The Right Thing (Mick/Lilah/Ray; G) 2009

A place for Tam's G to PG-13 stories
Tam
Logan's WoW nemesis

The Right Thing (Mick/Lilah/Ray; G) 2009

Post by Tam »

Rating : G
Spoilers : Ep 15 of Moonlight, season 1
Summary : Standalone ficlet – Ray comes home.
First posted : ff.net, October 2009

Disclaimer : The characters are not mine, no money is being made and no infringement is intended.
The Right Thing
The doorbell rung.
"Don't answer it," Mick said passionately, catching Lilah in his arms and playfully nipping at her earlobe with his teeth. Wet sheets flapped around them in the garden. Their world was blinding white and smelled like fresh linen and soap.
"I have to," Lilah answered, leaning into his touch, "but I'll get rid of whoever it is. You stay right here, mister." She kissed him, and the look in her eyes promised more to come. She walked backwards towards the house, pushing through the drying sheets and smiling, not wanting to turn her back on him and lose sight of his handsome face. She was lucky to have him to take care of her. Ray's death still hurt, but a little less every day. She had fallen in love with Mick, his generosity, his boyish honesty and his disarming smile.
"Lilah! Look out!" Mick called urgently; she had backed into the laundry basket and stumbled, falling into the wet sheets. Immediately, Mick was by her side, helping her up, a worried look on his face.
"I'm okay, Mick. Just a little wet," she said reassuringly, "I'm not made out of glass."
"I just don't want you to get hurt," Mick said, running a hand down her arm. The small hairs on her skin rose as he did and she shivered. The doorbell rung again.
"I'll be right back," she whispered, and hurried to the door. When she opened, she got the shock of her life.

As Lilah didn't come back right away, Mick picked up one of Lilah's nightgowns from the basket, carefully wrung it out over the grass and pinned it to the clothesline. It was probably one of the neighbours at the door with some friendly chat. He hung up a pillowcase and another sheet and then decided to go and see.
"Lilah," Mick started, coming around the porch in his shirtsleeves, "I thought you said--" He broke off when he saw her, sitting in the lap of his best friend, his arms around her, her lipstick all over his face. Mick immediately rubbed his lips, glancing at his fingers in relief as they came away clean.
"Mick! What are you doing here?" Ray exclaimed in happy surprise, wheeling his chair around with a practised ease and letting go of his wife with one hand to offer it to his friend. Mick hesitated.
"I was just-"
"Fixing the lawn mower," Lilah cut in. "Thanks again, Mick."
"Yeah," Mick replied dully, stepping up to the door to shake his friend's hand. "Don't mention it. Ray, we thought... you were dead, man."
"So did I! The docs say it's a miracle they got me back. Lost my dogtags and I was out for a few months, so no one knew who I was. I was glad they took pity on me and took care of me anyway, you know? I could have been a German..." Ray grinned. "Hey, what about you, eh? You look great, Mick. Have you finally found yourself a dame? I mean, without me around, maybe they finally noticed you, huh?" He winked at Mick playfully.
Mick pulled his hand from Ray's strong grip.
"No, I uh... I thought I had, but... it didn't work out." He looked at Lilah. She averted her eyes.
"I'm sorry," his friend offered sympathetically. Mick gave him a sad smile.
"You're really lucky to have each other," he replied.
Ray grinned. "As soon as I woke up, all I could think of was getting back to her," he said, tightening his arms around his wife. "You know, the docs say I might not... you know..." He glanced at his lap. "Won't stop me from trying though!" He chuckled and pinched Lilah in the side, making her jump and yelp. They laughed and kissed.
Mick swallowed and looked out over the street, trying not to hear them.
"I should go. You two need... some time together to... catch up. And I was done anyway. I'll just go get my repair kit and then I'll be out of your way."
He stepped down the porch.
"Mick!" Lilah called out and got up from Ray's lap, walking after him until they were out of earshot of her husband. There were tears in her eyes.
"Mick, I'm-" she started, but stopped as Mick shook his head.
"This is the way it's supposed to be, Lilah," he told her quietly, and turned his back, walking back to the garden. He bent down to the laundry basket and took out two wet men's shirts, wrung them out, draped them over his arm, and left. It was the last thing he took away with him- the smell of linen and soap.

If Ray had noticed Mick's wet shirt and Lilah's wet dress, he never mentioned it. He was home.
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: The Right Thing (Mick/Lilah/Ray; G) 2009

Post by francis »

Oh. This breaks my heart again. I read it before on ffnet and couldn't resist to read again, even when I knew it would make me sad. Poor Mick had really the most passionate love and the worst luck. :hankie:
What makes it worse is that he loved Ray, too.
Tam
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by Tam »

:hug: *sniffle* I feel awful for him, too. But still it had to be written...the heartbreak is clear on his face in ep 15.
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

Ahhhh.... heartbreaking and wonderful... :hankie:
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

How touching. I bet Mick felt like he got kicked in the gut. But he is our stand up Mick, and yes, he did the Right Thing.

Lovely short, Tam!
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

This is lovely, Tam. I can imagine it being just this way... heartbreaking for Lilah and Mick, and eventually heartbreaking for Ray, too, once he finds out the truth. Because you know the neighbors are going to talk...

This first of Mick's tragic relationships really captured my interest, and I'm happy to see that you did it such honor in this wonderful story. :hearts:
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Sad...and intense.

So many moments are completely happy for one person and something else entirely for another. Ray was home with the woman he loved. He was totally happy.

And his homecoming meant that his best friend had completely lost the happiness he thought he had found. Lilah loved both. I think she won and lost, all at the same time. That is truly sad.

But if Mick had stayed there, his life would have been very, very different. He would never met so many people who became a huge part of his life and his future.

This was both sad and very happy.

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
redwinter101
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by redwinter101 »

This is lovely, Tam - gentle and calm and quiet - and simply devastating, especially for Mick, whose voice comes through so very clearly throughout and whose dreams of the future shatter in an instant (and not for the last time :Mickangel: ).
Tam wrote:"This is the way it's supposed to be, Lilah," he told her quietly, and turned his back, walking back to the garden. He bent down to the laundry basket and took out two wet men's shirts, wrung them out, draped them over his arm, and left. It was the last thing he took away with him- the smell of linen and soap.
That's beautiful. Really lovely.

Red :flowers:

Click here for my story index

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" - Emily Dickinson
Tam
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by Tam »

Thanks :) I was inspired by the brief shot of Lilah between the hanging sheets / curtains after Beth asks : 'Was it love?' (17:35) and wanted a scene to match.

Return to “Tam's Office”