Three years since Sonata: Some thoughts

allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Three years since Sonata: Some thoughts

Post by allegrita »

It's been three years. :thud: That seems both much too long and much too short, doesn't it? :chin:

Three years since we sat there, eyes glued to our TVs, tissue in one hand and glass of wine in the other (OK, maybe that was just me). Three years since we saw Mick and Beth dancing, learned about 150-year marriages.

Three years since Josef and Mick had that conversation about commitment issues. :eyeroll:

Three years since the "mobile vampire lab" scene gave all of us this feeling: :melts: :melts: :melts: :melts: :melts: ... and then the Sacred Ass paddle gave Mick the karma he so richly deserved. :laugh:

Three years since Josef told Beth that the Plague was bigger than the Prom when he was young. :rolling: *loves Josef*

Three years since "Leeeeeroy Jenkins!!!" :hyper2: *loves Logan*

Three years since Guillermo tied Dominic's toe tag in a perfect bow. *loves G*

Three years since Mick walked out that door and made it three steps down the hall till he banged his head against the wall and succumbed to sheer despair... and then found the courage to go back. :Mickangel:

Three years since "Because I love you." :hankie: :hug: :cloud9: :smooch: :hearts: :heart: :hankie:

Three years since Mick closed the door and went right on kissing Beth, and I collapsed in tears on the couch, scaring the cat and leading my poor husband to take me in his arms and let me cry it out. *adores Mr. Allegrita*

Three years of amazing friendships and wonderful fanfic and heartbreaks and heartaches, of hopes soaring and then dashed and then soaring again. Three years of learning the best and worst about fandom, and Hollywood, and human nature.

And you know? It's been a giant thrill ride, and I feel so privileged to have shared it with all of you. My Moonlight family. :ghug: :hearts: :ghug:

So tell me... how did you watch Sonata? And what do you think about, when you realize it's been three years since the last new episode aired?
jen
Cleaner

Re: Three years since Sonata: Some thoughts

Post by jen »

Three years for most of you but not that long for me as I saw my first episode of Moonlight when it reaired on the SyFy channel 01/23/09. I have occasionally found television shows that I found especially charming, riveting or otherwise became 'must see TV' but rarely after only one or two episodes. That was all it took for me to fall completely in love with this lovely little show.

I still can't understand it--I don't think I ever really will. How can any network back such a fabulous idea and then abandon it when there was so much potential, so much charm and style.

The fanfic around here is fabulous, and in a way we are the lucky ones, we have great imaginations and by combining the two have seen seasons of this treasure play out in our minds.

I also believe that for some of the actors and actresses, they will look back on the work done in those sixteen episodes as some of the best of their career. We love the characters, but I sense that in some cases, the performers did, too.

The magic has survived beyond the cancellation. The style, charm and romance continues...

And I, for one, am delighted.

Jenna
Last edited by jen on Mon May 16, 2011 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

I was crushed by the cancellation news. I had just found the boards and was really down. Although after Click I remember seeing a promo that frightened me. It said only 2 more Micks and you'll miss him when he's gone kind of thing.

Here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prStvaapqNA

When I saw it I felt slapped in the face because as a long time CBS fan that is how they promo Series ending shows. I still believe the decision was made at higher levels in early May when that promo aired. Ever since the outrage of cancelling Magnum PI 20 years earlier and the more recent Jericho when CBS makes a decision they like to give subtle hints in promos. The last year of Magnum every promo started with in it's final season....It can be viewed as a season ending promo but anyone familiar with CBS style had to get a bad vibe from it.

It was the first time I had been passionate about a show in a couple of years. When Angel ended I had been a woman without a show involved in Star Wars fandom but nothing on tv.

Anyway I watched Sonata hoping for (hope for the future) but if not that they would tie up loose ends. I was relieved when Mick came back and they closed the door.

Having been involved in one successful SAVE A SHOW campaign I had high hopes.

