A Moment in the Sun PG 13

A place for Jen's G to PG-13 stories
jenstc2003
Rogue vampire

A Moment in the Sun PG 13

Post by jenstc2003 »

A Moment in the Sun

Disclaimer- Nope, no matter how much I wish, they’re still not mine.
Rating- PG- 13
Notes- Just a quick, happy one shot!! This is my response to a suggestion offered to me in response to “The Conversation” on MLL- what else happened while Mick and Beth were on their date at the beach in FTP.

*Beth*
I adore Mick- whether or not I should, I do. I just need to know how he feels, and I desperately need to apologize for acting like a bitch when he came over after Josh was killed. That’s why I finally called him and invited him over here. He’s never late, so I know he’ll be here soon. Then I see him coming towards me as I put the last of the picnic supplies out on the blanket. My jaw drops as I see the sun highlighting his dark hair and a smile on his face, his shirt open, blowing in the wind. He looks so confident- checking out a few of the ladies as he walks down the beach, a beautiful smile on his face lighting up his fantastic eyes. I’d never seen him so happy. Then he sees me, and hurries to my side, smiling when he sees the picnic I’d packed. As he walks over, I take a few pictures to give to him later, and a couple of more as we eat. He looks so damned happy.

After a few words of welcome, he sits down, joking about the nasty cuts on his face while his eyes check out the spread in front of us, more comfortable than I’ve ever seen him. I can’t help commenting on it. Mortality definitely suits him. If this is how he was as a human, I can imagine a hundred reasons Coraline wanted him. But how she could have cut his life short- condemned him to a life he might not- and in fact didn’t- want, I’ll never understand. The smile never leaves his lips until I ask him how long his time as a human might last. When he admits it might be less than six months, I can feel the pain in his voice. But his next words are more confident- I don’t want to have any regrets. So- maybe he’s got the same things on his mind as I do. I jump in with both feet at that- apologizing for what happened after Josh’s death.

He asks me about the engagement ring- surprising me a bit- so I plunge into the other part of what I needed to tell him. I care more about him than I had ever cared for anyone, and I know I couldn’t have accepted Josh’s proposal if he’d had the chance to ask me. I don’t dare say “I love you” first with him- he has to make that step himself- but I want him to know that I do. I don’t have to tell him that I’d sent the ring back to Josh’s family the day after the funeral, and had been crying more about hurting Mick than not having Josh in my life since that same day. There’ll be time for that later. I snap a couple of more pictures of him with the IPhone, and wait to see what the day has in store.

*Mick*
She looks so beautiful today. I have missed her so much these past few days, but I know she had to deal with losing Josh in her own way. I was never happier than when she finally called me, though. And now, all I know is that I’m savoring every second- the sun on my skin, the sweet taste of the strawberry, the salty tang on the air, and the crystal perfection in her laughter.

I truly can’t believe I’m hearing when she says that there’s someone else she cares for more than Josh. I can only hope that means what I think it does. It’s the perfect chance, if she does mean it that way. But what if she means someone else? I let the moment pass- like a fool, maybe. Instead, I just nod, smiling and letting the words sink in.

Finally, I break the silence, stumbling for the right words. I don’t want to get her hopes up- but I don’t want to give her the wrong impression, either, so I have to choose my words carefully. It’s just that we have a lot to get through before we’ll be able to have anything approaching a normal relationship, which is what I want most with her. “Beth- you know I care about you- maybe too much. But, let’s just take this one step at a time, alright? We have a little time for now- let’s just enjoy it. I don’t want to rush things- not without some idea of when...”

She responds with a quiet nod, and then takes a sip of her wine. We make small talk for a while as we finish up our lunch, the good mood returning as we share the delicious fruit, and some wonderful chicken salad sandwiches and broccoli salad. I think I’d actually forgotten how much fun it is to share a real meal with someone you love. It’s not like I’d had much experience with it lately, after all. But maybe things can be different- at least for now. I have to believe that, and I can’t let myself think of what will happen when the cure wears off. I’ll handle that when the time comes- right now, I just know that I have to take advantage of every chance I have to really live again.

After we’re finished with the enormous lunch, I help her gather the picnic things and take them up to her car. Once they’re stashed safely in the trunk, she takes my hand and heads us towards the board walk, where I can see a number of large rides and a long area of carnival concessions waiting for us. “I haven’t ridden the Cyclone in years!” I follow her, smiling and just letting myself enjoy whatever comes. I haven’t ever ridden a roller coaster, so maybe this will be fun.

*Beth*
We get in line for the Cyclone but Mick is definitely not enthused- tense is more like it. “What’s up, Mick? Are you OK?”

“Never done this before is all. I’m not a big fan of heights.” I can’t help laughing at that- who knew Mick was scared of heights! I take his hand, massaging it until we’re in a car and beginning the first climb. Listening to him scream on the way down is simply priceless!

By the time we reach the last hill, my hand feels like it might have been crushed from the pressure of his hand over mine on the safety bar, but he’s smiling and gushing about what a rush it was. “Better than anything, is it?”

“Well, I can think of a few things… but we’re not ready for that just yet. “

“Stubborn man!” I tell him, shaking my head in mock annoyance.

“Well, here’s an appetizer!” He says, kissing me softly on my lips. “I want you to know that it will be worth the wait, OK?”

Just that promise is enough for now. I nod and take his hand, leading him to the nearest concession stand and buying us a bag of cotton candy to share as we make our way along the boardwalk. The look on his face when he tastes it is worth the extravagant price. “I’d forgotten how good this stuff is!”

“Yeah. I thought you might have.” I grin at him, watching a childlike happiness take over those gorgeous features as he savors the sticky fluff. It’s like he’s 20 odd years younger!

“It was a novelty when I was little- and I don’t remember it being nearly this good. But maybe it’s just that everything is better right now.” He wraps his arm around me with a contented sigh and we continue down the long walkway, listening to the music from the concession stands and the various musicians playing for donations, lost in thought.

Every time we pass one of the musicians, he drops a dollar bill into their open guitar case or donation jar- which makes me wonder if he once did the same thing. I know he was a musician at one time, so it’s not beyond the realm of possibility. Maybe he’ll tell me sometime- but right now isn’t the right time to ask. He just pulls me closer, humming along with some of the songs and smiling.

*Mick*
Just the knowledge that Beth is with me, and that she is comfortable with this whole situation, makes this one of the most perfect days of my life. Her head resting on my shoulder just feels right, somehow.

We eat our way through the French fry vendors and candy apple stands to the games part of the concession area, and I stop her in front of a baseball toss. “Now- pick out the prize you want, Beth. I’ll get it for you!”

“Alright! I want the big purple dog up there!” In the area with the biggest prizes there is a gigantic purple dog- the biggest thing I can see among the prizes on display. I quickly hand the guy behind the counter a five and begin the quest for the dog, Beth laughing beside me. I definitely don’t have the vamp coordination I’m used to, but I manage to get it for her half an hour and several dollars later. As I hand it to her, she kisses me lightly, then we head back towards our cars, “Sparky”, as the dog had already been christened, between us. On the way, we stop to ride the Tilt a Whirl and the Scrambler, laughing and squealing like a couple of ten year olds. I haven’t had this much fun since I was a kid, and I swear I feel like someone has pulled a one ton weight off of my shoulders.

*Beth*
We walk back to the cars after riding the Scrambler, holding hands and discussing plans for the night. The twilight over the ocean is one of the most beautiful I can remember- red tinged with purple and pinks reflected in the relatively calm mirror of the ocean.

But I hadn’t expected to have to work. I’d turned the phone off after we got to the beach, knowing I wanted to be alone with him, and so when we get to the car, I check it for the first time. Six calls from Maureen. Great. I give him a sad look when I see that. “The boss lady would like me to call her. I guess we’ll have to do dinner another time.”

With that, he kissed me- much more passionately than he had before, his hands strong against my back as he pulls me close and his lips like velvet on mine. “Just be careful, OK? I’ll call you later and we can decide when to reschedule once you know what you’re up against at work.”

