Twists of Fate chapter 19 (PG-13)

francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Twists of Fate chapter 19 (PG-13)

Post by francis »

Disclaimer: still the same old
A/N: Thank you to my fabulous beta, redwinter101, for her help in getting the grammar, the tone, the spelling, and for culling unnecessary sentences.

Finally, we come to the B.C. episode from Josh's perspective. The twist is that they already broke up.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

link from chapter 18:
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3278

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

A week later I’d collected everything I knew or suspected about Mick in a nice little manila folder. I had tried to find out more about his former cases, getting as much as I could from Carl Davis.

In the meantime there was a new case that was puzzling me. Two deaths within a week, both young women, supposedly from drug overdoses, but the toxicology came back clean. The M.E. had nothing, except for trace amounts of silver in their bloodstream that couldn’t have been there long, as it hadn’t settled into bones or teeth yet. But who would take silver as a drug, right?

When a call came in that a third girl had convulsed and died on a photoshoot, I collected Carl Davis and headed to the scene.

To say I was surprised to find Beth and her cameraman there was an understatement. Couldn’t I have just one case without her interfering? It was bad enough that I had to work around her when we were still an item, now it was more than I could stand.

I know that I shouldn’t have shouted, or threatened her, but I couldn’t help it. I didn’t want to see her, I didn’t want her to interfere. I was glad Carl was there to deal with her. I had to admit that the tapes of the girl’s collapse would be incredibly helpful to get inside this thing.

By the time I got to interview the victim’s best friend Beth had already tackled her and she was frustrated and tired. She didn’t want to tell her story again, but I made her. Carl called me over. „I know it’s none of my business, but you’re frightening our most valuable witness. What’s the matter with you?“

I grimaced. „Beth and I broke up.“

He was shocked. „I didn’t know. I’m sorry, man. But still, try not to take it out on the girl, okay?“

„I’ll try. I’m on edge today. Sorry.“ I managed an unconvincing smile. He nodded and went back to interviewing the photographer.

I turned back to the girl, making an effort to be a bit more understanding and compassionate. She told me as much as she knew. She had been clubbing with her friend, but they had split up and the victim, whose name was Renee Beresford, had wanted to go to another new club, Club Valis. That was a lead, finally. I thanked her and called the judge to get a warrant for the club. It would be best to hold the raid until the following night to catch the weekend crowd.

The next day I was busy with another case, but Carl came in and we planned the raid; it was important to try to collect as much evidence of drug use as possible. He told me that there was a VIP area in the back that we had to close off pretty early. It was probably where the drugs were being sold. The coroner’s report gave us nothing much, traces of silver again that were probably the cause of death, and curiously some kind of chip implanted in the girls hand.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The day of the raid I got a call from the coroner: the chip was missing. I was furious. He suspected one of his employees who had been seen letting people into the morgue. I hoped Beth wasn’t one of them or she would be in serious trouble. To make matters worse, there was a picture of Renee Beresford’s cold pale face all over the internet.

On my way to the club I still felt on edge because of the breakup. I couldn’t shake the feeling that I’d made a mistake letting Beth go, that she was worth fighting for. But I guess I’d burned my bridges when I started something with Morgan. It had been wrong at the time, even when things with Beth were deteriorating.

I really liked Morgan, and if my heart was free I’d want a serious relationship with her. But for now I was still hanging onto Beth. Even when we were no longer together I felt the need to protect her. She was living a very dangerous life and she took unnecessary risks almost daily. I wasn’t sure if I was just jealous of Mick, but with the inconsistencies and unanswered questions in his file I suspected him to be dangerous. I didn’t think he was a danger to Beth. He seemed to be very concerned about her. But still, he had secrets that might put her in danger at some time.

We entered the club and the cops quickly coralled the crowd. Once I’d climbed the stairs to the VIP area and given commands to spread out and block the exits, I saw Beth, just standing there, a sheepish expression on her face. She was dressed in a very sexy outfit that I hadn’t ever seen her wearing. To top it all she was with Mick, who just stood there, calmly taking it all in.

It was the last straw. I ordered Carl to search him. I doubted we would find anything illegal on him, but it felt good to make him sweat. Then I walked past Beth to see what else was there to find.

„Let me explain, Josh, this is for a story …“ Beth started, but I waved her aside.

„Don’t bother, Beth. I’ve got work to do.“ I turned away; I had a raid to supervise.

We found packages of shiny purple crystals, almost black. They were sold in small vials of glass. I suspected we didn’t get them all, but we got enough for a toxicology test. I told Carl to arrest the bouncer. Sadly, the owner escaped over the roof. I was furious that she’d got away, but it was no-one’s fault. She was just faster than us.