Rewatching Sonata last week I realize it was a very good episode. I wish we had learned more about Legion or Ben Talbot's history, rescuing Coraline and more Mick/Beth goodness but I've gotten a lot of that in fanfic.
Kara
Fledgling

Post by Kara »

It also started in 2009 for me thru then Scifi, but it was love at first view. :smooch: I also don't understand why they canceled it. It was rating more than the shows that aired longer. I've lost Alias, Battlestar & ML. :witsend: :hankie:
aolver
Rogue vampire

Post by aolver »

:hankie: :hankie: How did I watch Sonata? In totally ignorant bliss. I was so happy when the door closed, and I am so grateful I knew nothing about the cancellation until 2 days later. I wasn't on the internet then. That was a blessing. I will always love Moonlight, no matter how long I live, and I'm so happy I discovered it on September 28th, 2007. :hearts: :hankie: :sigh: :Mickangel:
Beautiful banner and avatar by Skylar
Moonlightsonata
Rogue vampire

Post by Moonlightsonata »

I didn't realize it had been three years yet. I seem to remember each anniversary of the Paley Moonlight event because it meant so much to me. I remember how happy the cast was and how certain they were that the show would be renewed. Sophia said it was a "lock" or something like that. That was only about three or four weeks before Sonata aired. The last time I was in New York - which was about two months ago - I went to the Paley Center again and watched the Moonlight event in house since there still is no DVD of it available for sale. Because they weren't open on Tuesdays (at least not in March) and the fact we had an afternoon train, I had to catch it on a Wednesday and then didn't have time to watch the whole thing. But it was the second or third time I watched it at Paley in addition to being there for the actual event, so watching it makes me smile but also feel sad.

I don't remember if we knew when Sonata aired that Moonlight wasn't being renewed. I do remember that some people were concerned as to whether the Moonlight Line Convention was still a go. I couldn't attend that since my older daughter was graduating law school that weekend, but for a person not attending I did get some feel for the Convention since I was hanging around with people planning it. I also remember someone on MLL saying they were sorry they weren't going to be able to attend and then being told that Convention was probably the first of many. Didn't quite work out that way though.

So I still miss Moonlight like crazy. I even put a vague reference in on one of the entertainment blogs that the "Chuck" fans were lucky their forever "on the bubble" show was being given a 13 episode reprieve which was more than a show I loved on CBS received. Tomorrow I am going to the "Fringe" event at Paley in New York - which came about somewhat at the last minute - I guess some of the cast will be at the "upfronts" or else they wouldn't be traveling across the country. There is also a "Fringe" event in Beverly Hills a few days later - I am happy there is one in New York because, as much as I really really like Fringe, I wouldn't fly across the country for it.

I have said it before and I will say it again, given my age I really doubt I will ever feel for a show the way I did for Moonlight. I never was involved in a fandom, I never read fanfic, and I never did some of the crazy things I did for Moonlight and for Alex. It's been a real "thrill ride that never ends."

Thanks to everyone on this board for helping to keep the Moonlight magic alive.
Thank you Coco for the lovely banner.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Sophia called it a slam dunk. :giggle:
I remember that, even tho I wasn't there, cos I found it odd for an English girl to use that very American sports analogy. :biggrin:

3 years! Wow. I watched with my fellow Moonlightaholic, my daughter. We were both rather shocked it had been canned, as we had so many stories we wanted to see. And we liked Sonata, especially after they didn't leave Mick all busted on the inside, but we had been really disappointed there was no resolution to the Cora arc. Still, it was what we got, so take it or leave it, huh? :sigh:

I am, I think, delighted to have been sucked into the fandom for those final four eps. :snicker: I have definitely spent some time here :whistle: , and except for those first weird weeks with that weird campaign, it's been a lovely obsession with lovely friends. And I'm still enjoying our actors and those friends. So, 2 thumbs. :twothumbs: :hearts:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
MoonlitRose
Fledgling

Post by MoonlitRose »

Has it really been that 3 years have already passed by since Sonata aired? :sigh: Where does the time go? :slaphead:

Sonata ... oh gosh, ... I recall near the opening, that I soooooo did not like it when Mick seemed to be paying attention to Simone, while Beth and Josef looked on. I just wanted to "shake him"! :banghead: :grumble: Then finally, he came to his senses and actually asked Beth to dance. :thud:

The best however, was indeed the end. What an up and down roller coaster ride that scene was! Beth's I don't think I can do this anymore speech had me in tears! Then to have Mick walk out that door, and for it to shut. :Mickangel: OMG, I couldn't breathe! :no:

I'm so glad we heard that last Mick voice over, as he decided he couldn't shut the door any longer, and certainly not on Beth. For Mick to come back, and know that Beth was still just inside. Then to finally get up the courage to say what was really in his heart. :twothumbs: The tears were really rolling by then! :hankie:

And the total beauty of Mick being able to recite exactly what Beth was wearing and doing the night at the fountain. :notworthy:

Because I love you! :heart: :highfive: :heart:

Well, one thing that we know for certain, is that final line is still as true today, as it was when Mick said it 3 years ago. :heart: :hug: :heart: The little show that touched my heart lives on, and I'm so thankful to be a part of this wonderful ML community and to be able to share that ongoing connection to the characters and story of ML with all of you. :friends:

:MickBeth: :ghug:
-MoonlitRose
To view additional Graphic Art by MoonlitRose.
lynnrxgal
Fledgling

Post by lynnrxgal »

It's very late and I have work in just a few hours, so I will just add this (until I can compose my complete answer).

Tonight is a full moon. Every full moon that I have seen since Moonlight was on the air made my heart so sad/happy/full (depending when). A few hours ago I watched the season finale (not ending hopefully) of Hawaii Five 0. It was the first time in three years (wasn't it a lifetime ago??) that I could bear watching the last episode of a television show that I enjoyed.

Three years ago I spent hours crying, sobbing, even hyperventilating, over a fictitious group of persons that I would never meet in my life. I LOVED THEM! When that door closed, my heart was torn in half! And I still love them: Mick, Beth, Josef, Coraline, Josh, Carl... et. al. As I watched Alex O'Loughlin pant, sweat, hyperventilate tonight on Hawaii Five 0, I couldn't help but think of Mick as he did the same in the episode when he was chasing after Morgan/Coraline. It was deja vu all over again, as they say. And it was the first time that I could say that a show approached the intensity of "our" Moonlight.

My experience with the Moonlight fandom and ALL the wonderful people I have met and am happy to call my friends... I have to thank you all for enriching my life! I could ramble for hours (and I will when time permits)! But I just had to tell you tonight, Hello again, I love you!
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Aww Lynn, we love you too! And thank you to everyone who has posted their memories or reactions or thoughts today. I know this is a tough subject for many of us. But I so appreciate hearing your stories... and sharing your love. Thank you all! :ghug: :hearts: :flowers:
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Wow. Hadn't realized it was a whole 3 yrs. already. And here we all are, still infatuated with ML and all it's characters. :twothumbs:

3 yrs. since Ben got his list of vamps from an anonymous source.

3 yrs. since Beth asked Mick if he'd ever Turned anyone and was sidetracked from the fact that he never answered her.

3 yrs. since Beth was confused about whether or not she should be annoyed that Mick didn't feed from her.

3 yrs. since Beth broached the subject that she and Mick might not have a future unless she becomes a vampire.

3 yrs. since Mick remembered that Beth was barefoot when they first met. Met again. Whatever.

3 yrs. since "This is about us. How we feel about one another. Right here. Right now."

3 yrs. since I thought I'd never make it through the loss of Moonlight and Mick.

But here I am, along with my fellow Moonlightaholics. *HUGS*
PNWgal
Moonlightaholic Mod

Post by PNWgal »

Hopefully I can still post, even though it's past the 16th. :laugh:

I have a hard time putting into words that sense of loss I felt watching Sonata three years ago. Sometimes I still feel a little ridiculous, falling so completely in love with characters on a television show, but it wasn't just that. It was what those characters stirred up inside me, and the people I met because of them.

To this day, I can't watch Sonata all the way through. Poor Mr. PNW - he hightailed it out of the family room when the first tears started falling, but he came back when it was over and let me cry it out, and never said a word about it. (I really do love that man sometimes. :hearts: )

The pain really never goes away, and sometimes it catches me off-guard - Mick will always have a special place in my heart. Most of all, I got introduced to this great actor from Australia that's coming into great things, and watching Alex grow and become successful has been, in turn, exhilarating and frustrating and maddening...but I will always be grateful for the gift of Mick he gave us.

Out of all of it, I gained the courage to start writing again and met people that have become near and dear to my heart. So...I lost, but I also gained - a lot.

:heart:

Banner by the talented GuardianAngel

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - George Eliot

"The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on." - old Arab proverb

"Do the best you can do. Love many. Trust few." - Jack Ingram
aolver
Rogue vampire

Post by aolver »

:sadface: The pain resurfaces when I see pics of a happy Alex during the Moonlight era. It resurfaces when I watch ML marathons on SyFy and Chiller, and every week on CW last summer. I don't understand my reaction. It just happens. It will always happen. I will never get over it. I don't want to, ever. :hankie:
Beautiful banner and avatar by Skylar
jenstc2003
Rogue vampire

Post by jenstc2003 »

Wow... three years? Why does it feel like a lifetime and at the same time only yesterday? *Sighs and shakes her head* I can remember exactly where I was when Sonata aired- I missed the first 15 mins of watch and chatting because of TV issues... NOT a happy camper I can tell you that. I was still in shock from the cancellation and the cable problem was the last thing I needed. Then when the cable came back on... the most wonderful episode of all. I was at home, sitting and eating pizza, which I shared with my dog Morg. And I bawled like a baby at the end- still do sometimes when I watch it. I had found my ML family during the writer's strike, thank goodness, and have remained part of that family through everything that came after. Through ML, I have found several dear friends, renewed my love of writing- though I don't do it nearly like I used to- and "met" Alex, whose career I doubt I will ever NOT follow. I can't imagine NOT being part of this fandom- you all are wonderful!
Jen

Mick's Synful One
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Like many of you, I got hooked on ML from the opening 'Interview with a Vampire'. There was just something about the show, the characters, the updated take on vampires that just grabbed me right from the get go and it's taken me all this time to finally understand why. Most of the episodes had me enthralled, while one or two, not so much (Arrested Development, Dr. Feelgood). Sonata, however, is the one that broke my heart.

It started well, at a gala commemorating the life of Josef's Sleeping Beauty, Sarah, with promise of a developing relationship between Mick and Beth. We even got a hint that we might get a bit more background about Josef.

Was Emma and Jackson's story supposed to be a lesson for Beth? I believe so, and not just in the sense of understanding 'vampire justice'. Perhaps the lesson for Beth was that even the deepest, most abiding love affair has its problems, yet in the end, nothing can keep two people who truly love each other apart. Jackson was betrayed by Emma, but he chose to die with her because they were meant to be together forever. Who knows what hurdles Mick and Beth would had to have overcome had their relationship continued to develop? I wish we could have found out.

The tension as Mick confronts Emma was wonderful, and heightened as she threatened the community. After that, it all went to hell.

The gathering of vampires in Mick's apartment was just off....Josef was the leader of the community, but in this case, he wasn't doing much in the way of leading. The whole frat house scene was pointless and it pains me to this day just how much precious time they wasted on the scene transporting Emma from the jail. A minute or two from that scene would have been better spent between Mick and Beth at the end.

But what really broke my heart is how Sonata represents the entire series....starting off with such promise only to get derailed by behind the scenes squabbling, changing show runners, and hence direction, too many times, and the disruption of the writers strike. That's why I can't watch Sonata....I feel like Mick, banging his head on the wall outside Beth's apartment....wondering about what could have been. Mick got to find out. We didn't.

That's not quite right. We weren't given the answers to the lingering questions about whose side Talbot was on, what did the list represent, what happened to poor Coraline, and most importantly, what happened after the door closed. We did, however, through the wonderful stories on this board, come up with some fascinating ones, for which I thank you all :rose:
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!

Return to “Moonlight Celebrations”