Time is all I have (Mick/Beth, G 2010)

A place for Tam's G to PG-13 stories
Tam
Logan's WoW nemesis

Time is all I have (Mick/Beth, G 2010)

Post by Tam »

Rating : G
Spoilers : Moonlight, season 1
Summary : Mick-POV musing about passing time. Inspired by the James Blunt song “Time is all I have” (music and lyrics link can be found in the ML music tread).
First posted : right here, today.

Disclaimer : The characters are not mine, no money is being made and no infringement is intended.
Time is all I have

I was there when you went back to school after the kidnapping. I watched as you painstakingly checked under your bed for monsters every night before you went to sleep, a little less thoroughly with every passing year. I was there when you got your first bike, and one day I stopped a car before it could crush you in the curve. I don't think you saw me.

I was there when you went on your first date. I was worried, but when you kicked that guy in the nuts for trying to cup and feel I knew you'd be ok and gave you some privacy on the next dates. I did check out the boys, and I may have scared one of them off. You seemed to have forgotten about him soon, though.

I was there when you graduated, and I almost came up to you because I was so happy and so proud. I didn't. You were with your friends and your parents, and I had no part in that. I celebrated with Josef instead, without telling him what it was about. You were a part of me I kept to myself.

I read your articles for the college magazine and found them clever and intriguing. I thought the news would be a good career choice for you, even if it was at Buzzwire. I followed your online interviews. I knew you could take care of yourself by now, yet I still kept watch out of habit, out of a need to connect. But with the death of the girl, and the mere hint that it may have been a vampire, I couldn't stay away. I would not let any vampire near enough to hurt you again. I forgot to include myself.

I was there when you cried and tore our pictures, cursing my name. You can't have seen me, but you spoke to me anyway- the way you used to talk to your imaginary hero at night. Josef told me it was for the best, that I had done the right thing, that you would not have been happy, that it wasn't meant to be - but all I could think of were your last words before you fell asleep: It was my choice, too.

I was there when you accepted his ring. I knew he would never hurt you, that he could give you a future. I did not try to stop him. I watched as you hesitated at the ceremony, paused, and looked around, as if waiting for something to happen. Nothing did.

I watched when they placed Josh in your arms for the first time. You were never more beautiful than in that moment, and I knew I had done the right thing.

Your boy started lawschool today. I am still there. I think you know it. Sometimes, your lips move. From this distance, not even my vampire ears can pick it up. I like to imagine you are saying my name.
Last edited by Tam on Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Time is all I have (Mick/Beth, G 2010)

Post by francis »

This is painful to read. It's as if Moonlight is finally come to an end. Mick gave up on Beth to protect her and give her a life he thought she would want. He always was there, protecting her, but also taking the choice from her, taking the chance of experiencing grief from her.
The biggest grief in her life would be to have lost him. And yet, she lived.
I would not let any vampire near enough to hurt you again. I forgot to include myself.
This sentence sums it all up, how Mick perceives the vampire world and himself, how he constructs a chasm, a dichotomy of his world and hers. And he never got over it.

Very very sad, but wonderfully done. Thank you, Tam!
Tam
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by Tam »

francis wrote:This is painful to read. It's as if Moonlight is finally come to an end.
Oh no, I didn't want that! :hankie:

I must write something uplifting soon to counter this!!! :yes:
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

I this makes you write some more, I'm all for it.
:hearts:
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Poignant, sad and very Mick. Certain that he is the monster of the story, he allows that supposition to come between him and Beth (drat it, Josef, will you please stop giving Mr. BroodyAngstyOhWoeIsMe relationship advice!).

I read this wonderful story twice, because the first time I almost thought that Mick was talking about someone else and that he rescued Josh's mother as he later rescued Beth (then I saw the Buzzwire reference on the reread and there was no Buzzwire when Josh's mom was a child).

Love the idea of you writing something happy! Yes, please!!!

Thank you!

Jenna

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
Tam
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by Tam »

jen wrote:(drat it, Josef, will you please stop giving Mr. BroodyAngstyOhWoeIsMe relationship advice!).
*giggle* Yeah! *rolls eyes*
I read this wonderful story twice, because the first time I almost thought that Mick was talking about someone else

Sorry, I realise that may have been unclear. In my head it made sense that Mick would never stalk anyone else but Beth ;)
Love the idea of you writing something happy! Yes, please!!!
I'll try! But right now I am finding myself writing a short chapter 2 of this one, from another POV. Hmm. :)
fairytoes
Rogue vampire

Post by fairytoes »

OMG Tam! I'm in tears! This breaks my heart :hankie: Absolutely beautiful writing though, very well done.

And I have to add, I just LOVE it, when a story is inspired by a song and the author tells in the A/N. I like to read the story and listen to the song at the same time. Thank you, Tam :flowers:
Wonderful Banner by Redwinter
Gorgeous Avi by Lilly
Thank you!
Kylara
Fledgling

Post by Kylara »

THis is so sad...but its exactly the way it could have happened... :hankie: :hankie:
Banner by Phoenix
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

Add me to the list of weepers. So sad because it's so believable.

Very well done, Tam.

Red :flowers:

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
Tam
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by Tam »

Thanks everyone :blushing:

I have been playing that song on repeat all day; I heard it for the first time this morning and it just worked right away. This fic was there in 5 minutes, and its companion from another POV is almost done (but trickier). I'm not sure I should post it though, as this apparently works very well on its own and may ruin the simplicity.

A lot of James Blunt's songs make me think of Mick :Mickangel:
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

this is gorgeous. such a simple way to tell the story and yet so powerful. I had a bit of a lump in my throat when she tore their pictures. how sad. how noble Mick is.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
AussieJo
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by AussieJo »

Tam, I'm a bit with francis here. It did have a close of Moonlight feel. :hankie:
You know how us MickBethers are.... total faiytale romance all the way! :snicker:

So an upbeat one would be appreciated! :hug:
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

:hankie: :Mickangel:
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
Lucy
Ancient

Post by Lucy »

francis wrote:This is painful to read. It's as if Moonlight is finally come to an end. Mick gave up on Beth to protect her and give her a life he thought she would want. He always was there, protecting her, but also taking the choice from her, taking the chance of experiencing grief from her.
The biggest grief in her life would be to have lost him. And yet, she lived.
I would not let any vampire near enough to hurt you again. I forgot to include myself.
This sentence sums it all up, how Mick perceives the vampire world and himself, how he constructs a chasm, a dichotomy of his world and hers. And he never got over it.

Very very sad, but wonderfully done. Thank you, Tam!
I could NOT say it better than francis did.....this is beautiful :thumbs:
Tam
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by Tam »

Return to “Tam's Office”