Muddy Paws- a Syn Freshie Fic PG 13

jenstc2003
Rogue vampire

Muddy Paws- a Syn Freshie Fic PG 13

Post by jenstc2003 »

Muddy Paws
Rating- PG 13
Notes- This story developed from the basic situation that has been created on the Willing Freshies Forever threads, which have taken the characters and realities from Moonlight, and gone in an alternate direction with them.
Synclaire Smythe is my alter ego in the WFF and this is the continuation of her story.

I have never felt so exhausted. We’ve been out on the trail for almost 4 hours now- in and out of half a dozen arroyos- all of which are still muddy from a morning rain storm- up and down small mountains… even down a canyon face- and all to no avail. It’s our first real search and rescue mission since Morg got her advanced certification- a little girl gone missing in a park in the Hollywood Hills. Alison Peters- age 4. She'd been out hiking with her parents when she disappeared not far from here. No one could find her, so L.A. Search and Rescue had been called in to help. As members of the team, Morg and I were asked to help out. Morg has found her scent a few times, but nothing solid yet. I can’t help wondering if Mick would be having any better luck if he were here. Certainly, those enhanced senses of his would be a big help on a day like this.

Suddenly, Morg’s ears perk and she pulls hard on the leash- then I see it. A flash of yellow, curled up under an overhang. “Alison? Alison Peters?”

The bit of yellow moves, and a tiny child looks out at me, taking in my black LASAR tank top and khaki shorts. “Yes- did my Mommy send you?”

“Yes, sweetie. She did. Are you alright?”

“I’m hungry.” The look on her face could melt anyone’s heart.

“Well, I happen to have some granola bars and a bottle of water just for you. Let’s sit here and you can eat while I call back to your Mom and let her know, OK?”

“OK.” So I open my backpack and hand her a couple of granola bars and a bottle of water, and give Morg a bowl of kibble and a few minutes of tug with her favorite rope toy to celebrate her find, then call back to base on my radio that I’d found her. While I do, Morg and Alison settle down on a patch of grass to eat, Alison curled up beside Morg’s big frame as if she had always belonged there.

My team leader congratulates me, of course, and Kim, Alison’s Mom, is allowed to talk to her for a moment while we eat and I work out the fastest way back to base. Any way I go about it, it’s half an hour back to base, and I tell them to expect us back around then before signing off.

After we have all finished a snack, I take Alison’s hand and we begin the trek out. I’m not used to kids- especially not hyper young ones like Ali- so her enthusiasm for everything is charming at first. But charming wears off when we see a garter snake along the trail and she tries to pick it up. “Um, Alison- it’s really not a good idea to try to catch wild animals. That snake could be dangerous. You need to leave animals alone when they’re out in the wild, OK?”

“But my Mommy lets me… she says the dangerous ones will rattle.”

“Well, the really dangerous ones will- but not all of the dangerous ones do. Besides, your Mommy isn’t here and we really need to get you back to her.” That’s true- at this point, I’m beginning to wonder if we’ll ever get back. This half- hour is seeming like 3 hours. We struggle in the mud- right now, the trail is only slightly better than the arroyos I’d been in earlier. Morg is exhausted, and we all are ready for a good dinner and a nap by the time we get back to base. Morg is covered in mud- and Alison and I are almost as bad. It gets darker and darker as we walk- I hadn’t realized it was that late already. We had to stop for a break when Alison needs to take care of some personal business, and I try to call base, but the walkie talkie isn’t working now. We’re an hour behind- and I can only imagine that the trail boss is a nervous wreck.

Finally, another 15 minutes pass, and we arrive back at base. Kim runs out to greet us as soon as we arrive, thanking Morg and I, then wrapping her little girl in her arms. The trail boss is not far behind. “Are you alright?”

“Yeah- just exhausted. The radio went dead- I think the batteries ran out. The trail was a muddy mess, and the little one wanted to lollygag on the way. You know how they are…”

“That’s for sure. But- there’s someone who wants to see you.”

Before I can even look around, I feel cool hands against my shoulders. “Hey, Synful! I hear congratulations are in order!” The familiar voice- cool hands- I turn around and wrap my arms around Mick’s broad shoulders, absolutely thrilled to see him.

“Hey Mick! I’m glad to see you- but why are you here?”

