Wolf in Sheep's Clothing - Part Two (PG-13)

A place for GuardianAngel's G to PG-13 stories
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Wolf in Sheep's Clothing - Part Two (PG-13)

Post by GuardianAngel »

This is part two of a three part story.

Warning: There is some foul language in this story.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. I do not own these characters (although try telling that to my subconscious mind between 12:00 and 6:00 am)

rijane, Oh Wise One, you are just wonderful. I can't thank you enough. And I have to also thank PNWgal for listening while I worked out the scene in my head and never telling me to shut up.

Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing
(Part II)

I trusted her. I trusted her and she went behind my back. To JOSEF!

His disdainful laugh echoed through the car and its rebound only served to fuel his despondent thoughts. That’s what I get for trusting a woman. Vampire and human, they’re all alike.

“Guess that’s one lesson you didn’t teach me well enough, huh, Coraline?” He glanced at himself in the rearview mirror and laughed again. “You’re a fool, St. John.” The ride to Beth’s apartment was a blur of self recrimination and bitterness that swelled and seared as it bubbled over. He’d been angry with Josef but he had no illusions when it came to the older vampire. Josef, a dangerous combination of predator and cynic, would find this amusing. One vamp’s comedy, another vamp’s tragedy. But Mick couldn’t find the humor. His jaw tensed and teeth ground as he thought of the petite blonde toasting him, “to vampires”, as only yards away, Foster’s throat was being ripped out and the blood drained from his body. A performance that, in its believability, put Coraline to shame.

A coy smile. A wolfish grin. Whispers of secrecy. The images ignited a slow burn in his chest. It simmered just below a boil. The deception hurt. No two ways about it. The pain was a poisonous spore that anchored into his undead heart. It was a constant throb, a gnawing that left him feeling hollow and aching.

The Mercedes pulled up to the curb, tires squealing at the abrupt stop. Mick turned to swipe the photos from the seat beside him, sending them sliding to the floor in his haste.

“Fuck.”

He snatched the photos from the car floor and rested them on the steering wheel as he reassembled them in a pile. The ethereal glow of the moonlight rested on the top photo. Mick’s eyes were drawn to the glint of gold against the dark background. Of their own accord his fingers reached to trace the blonde hair of the woman bending over him in the picture. Her face was scared, her arms reaching for him. I love you. Her sweet, tender avowal wafted through his mind. His eyes closed against the sudden burn and he rested his head on the wheel.

Mick’s hands fisted as other words began to come, like garrulous ghosts, haunting and mocking. I don’t think I can do this anymore. But this is who you were, not who you are. She was a human trying to adjust to a vampire world. His world.

The raw anger abated. He knew Beth had not meant to deceive him. She meant to protect him. But this was all wrong. Mick sat back and stared at her house, up at her window. Beth should not have felt compelled to do what she did. That she did was his fault.

Curling the photos in his hand Mick exited the car and entered the building.

Beth was setting down an ant trap under her sink when she heard the wrap on her door. It was loud and sharp and so unexpected that she nearly knocked the top of her head on the underside of the sink. She glanced at the clock and determined that it was a little late on a weeknight for a casual caller and she wasn’t expecting anyone; Mick didn’t say he’d be coming by. So it was with some surprise that she found him on her doorstep.

“Mick!” Beth stepped back as his dark gaze settled on her and his eyes held hers as he stepped in. “What’s wrong?” When she got no response the first pangs of apprehension nibbled at her stomach.

Without breaking eye contact, he silently handed Beth the pictures curled in his fist. The pangs grew teeth.

“How….where did you get these?”

Mick released a humorless laugh at her choice of question. It was exactly what he had asked Josef. For irony’s sake he decided to give her a version of the same answer he received. “I think you know. The real question is, how did he get them?” The teeth became fangs. Beth had never heard Mick use this silk over steel tone of voice before.

She backed up until her back hit the counter and braced herself against it. After a quick internal debate Beth came to the conclusion that she couldn’t lie. Not only would Mick know but she found that she didn’t want to. “I gave the pictures to Josef after Foster emailed them to me.” The instant relief she felt at the admission was proof that she’d made the right choice. She hadn’t realized just what a weight the secret had been.

“Why? Why did you call Josef? Why didn’t you bring them to me?”

“Because….” Mick raised his eyebrows in expectation and it suddenly made her angry, feeling as if she had done something so terrible. She continued with some heat in her voice, “Because you already had enough on your plate. He sent those pictures to me and I did something about it. Is that so wrong?”

“Is that so wrong? Beth, you sent a man to his DEATH!” He took a couple steps towards her, punctuating the word ‘sent’ by pointing towards the door.

“He would have sent you to yours.” Beth stepped closer and poked him in the chest. “He was slime and the world is better off without him.”

Mick, stunned, stared at the petite blonde before him. Her cheeks were pink with ire and her eyes snapped with blue heat. She was so beautiful. But he didn’t recognize this Beth. This Beth who had no remorse for killing a man.

“So you did this for me? And you don’t think there is anything wrong with having a man murdered?”

“Not if he deserved it, no.” With that, Beth turned towards the kitchen and began to clear things off the counter. She lifted a dish and jumped back in alarm as she encountered a plump, frantic black ant. Beth quickly knocked it to the floor and brought her slipper down on it. Hard.

Beth looked up and caught his expression. She didn’t have to be a mind reader to know exactly what he was thinking. She released a loud sigh and turned to him with arms crossed and hip cocked.

“Explain to me how what happened with Foster is any different than what happened with Emma. Why is it okay for you to eliminate a liability but not me?”

“That wasn’t my decision.”

She raised her eyebrows in disbelief. “No? You didn’t rescue her from prison so that she could be put to death?”

“She put all of us at risk, Beth. It was a joint decision that she be put to death.”

“Foster did the same thing. I just took a shortcut.”

Mick looked up at the ceiling, his jaw and fists clenching. They were at an impasse.

Beth realized they weren’t going to get anywhere this way. She approached the distressed vampire and stroked his arm, her touch soft and pleading.

“Mick, look. You’ve done so much for me. I didn’t want to burden you with this. I knew it would bother you.”

He looked down and locked eyes with her, stepping back in rejection of her gentle caress. He couldn’t believe what she was saying. His face contorted and his voice was sharp with anguish. “You did this to repay me? You think you owe me?”

“No. Kind of. You’re bending my words.” Beth spun around and sat down on the couch with a huff. She ran her hands over her face and then stared at Mick, trying to form the right words. Some magic words that would erase this and make them okay again.

“You’ve protected me, Mick. Almost my whole life. You tried to kill your wife to rescue me. You’ve saved me more times than I can count. I saw an opportunity where I could protect you.” Her heart began to accelerate and she could feel a lump begin to form in her throat which caused her voice to become husky. “You had just been re-Turned. For me. To save me. How do you think that makes me feel? So when I got those photos from Foster I freaked out a little. But I wasn’t going to lay it on you.” Her eyes pleaded with him to understand.

Mick tried to understand her reasoning. Hid really did. But all he could hear was her need to repay him for protecting her. Protecting her from the dangers he’d exposed her to. Without realizing what he was doing, Mick began to rub his chest, trying to relieve the pressure that was building. His fingers kneaded and rubbed across his heart.

“I’m destroying you. I didn’t watch over you for all these years just to destroy you myself.”

Beth began to panic at the note of despair in his voice. She felt all the agonizing progress that they had made, struggled for, unraveling in just minutes. No, she thought, it couldn’t happen. She couldn’t bear that.

“Mick, don’t. Don’t do this. Don’t blame yourself. We’re past that.”

He slowly shook his head. His hand began to claw at his chest.

Her panic blossomed into terror.

With her blood pounding in her ears she didn’t know he was speaking until his movement towards the door drew her eyes to his face.

“…..wrong. I’m sorry, Beth.” He shut the door before she could get to him.

Her fingers frantically grasped at the knob. Nonononono. Her fingers slipped over it as the sweat from her palms smeared the metal and denied her friction. Nonononono. The word in her mind kept beat with her labored breathes. Nonononono. The handle finally turned and Beth propelled herself into the hall. “Mick. Mick! MICK!”

He was gone.

Once last shout out, to Hydriotaphia. The ant idea came from her.
mitzie
Courtesan

Re: Wolf in Sheep's Clothing - Part Two (PG-13)

Post by mitzie »

Very intense chapter! Mick still blaming himself every chance he gets.

Off to read the last part!

mitzie
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

GA,

H may have come up with the ant idea, but you made it work...even to the point of Beth nearly banging her head on the cabinet. I just hope Mick isn't beyond reach now. He just can't walk away.
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
wpgrace
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by wpgrace »

GuardianAngel wrote:“So you did this for me? And you don’t think there is anything wrong with having a man murdered?”

“Not if he deserved it, no.” With that, Beth turned towards the kitchen and began to clear things off the counter. She lifted a dish and jumped back in alarm as she encountered a plump, frantic black ant. Beth quickly knocked it to the floor and brought her slipper down on it. Hard.

Beth looked up and caught his expression. She didn’t have to be a mind reader to know exactly what he was thinking. She released a loud sigh and turned to him with arms crossed and hip cocked.
:pinklol: And this part always makes me laugh...

But of course they are both hypocrits... cause she originally freaked out about Emma... sigh...the tortured path of true love...
Banner by redwinter101. I miss you, Beloved.
Awesome avatar by the awesome, clever, and gracious Lilly.

If you read a lot of books you are considered well read. But if you watch a lot of TV, you're not considered well viewed. Lilly Tomlin

Grateful to Alex for Mick, Andy, and McG. :)
Kara
Fledgling

Post by Kara »

Mick thinks Beth is worse than Coraline? Oh man. That's way too harsh. :eek2: :no: And he walks out on her. Wow. :sigh:

Such drama you're weaving. :clapping: :clapping:
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Superb, and very in character.

He will work thru it. (He BETTER work thru it)

:hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers: :hearts: :flowers:
Mick and Beth--two of the lovely faces of Moonlight
Beautiful banner by the Fabulous Phoenix
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

For crying out loud, Mick!!! She loves you, you big doofus! A threat to you IS a threat to her--can't you see that.

Off to find Part 3. :biggrin:

Thanks

Jenna

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
jen
Cleaner

Post by jen »

Mick St. John.

P.I.

Vampire

IDIOT!!!!!
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

wow, GA, so many great things about this chap. You take us through so many changes...

firstly, you had me really worried by Mick's thoughts right at the start, the way Beth's actions were likened to Coraline's behavior was frightening because of its utter plausibility, I could understand why he might see it that way. then he begins to soften, knowing that it was to protect him... but his moral compass, it seems, is a lot different to hers..
GA wrote: “Is that so wrong? Beth, you sent a man to his DEATH!” He took a couple steps towards her, punctuating the word ‘sent’ by pointing towards the door.
Wow. I could SEE that happening, the shocked outrage. And her reply is chilling. I think here you've really captured the scary Beth we sometimes saw in the series, the ruthlessness. So like Mick to blame himself for putting her in this position too. Great stuff.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
maggatha3
Ancient

Post by maggatha3 »

“I’m destroying you. I didn’t watch over you for all these years just to destroy you myself.”
Give it to Mick to see the whole situation exactly like that! It is all his fault again! Guardian Angel, I love the way you keep them true to themselves!

:rose: :rose:
-It never ends well...
-Never?
Gorgeous avatar by our talented Lilly .
Banner by the amazing friend Hot Micks!!! .

Return to “GuardianAngel's Office”