“Alright. I’ll look forward to it.” He’d held my hand as he walked away until finally we had to let go, then he’d blown me a kiss and headed for his own car, smiling more broadly than I can remember seeing him smile in the sunset glow.
Jen

Mick's Synful One
kpyle
Freelance freshie

Re: A Moment in the Sun PG 13

Post by kpyle »

That was a wonderful conversation between the two of them. I do not remember reading this one before. I do love when you wonderful writers fill in the blanks between episodes and scenes for us. This one was a great addition. Kelly
Thank you Pinkie for my Amazing Banner!
jenstc2003
Rogue vampire

Post by jenstc2003 »

*Hugs Kelly* I'm glad you enjoyed it!
kpyle wrote:That was a wonderful conversation between the two of them. I do not remember reading this one before. I do love when you wonderful writers fill in the blanks between episodes and scenes for us. This one was a great addition. Kelly
Jen

Mick's Synful One
jenstc2003
Rogue vampire

Post by jenstc2003 »

*Postie*
Jen

Mick's Synful One
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Jen

That was absolutely lovely. I could see this play out, with Alex and Sophia as Mick and Beth. The easy warmth between them is priceless.

Thank you!

Jenna

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
jenstc2003
Rogue vampire

Post by jenstc2003 »

*Smiles* Thanks!! I could see it in my minds eye when I wrote it, too! Just seemed exactly what I could see happening to a T. I'm so glad you enjoyed it!
jen wrote:Jen

That was absolutely lovely. I could see this play out, with Alex and Sophia as Mick and Beth. The easy warmth between them is priceless.

Thank you!

Jenna

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
Jen

Mick's Synful One
AussieJo
Logan's WoW nemesis

Post by AussieJo »

Hi Dr Jen !:wave:
I loved reading this again, sigh....... :cloud9:
Thank goodness for fanfiction, and the wonderful authors that write it, that's all I can say! :smooch:
Hoping you are well. :hug:
jenstc2003
Rogue vampire

Post by jenstc2003 »

*hugs fiercely* AUSSIE JO!! Missed ya Chica! Doing well... just starting a new job, and trying to entice the muses into another chapter of Family. No fun at all when they aren't present. Hope all's well Chez AussieJo!
Jen

Mick's Synful One
maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: Beautiful, beautiful!! What a great day they had! It makes me sad that they lost all those possibilities...

:clapping: :clapping:
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .
BlueEyedMonster
Fledgling

Post by BlueEyedMonster »

Jen thank you for keeping Moonlight alive. I see this so clearly in my mind.

You rock. :twothumbs:
jenstc2003
Rogue vampire

Post by jenstc2003 »

Thanks!!!! :ghug: It is sad- I have always wondered what more we missed in that scene, lol. And let's not start thinking about what happened after the door shut at the end of the series.
maggatha3 wrote::clapping: :clapping: :clapping: Beautiful, beautiful!! What a great day they had! It makes me sad that they lost all those possibilities...

:clapping: :clapping:
Jen

Mick's Synful One
jenstc2003
Rogue vampire

Post by jenstc2003 »

Aww!! Thank you!! I'm glad you enjoyed it!!
BlueEyedMonster wrote:Jen thank you for keeping Moonlight alive. I see this so clearly in my mind.

You rock. :twothumbs:
Jen

Mick's Synful One
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Jen

Wonderful reread!

It fits so wonderfully right at that place. Both are hopeful, but a little unsure and even a touch shy. The attraction is there and undeniable on both sides but they see a little hesitant to take the next step so they just enjoy the moment, and it is perfect.

Thank you for filling in the blanks.

Lovely!

Jenna

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
jenstc2003
Rogue vampire

Post by jenstc2003 »

Thanks Jen!!! :flowers: I think you hit it on the head- shy and maybe even a little scared of where this might lead, but definitely not wanting to miss an opportunity to spend time together, either.
Jen

Mick's Synful One

Return to “Jenstc2003's Office”