Fleeting - G

A place for jen's G to PG-13 stories
jen
Cleaner

Fleeting - G

Post by jen »

Disclaimer: Don't own Moonlight. No copyright infringement intended. Moonlight is the property of whoever owns it. I'm not making any money writing this.

This is a short piece written in response to Challenge #138

Fleeting

Today, I drove to Griffith Park and left the Mercedes by the Observatory.

A few days ago, I didn’t have time to notice the beauty of these grounds. January in L.A. means there are only a few less shades of green to enjoy. I walked the same ground where Josh died as I tried unsuccessfully to stem the flow as his life bled out in the dust; where Beth begged me to Turn him, and I couldn’t…and I would do anything for her--except that. Today, I can turn my face toward the gentle, warming rays of the sun and Josh can’t.

I hope one day she’ll find a way to forgive me.

Walking over to the lake, I saw a small cloud of butterflies hovering over some tall grass near the waters edge.

You don’t generally see butterflies in Winter (even in L.A.) but there they were--darting and dipping over the grass. I guess nobody told them they weren’t supposed to be there. Last week, I was a vampire dreaming of mortality, with less chance of getting my dream than a butterfly‘s chance of surviving in Winter--but there they are (in L.A.), and here I am (on the Cure).

I know this is temporary, but what isn’t? Life is temporary--even for a vampire. Maybe the minister at Josh’s funeral was right when he suggested the very finite nature of life makes it even more exhilarating and precious.

However long it lasts, I want to make the most of it.
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
Lucy
Ancient

Re: Fleeting - G

Post by Lucy »

Perhaps the Butterflies were there for him??? Perhaps to bless him with the short time he did have..... Beautiful.... :clapping:
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

What a nice image the butterflies are, Jenna! A great metaphor for the fleeting nature of all mortal life. Even the unnaturally mortal life Mick experienced.

I find it very believable that Mick revisited the scene of Josh's death during his week of mortality. It's the sort of thing he'd do. :hearts:
Marigold
Courtesan

Post by Marigold »

Jenna, this is lovely! :flowers:

Mick has a second chance at being human, and the butterflies are surviving winter... Sometimes miracles really do happen. :hearts:
jen wrote:However long it lasts, I want to make the most of it.
Mick doesn't want to have any regrets. With Josh's death fresh in his mind, it seems as though he may be making the most of his humanity for both of them.

Thank you! :rose:
Fantastic banner by Kath40! Thank you!
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Lucy

Maybe they were. This comes out of a story when I saw what I thought were some white butterflies in winter time in my backyard around some grass. Turned out they were moths, but hey--for a few minutes there, I was so excited. I wouldn't give them much of a chance for long term survival, as we have ice storms around here. Point is, occasionally precious things can be very short lived. We cherish them for the brief time we can.

I felt like those little critters would have a much better shot in L.A., where the temperatures are...much more temperate.

Thank you for reading and leaving the lovely note.

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Alle

I agree, that Mick would want to memorize his surroundings, taking in details about them with his human senses, and then superimposing those impressions on future memories so that when he would see Griffith Park by the Observatory in the future, he would remember the scent of the flowers and grasses, the feel of the sun's gentle rays on his face and all the rest.

Now I wish I had specified that there were six butterflies--one for each day.

Thank you for reading and leaving the lovely note.

Jenna

jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Marigold

Thank you for reading and leaving the lovely comment!

Mick now has a very long lifespan and near miraculous healing abilities. He can do many amazing things, but his attention is on what he doesn't have. How human he is in his 'inhumanity' He found the cure once. He will find it again...or it will find him again!

Jenna

Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

Jen, there is just something so very hopeful and positive in Mick's reflection here - it's lovely. :hearts: I really enjoyed the imagery of the butterflies in the park and the way you tie them to the impossibility and ephemerality of Mick's own humanity. Good stuff, my friend.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

Oh, beautiful Jenna..!! You just reminded me of the symbolism of butterflies in Ancient Greece. They symbolised the psyche, the soul of a man. Maybe Josh's soul was still around? But also the way it turns from an ugly, caterpillar into a gorgeous creature, butterfly symbolises the power of inner fight, the possibilities of self change. It is afterall the most impressive transformation in nature....so, maybe Mick's change brought those creatures here..miraculously.

Well, whatever! It was a lovely point in his humanity and a great reading!
Thank you. :flowers:
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

I love the image of the butterflies. Mick wants to make the most of every minute of being human and who can blame him. He's been waiting for so long
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Cassy

Thank you so much!

I agree, Mick had been waiting for so long, longing for a way back but really never believing it was possible. Poor baby, talk about you can't go home again. Fortunately, he was able to visit and perhaps the brevity of it made it even more precious...

...only to surrender it for something more precious to him

Jenna

cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

Had to give this a bump
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Maggatha

Thank you so much!
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Cassy

Thanks for the bump!
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

I missed this the first time around. :blushing:

This was absolutely lovely. I never thought of Mick going back to the park, thinking that it would just bring sad memories of Beth and Josh. But to have him go back when he was mortal - brilliant. I understand now that he would very likely have done this.

Well done! :flowers:
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.

Return to “jen's Office”