“What- I can’t come and celebrate with one of my girls? I was on my way out here to see if I could help- Kim's one of my old clients and she asked me to come. Then I heard on the radio that you'd found her and decided to come out anyway.”

“You sure can- and I’m glad you did. Thank you for being here! It just surprised me is all.”

“So- are you going to tell me what happened?”

There is a picnic table nearby, and he quietly pulls me over there, and situates me on his lap, muddy clothes and all. Morg lays down at his feet, whining a bit, but calmer than I might have expected. Seems that she’s not exactly sure how to take this development. She’d only just gotten used to Carson- and then we broke up. Now, another strange man has her Momma on his lap- it has to be confusing for her. Mick’s always said that vampires and pets don’t get along- and Morg is never overly fond of strangers- so I’m doubly surprised to see her so calm around him.

Leaving that mystery for a now, and grateful for the comfort of his arms, I lay my head back on his shoulder and begin to tell him the story of our day, the stress of the long afternoon finally catching up with me as I tell it. Finally, before the story is finished, I fall asleep against his shoulder as he massages my arm. Not long afterwards, I feel a paw on my knee- Morg’s familiar way of waking me up. Then, as if that wasn’t her only goal, I feel her hoist her 100# bulk up beside me and put a paw on Mick’s shoulder, and her tail wags against my chest. I know exactly what she’s going to do before she does- but before I can tell her “no kisses”, she’s already gotten him. One big, slobbery puppy kiss on the cheek. Laughter rumbles in his chest as he begins to pet her and talk to her in a soft, encouraging voice. I can almost see the smile on his face.

“I never knew you liked animals!” I say, giving away the fact that I’m awake.

“I love them- it’s just that they usually don’t like me.”

“Yeah. But I’m glad she does.”

“Me too. Maybe you could bring her around to the loft sometime?”

I can’t help smiling at that. “Nah- she’s too busy for a night at your place. I can just see those magnifying glasses on your credenza ending up in pieces on the floor… I think she’s better off at home.”

I can almost feel his smile broaden at that. “Oh, surely we’re not a bad puppy, now are we Morgan?”

That gets me laughing even harder. “You have no idea!”

“Well, in that case, then maybe I’ll just have to have the two of you help me out with some of my missing persons cases- I have one now and then that I think you two would be able to help solve, and it would give me a chance to hang out with two lovely young ladies. Would you be interested?”

“I think that would be a great idea!” Morg barks, as if she had understood him as well.

“But I think right now, you had probably better get back home and get some rest. You are exhausted. Are you alright to drive?”

“Yeah- it’s only a few miles from here. But thank you. It’s sweet of you to ask.”

He carries my pack for me, and walks me back to my Element, loading the gear in the back while I get Morg situated. With a final hug and a ruffle of my hair, he helps me into the car and says his goodbyes. As we pull off, I can’t help noticing the single muddy paw print on his black coat with a smile. Looks like she's made her mark on him. At that thought, I rub the tiny scars on my neck with a smile. Definitely not the same thing.
Jen

Mick's Synful One
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Re: Muddy Paws- a Syn Freshie Fic PG 13

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

this syn sounds like an interesting person. I really like the ending - with both Mick and Syn being 'marked' - and yes, it's not the same in Syn's case. I can only guess at the other ways Mick must have 'marked' her - not just in the small scars - but in her emotional life.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
jenstc2003
Rogue vampire

Post by jenstc2003 »

*Smiles* Yeah- its' definitely more than the scars. Mick has marked Syn in all the best ways, I think you'll find. They have a really strong friendship, and I consider them pretty good complements. That shows more in the post- Carson Fics.
Luxe de Luxe wrote:this syn sounds like an interesting person. I really like the ending - with both Mick and Syn being 'marked' - and yes, it's not the same in Syn's case. I can only guess at the other ways Mick must have 'marked' her - not just in the small scars - but in her emotional life.
Jen

Mick's Synful One
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

It's nice to get a glimpse into Syn's life outside the FOS. She's doing a great job.
jenstc2003
Rogue vampire

Post by jenstc2003 »

Thanks Francis!! I have always felt that she needed to have that life outside- I'm glad you agree.
francis wrote:It's nice to get a glimpse into Syn's life outside the FOS. She's doing a great job.
Jen

Mick's Synful One

Return to “Freshie Fic”