Things That Go Bump In The Night (Challenge #151) Rated PG

A place for GuardianAngel's G to PG-13 stories
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Things That Go Bump In The Night (Challenge #151) Rated PG

Post by GuardianAngel »

This has been in my head for the last couple days. I've written it quickly and it is unbeta'ed so that I could post it by the deadline.

Things That Go Bump In The Night

Three small fairies float across the screen, each a different color, intent on bestowing the infant princess with a gift. Everyone in the kingdom had been invited to pay homage to the baby girl. The first gift was the gift of beauty, the second was a gift of song. But before the third fairy, a cute chubby one all dressed in blue, can announce her gift she is interrupted. There’s lightning and a crash of thunder. In the middle of the castle hall appears a cloud of green smoke that clears quickly, revealing a handsome, statuesque woman covered in a black and purple cloak, a large, menacing raven flies down and lands on the top of her staff. She smiles. Her voice is regal and respectful. At first. But as it becomes clear that she alone has not been invited to the gala she announces her own gift to the infant. A spell that proclaims that the princess, on her sixteenth birthday, would die.

A blonde head dips below a flowered blanket as an evil laugh emits from the television and the intimidating creature disappears in a burst of flame.

“You don’t have to be afraid, Sweetie.” The little girl’s mother laid a comforting hand on the small head.

“She’s scary. I don’t like her.” One blue eye peeked out from beneath the covers to blink at her mother.

Scooping her daughter on to her lap, the woman laughed at the little girl’s vehement statement. “She’s not real, Beth. She’s only make believe.” When she only received a disbelieving scowl from her daughter she laughed again. “She’s a cartoon, Honey. She can’t hurt you.”

“She wants that baby Princess to die! She’s a mean witch. She smiles and tries to looks like a person but she’s a monster.” Beth threw her arms around her mother’s neck and settled her face against a warm shoulder.

“That is the point Disney wants to make, yes. But she doesn’t succeed. You’ve seen the movie before, Honey, you know she doesn’t kill the Princess. And none of it is real. Monsters aren’t real.” Getting no response from the girl curled against her she just rubbed her back. “How about we skip the movie tonight and I read to you in bed? Something fun?” Feeling the nod slide along her neck, the woman lifted the girl and carried her off to bed.

Sleepy blue eyes blinked open. It was still night. The little girl knew this from the darkness and the quiet that surrounded her. She’d fallen asleep right after her Mommy had tucked her in. But something had wakened her. What was it?

Frightened, she lie still, scanning the room with her eyes. Beth searched the shadows that recoiled from the ray of moonlight coming through her window. There was no movement. No sound. Nothing. But she knew.

She was not alone.

Slowly, Beth pulled her teddy bear in to her chest, hugging him hard. The young girl resisted the urge to scream, inexplicably sure that whatever was in her room would hurt her mother.

Panicked, she began to shiver, whimpering as shadows, viewed through a layer of tears, creeped and blended in the corners of her room.

Finally, a whisper of sound, a rasp of fabric and a figure appeared beside her bed. A woman. Her hair was dark like her mothers. So were her eyes. She was pretty. Like a princess.

The pretty lady beckoned for Beth to be quiet as she reached down and ran cool fingers across her cheek.

And smiled.

Beth’s breathe stopped, her eyes widening with terror. Before she could make a sound, those frigid fingers were over her mouth and she was being pulled from her bed.

The little girl had no idea why she was being taken or where. But she did know one thing. Her mother had been wrong.

Monsters DID exist.
MickLifeCrisis
100% Moonlightaholic

Re: Things That Go Bump In The Night (Challenge #151) Rated

Post by MickLifeCrisis »

Oh GA! That gave me shivers right down my spine to my toes!! :eek2:

Terrific job! Thanks for posting! :twothumbs:
MickLifeCrisis
Many thanks to Twilightdew for my banner and avi.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

Oh, my gosh--what what a nightmare come to life! I never really thought about how much Coraline might be thought to resemble Maleficent. Poor mama, she thought she was doing the right thing, comforting her little girl by saying monsters don't exist. But she didn't know. How could she know? (To misquote Mick.) :winky:

This is a shivery-good Halloween tale. Thank you, GA!! :hug:
Fleur de Lisa
100% Moonlightaholic
Location: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the gorgeous man on the right>

Post by Fleur de Lisa »

Holy crap. :gasp: :eek2:

That was scary.

Brava, GA!!
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

Thank you, Ladies. :ghug: :heart:

I had it playing around in my head for a few days but didn't think I'd get it written fast enough to post in time.

Personally, I love Maleficent. She's my favorite Disney Villain(ess).
r1015bill
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by r1015bill »

Very scary. :eek2:

Interesting intuition that Beth had about Coraline hurting her mother if she made any noise.
darkstarrising
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by darkstarrising »

Well played, GA :hug: This story sent shivers down my spine!!

I could see the resemblance of Maleficent to Coraline, especially through Beth's eyes. The poor child has only just gotten over her fear of a fictional evil character only to wake and find a real one in her room. Her response is so real - crying quietly and whimpering, not knowing who this person is and what is going to happen to her. :eek2:
darkstarrising
Love – the universal language, the story of Moonlight
View My Fanfic Index

Thanks to the talented and generous Phoenix for my beautiful banner!
Luxe de Luxe
Sire

Post by Luxe de Luxe »

Oooh, I like the Sleeping Beauty / Baby Beth connection. The metaphor is perfect.... right down to the fact that the evil fairy never wanted the girl to grow up. Eeek.. I've got the shivers.
Banner by the talented Hot Micks
francis
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by francis »

This gives me shivers. :chair: And Coraline really reminds me of the evil witch. :laugh:
GuardianAngel
Courtesan

Post by GuardianAngel »

:ghug: Thank you.

Evil is evil and I think children are often very perceptive in sensing it.

I thought the Sleeping Beauty analogy fit well with this scene for a lot of reasons. The Maleficent/Coraline comparison stands on a lot of levels. I think that Maleficent was misunderstood, that she only did what she did because she was tired of not being accepted. She then tries to stop a child from ever growing up - by bestowing upon her a 'gift'. But that gift is thwarted and the child grows up under protective watch, the truth hidden from her.
allegrita
Moonlightaholic Admin

Post by allegrita »

That's so interesting! :chin:
cassysj
100% Moonlightaholic

Post by cassysj »

What an interesting take on this challenge. I think I missed it the first time.

Return to “GuardianAngel's Office”