.
"Where's the victim?" She asked in her loud voice. She glanced over at Ted and studied his facial features. "Come here hon?" She said to him. Ted walked over and stood in front of her. She rubbed his face and turned his cheek from side to side. "This will be a piece of cake" She said opening up her case.

It took her over an hour to complete the look, but when she was done, Ted Ferguson looked like a very pretty woman. Minus the awkward walk.
"You're going to break your neck in those shoes!" Matilda said. "Try these flats." She said handing Ted the shoes.
"That's better" He said as she led him to a mirror. Ted looked at himself and shook his head.
"I can't believe I'm doing this" He said to himself.
"Ted you're going to help us catch a murderer. Again." Mick said. Beth walked in and saw Matilda.
"Oh crap. What are you doing now?" She asked. Mick stood aside and let her see Ted.
"I'm sorry honey. I didn't know you had company" She said walking over to the strange woman. "My name is Beth St. John". She said holding out her hand.
"It's me Beth" Ted said. Beth's eyes got wide as she stared. "It's Ted" He said. Beth had her hand over her mouth and she walked all around Ted looking at his amazing transformation.
"Damn, you look hot!" She said finally.
"I......this....is a.all for a case" Ted stammered.
"I kind of figured that out." She said giving him a hug. "Be careful" She said. "Are you wearing Annick Goutal?" She asked suddenly.
"I don't know what that is?" Ted replied.
"Perfume. Very expensive perfume" Beth chuckled walking upstairs.

"Alright listen up Ted" Carl said in all seriousness. "Mick I believe, according to your research, that Jackson's brother will be going after this girl next. She went by the name of Trudy. Her and Jackson lived together for about 5 months. Her DMV License reads that she was 5'7 and 140 pounds, blonder hair and blue eyes with a crescent moon tattoo on her neck which Matilda was kind enough to give you. Now all you have to do is sit there and have a drink and wait for this guy to approach you. Don't get scared, Mick will be in the club with you. So just keep calm. Now the mic we strapped on you picks up everything crystal clear, so if you can get him talking, that'll be great." Carl finished.

"Brian!! You won't believe what I've just overheard? Dad is working on the killing going on I the gay community and he just sent someone in undercover. In drag! Guess who it is?" Gabriel asked
"Josef?" Brian asked although he could scarcely see Josef ever agreeing to anything like that.
"No. Try again?"
"Please don't say it's you?" Brian asked.
"Logan or Guillermo would make horrible looking females......you're kidding?!" Brian said figuring out.
"Nope. They are headed to bar right now as we speak!" Gabriel said laughing.
"Be ready. I'm coming to get you" Brian said. "Boy Ted sure has come a long way" He said.

Mick and Ted pulled up to the bar called Neighbors, where Trudy was known to frequent. Without thinking Mick held the door open for Ted then rolled his eyes.
"Matilda did a fantastic job" He said shaking his head. Ted took a seat at the bar and ordered an appletini. Ted figured it was a martini with apples in it? When the frosted sugar rimmed glass was sat in front of him, he thought he was going puke. Ted was a scotch man. He slowly lifted the glass to his lips to take sip, Yuck! He thought to himself. People actually drink this? You can't even taste the alcohol! As he sat his glass down and tall man in his mid thirties sat down next to him.
"You don't appear to be happy with that drink" He said.
"I haven't had one in a while, now I think it's gross." Ted said in his soft voice.
"Let me buy you something else" He said grabbing for his wallet. "What would like?"
"Johnnie Walker Black" Ted said.
"You got it" He said waving over the bartender and placing the order. The bartender sat the drink in front of Ted and he marveled at how easy women had it in bars! He took a good measured sip. And smiled.
"Thank you. I can pay you back" Ted said picking up his purse thingy from the bar.
"No way. It's my pleasure" He replied. "So what brings you here?"
"Not much else to do on a Tuesday night" He said shrugging his shoulders.
"What about you? You don't really look like you belong here" Ted replied.
"I just go here to be honest. I came to look for my brother." He said.
"And he hung out here?" Ted asked.
"Yeah, but that's a long story. So what's your name if you don't mind me asking?"
"Trudy Mills and you are?"
"My friends and family call me Buddy"
"Pleased to meet you Buddy. So who's your brother? Maybe I know him." Ted said repeating what Carl told him to say.
"Jackson Murray" He replied. Ted smiled, because he knew this was the man Carl and Mick were looking for.
"Jack's your brother?. Well, Los Angeles is a small world after all. I knew your brother" Ted said.
"How so?"
"We used to live together......for almost 6 months, I think...it was a long time ago" Ted said with a wave of his hand.
"Yeah I suppose it was.....you know I'm getting kind of tired of this place. You want to go somewhere else?" he asked. Ted had to think very quickly. If he refused, they might lose him, but if he left with this guy, he might be seriously hurt. Ted glanced quickly around the bar hoping Mick had his eyes on him, when he spotted Brian and Gabriel huddled together at a small table. He knew they spotted him and would never let him live this one down.
"That sounds like fun" Ted said, downing his scotch and getting up to leave. Mick saw Ted and the perp walk out together so he quickly followed. They were nowhere in sight! Mick frantically looked all around then he heard muffled sounds from the alley. He quickly ran down just as the perp was pulling out his weapon. He grabbed the man from behind and knocked the sharp weapon from his hand.
"Let go of me you fruit!!!" The man screamed. "You better pray I'm going to stay locked up, because if I ever get out you're a dead man!" The man struggled against Mick. Brian and Gabriel walked Ted to the awaiting paramedics to get checked out.
"I'm fine really....." Ted was trying to say as the EMT's took his blood pressure.
"Ted, what were you thinking?" Gabriel asked.
"Mick and Carl asked me....and well.....it's the least I could do" Ted said wincing as they put a bandage on his forehead. The EMT checked Ted's eyes and took a deep sigh. Ted knew exactly what he was going to say.
"You're going to keep me overnight for observations" Ted said.
"You could have a concussion. It's best to be safe" The EMT said as Ted got loaded onto the gurney.
"Can you guys tell Amy and Mila what's happened. Tell them not to worry. I'm fine." He said as they shut the ambulance doors and drove away.
"And to think I used to hate that guy" Brian said with a smile.

Donald "Buddy" Murray was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole. At his trial members of the LGBT community came out in record numbers to see the monster who had caused so much fear and grief and when he was found guilty on three counts of premeditated murder and one charge attempted murder, the courtroom erupted.
Ted became a major headliner overnight. Everyone wanted to interview him, but he gave only one and went back to his work at Danvers.

"Thanks man" Carl said opening the beer that Mick handed him. "I don't think I could have done this without you" He said after taking a long swallow.
"Yeah, you would have been fine Carl. You're a great cop!" Mick said as they clicked bottles.

Ted got out of the car and walked slowly to his front porch.
"Thanks for the ride Brian. I can't imagine where Amy is" Ted said in a casual voice masking the annoyance he felt with her not being there to pick him up from the hospital.
"Do not be annoyed Ted. She probably got called to the gallery" Brian offered.
"You're right" He said unlocking the door.
"SURPRISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" He heard everyone yell out to him. His house was beautifully decorated with balloons and banners reading L.A.'s Favorite Son. His co-workers were there and all of his friends.
"Thanks guys! So much!" He managed out as Amy hugged him tightly showing him the large sheet cake in the middle of the table.
L.A.'s Favorite Son/Daughter Ted read and turned around and saw Gabriel cracking up with laughter.

They were never going to let him live this one down!

The End

Return to “Ella713's Office”