Never - episode 8 tag (G)

A place for Eryndil's G to PG-13 stories
Eryndil
Mortal

Never - episode 8 tag (G)

Post by Eryndil »

Never

A short scene set after episode 8, 12:04 am. This is something that came to mind as I was watching the episode for the umteenth time. Mick has all that special PI technology, after all! :biggrin:

Rating: G
Pairing: Mick/Beth
Spoilers: Episode 8
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“I could have lived my life in fear, but somehow I always felt safe. Now I know why.”

“Now you know why it can never work.”

Mick sighed and put down the report that he had been trying to read for the last hour. It was no use – his mind was too preoccupied with the events of the previous night for him to concentrate on anything else. He kept going over what Beth had said to him and every word seemed to be etched onto his memory.

At last she knew that he was the 'Guardian Angel' who had saved her as a child, and she had taken the news far better than he expected. In a way it was a relief not to have to keep it from her any more but it was also an extra complication. Another reason to avoid getting in any deeper with her. As if he needed any more reasons! He knew how dangerous relationships between vampires and humans could be – not to mention that she already had a boyfriend.

He shouldn't even be thinking about the subject and he wouldn't if it weren't for that one inescapable fact: he was in love with her. There was no way he could deny it to himself any more. And he could see that she had feelings for him, but it was a lost cause. As he had told Beth, it could never work.

He sighed again and stood up, pushing aside the papers from his latest case. He was about to turn away but instead he stopped and opened the folder that had lain underneath them. The photographs were so familiar to him that he could describe each one in detail without needing to look at them. Taken over two decades, the pictures were a visual record of Beth's life, from child to young woman. It must have been quite a shock when she saw them.

He really should have known that she would find the file that he had kept all these years. Curiosity was one of her defining qualities, after all, and his unlocked office must have been like Aladdin's cave to her. Foolish to think that advising her not to go in there would have any effect, except to make it even more tempting.

As he closed the folder and replaced it on the desk, he wondered what else she had looked at while he was out. On impulse he crossed the room and opened a cabinet on the far wall. He reached inside but then paused and withdrew his hand, hesitating as his conscience told him that what he had in mind was not entirely ethical. It took just a few seconds to overcome his qualms – Beth wasn't the only one with a curious nature.

Taking the DVD from the machine concealed inside the cabinet, he sat down at his desk again. He inserted the disk into his computer and started up the media player. He quickly found the section he was looking for, and pressed play. The hidden camera in his office gave an excellent view of the door to his apartment and he watched as the recorded footage showed Beth entering the room.

She briefly looked behind her and then walked over to his desk. Mick was rather surprised to see her pick up his sweater that was lying over the back of one of the chairs – what was she doing with that? His jaw dropped as he saw her bury her face in the dark fabric and close her eyes. Without thinking, he jabbed at the pause button and stared at the image frozen on the screen. Instinctively, he lifted his hand and reached out to touch her face, his fingers lying against her cheek.

For a long while he remained immobile, his eyes fixed on the screen as his thoughts ran in circles. Was there was some hope for them, after all, or was he simply deluding himself? The answer proved as elusive as ever. Eventually, he gave a small, rueful smile, switched off the computer and picked up the report again. No matter what he had seen in the video – no matter how they felt – nothing had changed. He was still a vampire and Beth still had a boyfriend. It was time to stop dreaming of something that would never happen.

“All I know is, ever since I met you, I've stopped using the word never.”

END.
"The show only lasted one season, but memories of Mick's gratuitous shirtless scenes will live on and on." Entertainment Weekly

Because I love Moonlight
Eryndil
Mortal

Re: Never - episode 8 tag (G)

Post by Eryndil »

"The show only lasted one season, but memories of Mick's gratuitous shirtless scenes will live on and on." Entertainment Weekly

Because I love Moonlight
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Oh this is delicious, Eryndil. I can just imagine Mick touching that screen... :cloud9:

Red

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Eryndil,

Another beautiful glimpse into a moment we should have seen....you've captured Mick's conflicted feelings of desire and caution so well. He's in love, but he 'knows' it can't work. Between the episode and you're story, I have to wonder if he didn't want her to find out who he really was.
He really should have known that she would find the file that he had kept all these years. Curiosity was one of her defining qualities, after all, and his unlocked office must have been like Aladdin's cave to her. Foolish to think that advising her not to go in there would have any effect, except to make it even more tempting.
Sort of like telling her to stay in the car.....

thanks so much for this!!
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
lorig
Fledgling

Post by lorig »

I loved it... :clapping:
Gorgeous banner by PinkiePie
Tag by Mags and coco
MoonlitRose
Fledgling

Post by MoonlitRose »

Oh Eryndil, I loved your glimpse of Mick and all of his conflicted thoughts of Beth after her tour through his office and her discovery of the photos! :thumbs:

That sniff of his sweater is so telling! Beth can't help but be drawn to Mick. All of her senses were at work, telling her that she's in love with Mick, something that her heart already knows! :heart: :heart: :heart:

It's so logical and totally cool that Mick had a surveillance tape! Excellent! :clapping: Thankyou for sharing with us!

:twothumbs:
-MoonlitRose
To view additional Graphic Art by MoonlitRose.
helloeeze
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by helloeeze »

Ah-ha! So clever to find a way so Mick could see Beth's love for him! Love to see Mick conflicted and longing for Beth! :clapping: :clapping:
wollstonecraft61
Rogue vampire

Post by wollstonecraft61 »

I like how you used modern technology to cue Mick on Beth's sensual pleasure regarding his sweater, rather than using his vamp senses. It just seems appropriate. Great job.
Banner by the beautiful Alyssa Banner by the EXTREMELY talented eris
AussieJo
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by AussieJo »

Lovely Eryndil.
I love Mick St.John, our breathtakingly gorgeous and perpetually cool vampire.
But God! he's thick! :laugh:
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

I love this! :flowers:
susieb
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by susieb »

This is just beautiful. I love it! :hearts:
Susie

Sometimes the past doesn't catch up with you, it haunts you.
fairytoes
Rogue vampire

Post by fairytoes »

I love this! Thank you! :flowers:
Wonderful Banner by Redwinter
Gorgeous Avi by Lilly
Thank you!
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »