Torches (PG-13) - Challenge #115

A place for GuardianAngel's G to PG-13 stories
jen
Cleaner

Re: Torches (PG-13) - Challenge #115

Post by jen »

GA

Had to read this again and yes, I guess I's guilty of recommending fics I consider exceptional and this one certainly qualifies.

In this reading (and I've lost count how many times I've read this treasure) I was struck in with all the names Josef and Beth could come up with each other.

Beth for Josef

gramps; Grandpa Josef; Poppy and all the Grandfather related references are fair game now

Josef for Beth

Of course, 'Princess' but also 'Brat', or 'Apple' (as in doesn't fall far from the tree-ow, I know, but that's the point)

The roles are all slightly different now.

Fabulous

Thanks!

Jenna
Last edited by jen on Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
coco
Cleaner

Post by coco »

This is just fabulous, GA. What an interesting twist and an excellent answer to the challenge. :clapping:
coco's Fan Vids/coco's Graphic Art
Avi by TugaFanatic & banner by me. Thank you.

"Maybe it was her blood in my veins that let me feel her. The beating of her very living heart. Or maybe, we've always been connected." Mick & Beth - Moonlight

coco's YT channel
coco's Vimeo channel
100% Moonlight Tumblr
:twothumbs:
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Read this earlier today and wasn't going to leave a note as it was only a few months ago that I left the last one (I just love this fic and reread it periodically).

Well, I changed my mind. Not about loving this fic, I still think it is amazing, but about leaving a note.

This touches on a lot of themes that aren't discussed much but we have all noticed, like similar characteristics in Beth and Josef.

Fabulous, fabulous fic!

Thank you!
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Well, how the heck did I miss this gem for so long?! Not only have you erased Josef's one regret that he didn't leave any human progeny... you've brought a whole new level of "difficult, dangerous, and complicated" to Mick's and Beth's relationship. :devil:

I love the idea of Beth as Josef's great-great-(...)-granddaughter... and it's a brilliant touch to make Josef be the reason for the Legion coming to pass in the first place! What a deliciously ironic twist, GA... and it's a great touch that the necklace brings the whole story to light. That necklace, symbol of so much love and so much hate, is the connection between Josef's tormented past and a future filled with a new hope, one Josef never thought to see. :hearts:

Oh, man - this brings up so many interesting new questions! Did Coraline know, or suspect something, when she kidnapped Beth so long ago? What's Josef's blood type? And how's he gonna feel about that young upstart St. John daring to love HIS descendant?! :snicker:

Thank you for this wonderful story!
librarian_7
Forever Moonlightaholic

Post by librarian_7 »

Holy COW. I cannot believe I'd missed this one. **smacks forehead**

This is great. Just...great.

So many eloquent comments have been written about it, I won't go for the full re-hash, but I wanted to say that this Josef is spot on. Mick and Beth, too. But especially Josef. That vamp surely has many dark secrets in his past...and he only lets them out as absolutely necessary.

I love this story, GA. Just love it.

Lucky
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

maggatha3 wrote:Hey, Guardian Angel, Jenna suggested this story and was right once again. Fabulous writing and you made it so believable. THe characters were so in canon and Josef's past story was so touching. No wonder this man is as attractive as he is- don't mean his looks- there is so much inside him, a treasure. Beth fits so well as his descendant, they are alike in more than one ways . Lucky Beth, Mick and Josef attached on her like that... :hearts:
I agree, you can tell there is a deepness in Josef that makes him fascinating and that paranoia must come from somewhere. He and Beth do share some characteristics. This is as good a reason as any. :)

Jenna, once again, thank you for the wonderful PR and for coming back to reread. You are simply the best.
coco wrote:This is just fabulous, GA. What an interesting twist and an excellent answer to the challenge.
Why, thank you, coco. I thought it was a pretty neat twist. LOL
alle wrote:Well, how the heck did I miss this gem for so long?! Not only have you erased Josef's one regret that he didn't leave any human progeny... you've brought a whole new level of "difficult, dangerous, and complicated" to Mick's and Beth's relationship.

I love the idea of Beth as Josef's great-great-(...)-granddaughter... and it's a brilliant touch to make Josef be the reason for the Legion coming to pass in the first place! What a deliciously ironic twist, GA... and it's a great touch that the necklace brings the whole story to light. That necklace, symbol of so much love and so much hate, is the connection between Josef's tormented past and a future filled with a new hope, one Josef never thought to see.

Oh, man - this brings up so many interesting new questions! Did Coraline know, or suspect something, when she kidnapped Beth so long ago? What's Josef's blood type? And how's he gonna feel about that young upstart St. John daring to love HIS descendant?!

Thank you for this wonderful story!
:notworthy: :blushing: I'm delighted you enjoyed my idea of the Legion and the use of the necklace to bring it all together. This is one of those stories that just popped out of nowhere and made some good sense. LOL
Lucky wrote:Holy COW. I cannot believe I'd missed this one. **smacks forehead**

This is great. Just...great.

So many eloquent comments have been written about it, I won't go for the full re-hash, but I wanted to say that this Josef is spot on. Mick and Beth, too. But especially Josef. That vamp surely has many dark secrets in his past...and he only lets them out as absolutely necessary.

I love this story, GA. Just love it.

Lucky
:yahoo: If you loved this Josef then I KNOW I did good. I'm thrilled that you gave Torches a read and liked it. I agree - Josef holds his cards very close to his chest and doesn't give anyone else a peek unless he has too. I suppose that's how he's managed to live so long.
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Love seeing some of these wonderful Moonlight classics back on Active Topics!

This is one of these delightful fics that makes the reader feel like it is Christmas morning and they have just received the most wonderful gift!

Thank you. GA!!!

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

I'm so glad this popped back up. It's one of my all time favourites. :clapping:
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

I have to confess to an alterior motive when I hunted this classic up for a reread--I wanted to find a favorite fic to see if there were any more April Fools Day changes that I hadn't spotted and was caught up in the Moonlight magic in spite of the silliness.

Despite the pudding, talent, hickies and rearranged proper nouns, this is still a rip roaring great story!!!!

Thank you!

Jenna

jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

I have left so many gushy comments on this fic that it is embarrassing.

The charm and mood of Moonlight is all here, in generious abundance but also you have given us a wonderful new wrinkle in Beth's ancestors including...Josef!

This is absolutely one of my favorites, but you already know that by now!

Thank you!

Jenna

cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

I can't believe I missed this story. It is fantastic. I love the idea of Beth and J being related. I am so glad I'm revisiting old challenges

Return to “GuardianAngel's Office”