With the raid over, Mick was already gone, leaving Beth was standing at the curb, shivering.

„You’re free to go, Beth. There’s no story here.“ She glared at me, but said nothing.

I offered to take her home, a peace offering of sorts. „Let me take you home, you can fetch your car another time.“

She nodded without a word. Showed me how tired she must have been.

I insisted on taking her to the door. I wanted to know what the hell she was doing in that club and this was as good a time as any to find out.

I tried to keep my voice calm. „Look, I asked you not to follow that story.“

„Fine. Be angry if you want to.“ She always managed to make it sound as though I was looking for an argument.

„I don’t want to, but what do you expect when I walk into a club we’re raiding and see you there with Mick St. John.“ Oh, that maybe was a mistake. Of course she called me on it.

„Oh, that’s what this is about.“

„How do you think that looks?“ It wasn’t about Mick. It was about her embarrassing me. Everyone still thought we were an item.

„I think it looks like I’m a good reporter who got to a drug source before the D.A.’s office. And I wasn’t there with Mick, not really. And anyway, we broke up, so it’s not really your business if I was there with Mick.“

I nodded, hurt by the coldness in her voice. „Okay, you’re right. But this isn’t about me being jealous. It’s about you putting yourself in danger, withholding information and making me look like a fool. How did you know about the club?“

„Renee’s friend told me about it.“

„Do you know anything about the owner or the drug that you’re not telling me?“

She fiddled with her purse. „No.“

This was getting nowhere. I had lost her. „Look, I’m gonna go. I’ll call you later, okay?“

„Okay.“

I went home and tried to catch some sleep. Beth and I were done. We both were free to search for love some place else. I just wasn’t sure I was ready to move on yet.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

link to chapter 20 (rated R!):
viewtopic.php?f=77&t=4071
Last edited by francis on Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wollstonecraft61
Rogue vampire

Re: Twists of Fate chapter 19 (PG-13)

Post by wollstonecraft61 »

All right, an update!!! Yeah, I can see Josh shocked at Beth to be at Club Valis with Mick! But I have no sympathy! He slept with Morgan!!! I can't forgive him for that! He thinks Beth is walking along a dangerous path. He has no idea that his path is strewn with way more perils than Beth's!!!!!!! :clapping:
Banner by the beautiful Alyssa Banner by the EXTREMELY talented eris
lila
Freelance freshie

Post by lila »

Interesting development francis... I had a lot of catching up to do, but I've enjoyed the read very much! And Josh hooking up with Morgan *shudders*. Well, she's a maneater alright, and I get the feeling that Josh doesn't know what he's getting himself into...
Thank you to Heartgram_lala for my beautiful icon.
mitzie
Courtesan

Post by mitzie »

Oh goody, an update!!! :yahoo: I think Josh is in danger if he's looking for love with Morgan!! Josh seems to be really befuddled about losing Beth and thinking she is in danger being with Mick!!! I think he should pay more attention to his own situation!!!!

I love this story and can't wait to see what happens next... :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2: :hyper2: :gasp: :dizzy: :eek2: :slaphead: :devil: :whistle: :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :notworthy: :heart: :flowers:

mitzie :mooncat:
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

Thank you, mitzie. Yes, I think Josh might be mistaken thinking Morgan is safe. But maybe Morgan is mistaken, too, if she thinks she can manipulate him.

Thank you for catching up, lila. I’m glad you enjoy it.

wollstonecraft, you still don’t have sympathy for Josh? Poor Josh falling for Morgan, the way Beth frustrated him – clearly it’s not his fault. He’s male. Hehe. :snicker:
Yes, he may be in more danger than Beth is.
bank1115
Fledgling

Post by bank1115 »

Good old Josh sure gives meaning to wanting your cake and eating it too. Here he is boinking Morgan and still getting in Beth's face. He said though when he stated he was worried she was making him look like a fool. Well Josh if the shoe fits...kays
Beautiful banner by Phoenix
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

Yay! :yahoo: I love Twists of Fate. :teeth:

Great chapter once again francis. :clapping:

Love the different dynamic that comes with them having already broken up here. You get the sense of BC but the events are slightly different because of it and the reactions are different.

Great stuff. :thumbs:
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

There are a lot of twists and turns in this Twist of Fate!

And I really am enjoyig the journey (and I am clearly not the only one)!

Thanks!!

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

When I play the evens of B.C. back in my memory, everything looks diferent in light of the events you describe here. Coraline breaks Josh and Beth up, practically dropping Beth into Mick;s lap. Surely she knows that Beth is the child she kidnapped?

:flowers: :hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix

Return to “Twists of Fate”